Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Our Telecaster Love Affairs.

What's Hot

Comments

• I have no experience of Teles so far, but this thread is making me really want one.

You sods.

@impmann - Greenie looks amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    I don't think it's that difficult to find a great Telecaster. Maybe your standards are very high and you have strong likes and dislikes when it comes to these guitars. No harm. I've played a lot of really outstanding Teles and have owned a few. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    I have no experience of Teles so far, but this thread is making me really want one.

You sods.

One thing I found with a three-saddle Tele is that after a lifetime of strats, it took a while to adjust to the sound.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    One ive posted before too… but here’s the neck pickup on my CS on a first day doodle. 

Ye gods that's perfect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whitecat said:
    One ive posted before too… but here’s the neck pickup on my CS on a first day doodle. 

Ye gods that's perfect.
    It’s very lovely 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    When I was first playing guitar I though Strats were divine and Teles hideous, but II've been in love with Teles since the mid 80s. Here are my current lot in order of acquisition:

(1) 1985 MIJ Squier 'Standard' Tele, blond

Bought nearly-new on my birthday in 1987, it's seen some minor mods, a fret dress (thanks @IvisonGuitars) and a lot of gigs.

(2) Palir Titan, Shoreline Gold

I went to World Guitars to try out LP Juniors but I couldn't put this one down. The both-pickups setting alone is worth the considerable price tag.

(3) MIM FSR Tele Deluxe with Creamery WRHBs, CAR

I indulged a whim to upgrade one of these (including the pots, changed to 500k) and it really paid off. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keefy said:
    When I was first playing guitar I though Strats were divine and Teles hideous, but II've been in love with Teles since the mid 80s. Here are my current lot in order of acquisition:

Bought nearly-new on my birthday in 1987, it's seen some minor mods, a fret dress (thanks @IvisonGuitars) and a lot of gigs.

I went to World Guitars to try out LP Juniors but I couldn't put this one down. The both-pickups setting alone is worth the considerable price tag.

I indulged a whim to upgrade one of these (including the pots, changed to 500k) and it really paid off. 

Love that Deluxe @Keefy ;
  • Andy79 said:

Here's my 50s Baja, somewhat modded:

- BKP Flat 50 (I think) in the bridge
    - Mojo Gold Foil in the neck
    - Poly finish stripped
    - S1 switch removed, and all wiring replaced
    - Control plate reversed

I just love it. So versatile, and just feels right!
    I’d be interested to hear that gold foil. Have you got any audio?
    Greatape said:

Here's my 50s Baja, somewhat modded:

- BKP Flat 50 (I think) in the bridge
    - Mojo Gold Foil in the neck
    - Poly finish stripped
    - S1 switch removed, and all wiring replaced
    - Control plate reversed

I just love it. So versatile, and just feels right!
    Nice. How does the neck pickup sound? And did stripping the finish improve the sound?
    I haven't got any recordings, but I'll have a go at making something.

As for stripping the finish, that was done (by @juansolo) before I bought the guitar.  He said it removed a whole load of weight, but didn't mention whether or not it affected the sound.  I think @Alnico also stripped and refinished a Baja at some point.

Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    edited October 2021
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Greatape said:
    I have no experience of Teles so far, but this thread is making me really want one.

You sods.

One thing I found with a three-saddle Tele is that after a lifetime of strats, it took a while to adjust to the sound.

Half the time when I've looked closely the saddles (and strings) are all squint.
    Do people find they move while playing? 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5268
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5268
    My Nacho, absolutely love it, thought about selling it a few times but fortunately didnt, 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Greatape said:

You sods.

Half the time when I've looked closely the saddles (and strings) are all squint.
    Nope. Mine are all bob-on. 

Bear in mind, some folks fit staggered saddles to assist with intonation and some of these appear to be at jaunty angles.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Gassage said:

There's our very own @jamesoliver1234 doing my Dreamcaster some justice. It didn't want to come home after a day in his hands after my hamfisted attempts.....
    i'm giving up and going home. @jamesoliver1234, chuffing heck mate, you are good. Top man. 

fks sake, that's blown me away. 

@gassage - that guitar is a beauty mate.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited October 2021
    impmann said:
    Greatape said:

You sods.

Nope. Mine are all bob-on. 

Bear in mind, some folks fit staggered saddles to assist with intonation and some of these appear to be at jaunty angles.

It's like the, very lovely looking, dark burst at the start of the thread (first one I can see straight on). The gap between the a and d strings looks larger than the rest to my eyes. They all look slightly different IMO.
    Happens with strats too to a smaller degree. Often I've squeezed the saddles together on a strat and there's been movement. Usually the high e string has moved away from the rest.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30924
    mgaw said:

Oh my.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    It has it's own thing happenin' too with the selector in mid position
    tae be or not tae be
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Keefy said:

Love that Deluxe @Keefy ;
    Why thank you! I'll be gigging it again this Saturday, alongside my MIM Jazzmaster.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    edited October 2021
    I must admit I am in the same boat.

I thought/think, sometimes still do, think that Telecaster are a stupid design.  It's uncomfortable with the hard right angle edges, it's not aesthetically pleasing but I bought one anyway just to see if I like it.

I end up keeping it, still have it.  It actually sounds great, weights perfect in the middle of the 7lb range, really nice low action, nitro finish, RW board and all the aged hardware and Porter Pickups, a boutique build from a boutique builder from the States.  Every now and again I thought about trading it in for a Fender but I am thinking...what's the point, it can't be better than this, not for the money anyway, especially these days as this is an Ash body underneath.  Despite not liking the silly OTT relic job on the corners.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962

tae be or not tae be