Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    I can’t see a rematch, either Eubank had to struggle to make weight and weakened himself or smith just again proved Eubank not a top level fighter, either way not a lot of point in a rematch.  Might as well claim you were drained and move up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Eubank did seem to lack energy at times. I wonder how he would have faired if the fight had gone the distance. Smith tends to come good in the latter half of fights. A moot point I guess, given the early stoppage. It'll be interesting to see if Eubank's ego leads him to use the rematch clause.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7393
    edited January 2023
    If I was advising Eubank I’d go for the rematch . He’s been shown now as nothing but a good domestic level fighter - he won’t get big American fights or pay days  in future as he’s not that level.

Better off fighting Smith again and if he performs well start a war of words with Benn again , get the hype going for that fight for a another payday
  • munckee said:
    Well fuck a duck I did not see that happening. 
    10 points for being the only other person I know who says 'fuck a duck'.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6280
    I think Eubank will take the rematch. It will be a good earner, and as I think most of us know, he isn't world class. 

• Paul vs Fury, anybody watch it?

Not a bad fight to be fair.  Paul held held his own, not the best fight but pretty even. 

Not a bad fight to be fair.  Paul held held his own, not the best fight but pretty even. 
    Tommy was the only one trying to box tbf - JP just seems to be a fit aggressive bloke who comes forward and wears you down . I wanted Tommy to win big but he just doesn’t have that killer instinct - I thought he’d lost when the ref called the slip a knockdown in the last round so glad he got the win even though it wasn’t convincing 

Tommy was the only one trying to box tbf - JP just seems to be a fit aggressive bloke who comes forward and wears you down . I wanted Tommy to win big but he just doesn’t have that killer instinct - I thought he’d lost when the ref called the slip a knockdown in the last round so glad he got the win even though it wasn’t convincing 
    Yeah TF looked more the boxer, moved better and had better combinations.  But the bar wasn’t that high in the grand scheme of things.  Glad Fury won for the sake of boxing but in reality neither of them would have much if a chance against a top cruiser weight. 
    I can’t really see Tommy Fury getting far in boxing but to be fair I said that about his brother early in his career!
  • To be fair to Tommy Fury, there was a huge amount of pressure on this one, first proper boxer to face Paul and the Fury name. Pretty sure Paul only wanted to fight him due to his name.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    It was a fight of mediocre quality, and glaring mistakes, but it was entertaining to say the least and I'm glad Fury won because Jake Paul is awful.

It was like a good league 2 match between two teams fighting for promotion. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• It was like a good league 2 match between two teams fighting for promotion. 
    As a West Ham fan it must be reassuring to know you find that prospect entertaining :-)
    Was the Badou Jack fight any good?
  • munckee said:
    Was the Badou Jack fight any good?
    He boxed really well , loads of side to side movement, hitting and moving  and showed the champion up a bit tbh.  He’s not a huge puncher but connected with loads of straight rights and body shots that had a cumulative effect.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434

It was like a good league 2 match between two teams fighting for promotion. 
    As a West Ham fan it must be reassuring to know you find that prospect entertaining :-)
    Bit of a low blow there mate, bloody hell lol.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fury did the job, although I thought he'll outbox him significantly. Paul looked flat indeed and didn't present cardio as good as vs Silva. Different kind of fight though...
    Not a great fight to watch and lots of clinching. 
    Fury by split decision and immediate rematch was my prediction so I wasn't surprised by how it went.
  • As others have said, a pretty poor fight. The ref wasn't great either. Fury clearly showed the better boxing skills and deserved to win, but he was far too easily caught and his guard was lacking. He didn't seem to have the ability to change what he was doing wrong and adapt to Paul's very basic style either. I'm glad Paul lost - he's a monumental a55hole - but the fight did little to commend boxing to the casual viewer. Paul has called out Canelo at times, which is laughable. Mind you, I would love to be ringside if that 'fight' ever happened. Just to see the shock on Paul's face as realisation kicked in just before his lights went out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6977
    I didn’t watch it - certainly wouldn’t pay for it. 

I note Mayweather also had a move around with an MMA bloke this weekend in a largely empty arena. 

I hope the celebrity/exhibition stuff gradually fades away.

I know Paul has been training well and obviously Fury is a pro albeit a green one but these things aren’t the best adverts for the sport.

Much better fights in Feb that don’t get talked about - Yarde had a great effort against Beterbiev but came up short and more recently Lee Wood put in some great work against Mauricio Lara before his corner threw in the towel; a decision that was debatable but ultimately Ben Davison made the right call in my mind. 

All that said, I’ve cancelled my DAZN subscription and only have Sky sports mobile so not sure how much boxing I’ll get to see from now on. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • >Much better fights in Feb...

Absolutely. I thought Yarde did really well, much better than many others. Until the inevitable happened. At times, he clearly rocked Beterbiev. Agree about the Wood-Lara bout. Benavidez vs Plant next month has the potential to be interesting. Very different styles, but both excellent in their own way.