Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 636
    So...after the shit show of the Fury circus and AJ not fighting until Dec? We have the juggernaut Joe Joyce tonight with what should be another cracking fight.

I really like Joe (because he's local) and find him a bit refreshing as all the hungrier fighters are, not sure about the Ricky Hatton style of fighting with your face but he does seem to take a hell of a shot and gives out plenty in return, his last fight against Parker was incredible and Zhilei Zhang is another lump who can throw.

Should be interesting and a good fight, who you got?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6977
    edited April 2023
    Zhang did well against Hrgovic - probably should have won or at least got a draw but he was absolutely fucked in parts of the 12 rounder. 

I think The Juggernaught will make shorter work of it and if he doesn’t it’ll be a very uncomfortable 36 mins for ‘Big Bang’.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    Having stopped both Dubois and Parker Joyce had to be among the most dangerous in the division I think.  Outlasts as much as devastates but that’s dangerous in itself. Hopefully stoppage win then a fight with AJ/Fury/Usyk/Wilder (insert the name of top heavyweight who never fights anyone)
    Poor old Joe but using your face as a defence isn't the greatest tactic in heavyweight boxing!
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7393
    Zhangs left hand was fantastic, if he can develop some stamina he could be a threat to anyone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 355
    Zhangs left hand was fantastic, if he can develop some stamina he could be a threat to anyone
    Agreed. Joyce was his usual ponderous self and Zhang threw the more accurate punches, especially his left. I doubt that Zhang would have stopped Joyce by a 'proper' knockout - Joyce's ability to take a punch is exceptional, albeit worrying for his long-term health, and his engine is proven - but Zhang had too easy a target and closing Joyce's eye made that even simpler. It wasn't exactly a classic fight, but it did demonstrate how an equally big guy, especially a southpaw with a fast, accurate left, can undo a fairly limited Joyce. Had the damage to Joyce's eye not occurred, it could have gone the other way as Zhang tired though.

Joseph Parker is a more talented fighter than Joyce, but the Englishman just wore him down like a persistent robot. As he's done with other opponents. Tonight, he performed more like he did as an amateur somehow, much too static and predictable to compete at elite level.

I like Joyce, he's a nice bloke, but he's too easy to hit and tonight proved that he is human after all. I hope that he remains healthy and can work on slipping punches. That'll be key to his future. He has the power and the stamina, but he lacks fundamentals that would protect him.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4800

Joyce looked too rigid.  Zhang seemed to slip his shots with very slight movements whereas Joyce looked really static.  Almost like AJ in the last few fights, no deftness or craft.  Sort of keep it tight and see what happens. 
    Difficult to fight a southpaw, perhaps that threw him. 

Perhaps Zhang would have tired but Joyce would have to have knocked him out, based on points scored by round 6.

Canelo seems to get power in every shot he throws , short, long, straight or hook. Must be horrible for Ryder . I can’t see him making a dent at this rate (round 9), I just hope he doesn’t get badly hurt 
    Bloody hell he’s got some balls
    Great effort, busted nose from the 2nd round, knocked down in the 5th and still giving Canelo something to think about until the final bell.

Ryder deserved his shot and hopefully gets a very decent payday. 
    Ryder has always seemed really hard to beat rather than a massive prospect in his own right. He did well to go to Mexico and tough it out with their best fighter. 

I think he loses to Bivol again, he doesn’t have the engine up at that weight and Bivol was all over him last time. 
    If I was in a trench in ww1 and had to go over the top and could choose a wingman, I’d choose Sam Eggington.  
    I managed to fall asleep during the ring walks for Billam-Smith v Okolie!!!
    Need to catch up later sounded a good fight
    Lots to catch up on! 3 big cards this weekend - whilst I was away. 

Really please for CBS and Wood. Looks like Conlan took another heavy KO though - not so good. 
    I watched the CBS fight and he was a clear winner and had Okolie in all sorts of trouble.  One of the knockdowns was marginal but two were clear cut, the first knockdown was a great shot.  I think he just knew Okolie inside out.  Haven't seen the Wood fight yet.

Couple of great fights coming up, Smith vs Beterbiev although I don't give smith a lot of chance to be fair.

Then Spence vs Crawford, I guess Spence has been waiting for Crawford to age a bit, judging by how they both fought vs Kell Brook I expect Crawford to stop Spence.

Had a work from home treat, eating my lunch while watching Inoue vs Fulton, Inoue is rightly called the monster, moving up a weight and taking out the undefeated man in the division by ko is some achievement.

If Inoue can carry that up to lightweight, in with Haney, Stevenson, Lomachenko and Kambosas etc that will be aan incredibly strong division.
    munckee said:
    Had a work from home treat, eating my lunch while watching Inoue vs Fulton, Inoue is rightly called the monster, moving up a weight and taking out the undefeated man in the division by ko is some achievement.

If Inoue can carry that up to lightweight, in with Haney, Stevenson, Lomachenko and Kambosas etc that will be aan incredibly strong division.
    Kambosas got lucky against Maxi Hughes at the weekend by all accounts. I haven’t seen the full fight yet but can’t find any commentary that suggests anything other than a robbery. 
    Iamnobody said:
    munckee said:

Kambosas got lucky against Maxi Hughes at the weekend by all accounts. I haven’t seen the full fight yet but can’t find any commentary that suggests anything other than a robbery. 
    I watched it, not really a robbery but Hughes unlucky not to get the win, it was fairly close.  Lomachenko against Haney was a worse decision, still not a robbery but Loma did enough I thought 
    edited July 2023
    munckee said:
    Iamnobody said:
    munckee said:

I watched it, not really a robbery but Hughes unlucky not to get the win, it was fairly close.  Lomachenko against Haney was a worse decision, still not a robbery but Loma did enough I thought 
    I think most of the disgust was at the unreasonably wide 117-111 card - perhaps if he’d have narrowly missed by a round or two, the robbery comments wouldn’t be doing the media rounds. 

I like Maxi - he’s got great movement and seems a decent down to earth fellow. 
    It’s the big one at the weekend, I still think Crawford will win. 

Predictions?

im going Crawford by 10th round stoppage.