Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    Tone71 said:
    Well that was impressive, to say the least!!!

Neither Joyce or Parker need many more fights like that.  They must both have some concussion today. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you heard about Joyce’s bone density? ‘Allegedly’ 5 times greater than the average human? Not sure if it’s his general demeanour but if you watch his interviews you could start picking out potential signs of trauma already. Alternatively he might just be a bit camera shy…
    Previously known as stevebrum
    The closer the Benn Eubank fight is getting the more I’m concerned Benn hasn’t fought anyone apart from Algieri in 20 fights. My worry is they think he’s chinny which might explain him fighting Eubank now rather than trying to get a title, this will probably be better paid than a loss to one of the middleweights. 

Eubank has demonstrated he’s not really world class and I think Eddie doesn’t believe Benn is either.  
    So fights off after Benn fails a drug test, second test to come so who knows but seems iffy. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6977
    munckee said:
    So fights off after Benn fails a drug test, second test to come so who knows but seems iffy. 
    Yeah it’s a fucking shit show isn’t it, then the whole Tyson AJ bollocks. I’m going to watch some amateur fights tomorrow night as the perfect antidote to all this shambles. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4004
    That Benn Eubank fight stunk from the start. Stupid catch-weight, Eubank Jr eating KFC and steaks weeks before the fight, Eubank Sr trying to call it off etc. And now it's off. Stinks.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1030
    I can’t see this fight ever happening now.

It makes you wonder how long Benn has been using PEDS & how many wins would have been losses if he was fighting clean? It’s a real shame, I heard one of the fighters on the undercard had a 12 week camp, all for nothing now. 
    Some big fights this weekend, watched Haney  Kambosas rematch and it was a decent fight but Haney never in danger of losing. Would like to watch Shields Marshall seems like a good fight. 

As for Wilder how did he not manage to KO Fury in three fights, unnaturally big puncher, wasn’t even a great punch that destroyed Helenius. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 636
    Shields/Marshall was an absolute cracker, real edge of the seat stuff
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4004
    edited October 2022
    munckee said:
    Some big fights this weekend, watched Haney  Kambosas rematch and it was a decent fight but Haney never in danger of losing. Would like to watch Shields Marshall seems like a good fight. 

As for Wilder how did he not manage to KO Fury in three fights, unnaturally big puncher, wasn’t even a great punch that destroyed Helenius. 
    I always judge heavyweights on four criteria: size, chin, boxing skills and engine. Fury's got all four. I also really rate Joyce. Beast.
    Anyone watching tonight?  I’ve bought it, Eubank/smith riakhpore/glowacki and Parker/Massey all look competitive fights, Kongo a decent fighter too. 

I think smith might be too good a boxer for Eubank but I have a feeling size/punch of Eubank might win it for him before they get to points.  
  • I'm watching, could be a tricky night for Eubank.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah the whole card looks decent and justifies the price - which is much cheaper than a night out and that’s how I look at it.

I’m going for Smith by split decision.

Big ask for Massey - I hope he pulls it off. I like Parker though he seems a decent bloke but maybe his best days are behind him now?

Frazer Clarke up against an Argentinian who’s lost 5 of his last 6. I know they like to build them slowly but with an amateur pedigree like his I’d hope for better matchmaking. 
    @Iamnobody i always think you can tell how good or otherwise they think a boxer is when they keep fighting low quality opposition, Campbell hatton is another one who seems to be not progressing in quality. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1030
    I’m gonna be tuning into BBC Radio 5 Live (starts at 10pm) https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001hqfy

I think Eubank will win, a points decision.
    Parker/Massey and particularly Kongo/Essuman good fights. Thought draw would have been fairer for Kongo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well fuck a duck I did not see that happening. 
    munckee said:
    Well fuck a duck I did not see that happening. 
    100/1 if you did!

Great finish. 
    I'm watching, could be a tricky night for Eubank.
    You weren’t kidding!!
  • In my usual (friendly) bet with my son, I had Liam Smith winning on points. Certainly didn't see such a convincing win. My son had Eubank Jr winning by KO. Smug moment for me. Kind of. I've never rated Eubank Jr's footwork or balance. Groves and Saunders showed how he can be comprehensively out-boxed for large parts of fights, although his tank and chin are not in question. In this fight, he seemed to be trying to emulate Roy Jones's almost laid back movement, but there's a gulf in punching accuracy between Eubank and the American great. Sure, he landed some decent uppercuts in round three, but I didn't see anything to back up David Haye's assertion that Jr is an exceptional talent. Never have.

Liam Smith's footwork is deceptively good. He looks flat footed, but he kinda slides in and out. Neither fighter has world class upper body movement in my opinion. They can both be caught. Both have proven chins, so it was a surprise to see Jr fold like that. He was well beaten.

The build up to the fight was not something either fighter should be proud of. They both said things that can't be condoned and I hope they reflect on the things they said, it was unnecessary. That said, I'm glad Smith won. If the rematch clause is triggered, it should make for an interesting showdown.