Boxing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Usyk growing into this now. Think he’ll start pushing harder here 

AJ needed to have him out early on I’d say and he hasn’t done that. He’ll be gassing out before long. Massive advantage for Usyk now unless AJ can land some serious blows 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7393
    Much better fight by AJ but lost to a better fighter , at least AJ went for it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16153
    Don't listen tae a word about Fury and retirement..........the lure of all those belts/titles is too much and playin' hard tae get ups the prices
    tae be or not tae be
  • One judge gave that to AJ. Jeez!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    One judge gave that to AJ. Jeez!
    Yes the English one. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6977
    AJ’s lost it! 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • That was better from AJ tonight.

Many calling for him to fight Wilder now and say he’d beat him if he boxes like he did tonight. Imho Wilder smashes him to pieces 
  • One judge gave that to AJ. Jeez!
    Yes the English one. 
    Should have his license revoked. English or not there’s no place for judging that bad. Boxing still riddled with it 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7518
    Iamnobody said:
    AJ’s lost it! 
     :# me the entire time. He's such a tosser.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    Yes the English one. 
    Should have his license revoked. English or not there’s no place for judging that bad. Boxing still riddled with it 
    It’s an ongoing problem with judges from all over the world.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12687
    Joshua could fight him ten times and wouldn’t win. Not very classy at the end. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6977
    munckee said:
    Yes the English one. 
    It’s an ongoing problem with judges from all over the world.  

It was a USA judge who gave the fight to Joshua. Steve Gray (English judge) scored the fight 115-113 Usyk which is there or there abouts.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • munckee said:
    Joshua could fight him ten times and wouldn’t win. Not very classy at the end. 
    Embarrassing turn of events. 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1346
    what did i witness at the end ! where were his corner men ? Hearn? 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2079
    When Anthony Joshua started holding the mic above his head like Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, I was just thinking Robert Downey Jr.'s 'Tropic Thunder' line.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4706
    Someone best check on AJ 
    seems his brain my brain damaged after being punched in the face for 36 mins 

that was horrendously cringy
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4800

I turned it off when AJ got on the mic at the end, it was terrible.

A pity, because he’d given a much better account of himself.  Super disciplined, great body shots, no gassing out.  Ultimately Usyk’s head movement and counter punching was too good for AJ, but after restoring some pride he pissed it away on the mic.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    edited August 2022
    I think he regained some of it in the post fight interview.

You can imagine the adrenaline, the disappointment, the impact of a fight with a lot of head trauma can lead to poor decisions like this. He didn't seem to know what he was trying to say. He initially threw the belts out the ring, told Usyk 'You think YOU beat ME???' and then spent a few minutes praising him, but himself but not, but everyone else? Definitely signs of being concussed. 

He fought well, he can be proud of himself. But he'll never be a world champion again while Usyk and Fury are still fighting. In a way, considering the age of all of them, this golden age is coming to an end and Wilder was the first one to go and AJ is the second one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 636
    edited August 2022
    Just listened to 5live boxing, Steve Bunce at ringside had it in AJ's favour by a round!

Feel a bit for Joshua, the frustration, knowing that you cannot beat someone has got to hurt like anything especially for a professional athlete. Interesting to see how the HW scene develops now.

Only a matter of time before Fury demands attention.........oh wait he's already piped up!

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7518
    edited August 2022
    His corner were telling him that he was winning, and it's not like he was getting knocked down continually or anything so I can understand why after 36 minutes of being punched in the head he might have been under the false impression he was going to win.

I thought there was a clear 2 sections to the post fight stuff. At first he was kicking off, but then I thought he realised it wasn't going down well so switched to trying to take the Ukrainian flag and praise Usyk. I'm not going to watch again to verify though because it was too cringe.