Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Our Telecaster Love Affairs.

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    I never 'got' tele's until I picked up a beaten up random mongrel on a whim because I liked the colour & patina.
    It has a one piece single bound mahogany body finished in nitro, a Maya japanese neck, brass bridge & saddles & during the resurrection, I had it fitted with Bare Knuckle 'Yardbirds'. 
    In other words, this is almost everything that is NOT a classic tele.
    This guitar is simultaneously both priceless & virtually worthless, depending on your viewpoint & yet I'd take it over any Fender tele I have played.
    My late muso mate was more choosy. He had had several CS tele's, Baja's & others, yet put this mongrel above them all.
    The phrase, more than the sum of it's parts seems to apply  ;)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12367
    I’ve had a g&l asat tribute, a 50s roadworn, built one based on a highway one body, had an 88 US standard and now have the 76 tele in my avatar, they’ve all played great and sounded great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    edited October 2021
    Got this bad boy at home, though it’s currently out of action as I’m waiting for a new relic’d neck from @GoldenEraGuitars ;;

I’m currently contemplating an American Pro ii Tele Deluxe, but it’s a bit pricey so may be a while yet
    0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve had a number over the years. The one that has stuck around longest and is going nowhere is a 2007 52ri. I’ve had a Brad Paisley Esquire for 6 months, which is currently getting most use. So much so my previous no2, a Japanese Paisley is soon to be released.
  • I've fallen out of love with my Tele, haven't quite got it sounding where I want it to be. Despite 2 pickup swaps (and just undergone a third) there's just something not right about it. Everyone else's Tele always sounds like a Tele - spanky, jangly and twangy. I'm hoping this 3rd swap coupled with a few hardware/electronic modifications it'll get me to pick it up and play a bit more as I haven't played it much in the past couple of years. I love my Strat since doing it up - its my main go to and I feel the Tele needs to step up a bit to get some playing time.

Or maybe I just need to get better at playing.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49683637881_3e50b02651_k.jpg

This thread inspired me to play mine for the last 90 mins!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    edited October 2021
    stonevibe said:
    Most of my guitars are Telecasters or variations on the theme. I like gigging with a Tele, as they just work, and cut through a band mix nicely whilst leaving plenty of space for everyone else in the band.
    Exactly this. They don't have to get stupid loud to be heard. 

I'll always love strats, but 9 times out of 10, it's the Tele I grab. Keith, Chuck Prophet, James Brown, Meters, jazz, Fela, blues...all there
    Got this bad boy at home, though it’s currently out of action as I’m waiting for a new relic’d neck from @GoldenEraGuitars ;;

I’m currently contemplating an American Pro ii Tele Deluxe, but it’s a bit pricey so may be a while yet
    There is no suckage in this post. 

That colour is glorious.
  • This thread is giving me major gas!
    Beautiful teles everyone. 
    I had a baja tele and a classic vibe. Both were excellent and I'm puzzled as to why I sold them
  • rsvmark said:

Love that. Why does it still have the sticker on it though?
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    It may come as a huge surprise considering my username, but I fucking hate teles. 

Just kidding - I love them. To echo what others have said, they're just simple, brilliant designs. I also think they've got the best headstock. 

I've always favoured the neck pickup - with the right pickup it's a beautiful thing - either clean or with some gain - especially bluesy riffs and playing scales at the dusty end. 

A good bridge pickup is great though - especially with an ashtray bridge and brass saddles. But don't write off the middle position. I use it a lot more these days and it's great for more ambient stuff as well as raucous riffs. 

After a Squier Strat and a Fernandes Vertigo (cheap one), a MIM Tele - black with white pickguard and the best maple neck I've ever played - was my main guitar for over 15 years until I stupidly ruined it by making changes to it. I recently bought a Player Series one which is lovely, and an Affinity which has overwound Irongears in - but my current favourite is the Classic Vibe 50s Tele - utterly stunning maple neck and incredible vintage voiced pickups which are hotter than the player ones. 

I'm also getting one of the Squier Paranormal Cabronita Teles for my 40th next year. 

I've also owned a Godin Artisan TC and a Vintage V72 but my preference is the Fender / Squier stuff. 

They're just amazing guitars. While the strat is probably the most popular, versatile design, the Tele just shows how right Leo got it first time. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Greatape said:

That colour is glorious.
    +1, I don't usually like sunburst but that has just totally changed my mind, looks incredible.
  • TTBZ said:
    Greatape said:

That colour is glorious.
    +1, I don't usually like sunburst but that has just totally changed my mind, looks incredible.
    Scott did some incredible work on this one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Here's my 50s Baja, somewhat modded:

- BKP Flat 50 (I think) in the bridge
    - Mojo Gold Foil in the neck
    - Poly finish stripped
    - S1 switch removed, and all wiring replaced
    - Control plate reversed

I just love it. So versatile, and just feels right!
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    rsvmark said:

Only because this was the fresh out of the box photo- since then I had added brass compensated saddles, a 4 way selector and removed the stickers! 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • rsvmark said:
    rsvmark said:

Only because this was the fresh out of the box photo- since then I had added brass compensated saddles, a 4 way selector and removed the stickers! 
    Thank god. Even a little CE sticker left on the plate is enough to set my neuroses off! 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888

Here's my 50s Baja, somewhat modded:

- Poly finish stripped
    - Control plate reversed

I’d be interested to hear that gold foil. Have you got any audio?
    edited October 2021

Here's my 50s Baja, somewhat modded:

- Poly finish stripped
    - Control plate reversed

Nice. How does the neck pickup sound? And did stripping the finish improve the sound?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I love Tele guitars, particularly the shape and the headstock. I prefer the sounds I get out of a strat. They are my two fave guitars.