12345679»

Comments

• That's looking splendid, @WezV ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JGTayJGTay Frets: 210
    Very nice, love the colour.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Did you pin the bridge, or is it fully floating?  I'd probably prefer it pinned, as I am sure to knock it when I'm playing.  It is really looking nice and I'm really curious how the pickups sound and balance.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    PhilKing said:
    Did you pin the bridge, or is it fully floating?  I'd probably prefer it pinned, as I am sure to knock it when I'm playing.  It is really looking nice and I'm really curious how the pickups sound and balance.
    It's not pinned yet, but it can be. 
    Ive been considering what to do with the tailpiece

Issues.
    1.  The bracket is at a right angle to the centreline, the body is not.
    2. No string grounding as its solid ebony
    3.  String holes were too small for ball ends, so needed to be strung from underneath

Solution
    1.   This was shimmed in the pic above.  Since then I have removed the bracket and redrilled it to match the angle at the end of the body and filled on the old pin holes with saw dust and superglue

2.  I was considering a brass plate inlaid underneath, but would still expect the high strings to cut into and eventually split the ebony on front. 

I decided instead to add a fretslot just in front of the string holes. I drilled a tiny hole through the fretslot to allow a wire to be fed through, and routed a channel in the back to take the wire to the bracket.   I added a stainless steel fret to the slot.  Now I can ground the fretwire via the bracket and don't need to worry about the high strings cutting into the tailpiece.  It also ties in aesthetically with the bridge and pickups.

3.  These just got drilled a little larger.  But it will sace a lot of fiddling on string changes.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    Brilliant idea!
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Wow, that sounds like a lot of work Wez.  I can't wait to try this guitar.  It is looking awesome.
  • I’ve been watching this and loving every update.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2022
    PhilKing said:
    Wow, that sounds like a lot of work Wez.  I can't wait to try this guitar.  It is looking awesome.
    I was on the fence whether to just make a new one or not, but modding it turned out to be relatively simple and I have kept it nice and lightweight... although it did occur to me a big lump of brass may help offset the tuners at the other end.

Think I'm going to stick with the Hofner style bridge, but might replace the saddles with SS fretwire . I might see if I can get it swappable with a TOM though, just to be sure which sounds better

I will add some pickup shims (just reminded myself to order some oil city shims, i have allparts ones here which i have had for 15 years and never used as they are ridiculously oversized).  Partly for better height, partly to help isolate the pickups from the body vibration

Then its knobs and truss rod cover... where I am hoping I can incorporate the last bits of snakewood

Super quick delivery from @OilCityPickups ; - thanks Ash!

the standard aftermarket dog ear shim on the left, the oil city ones on the right.

generic

Oil City

I have used the generic ones before by gently scoring around the pickup and trimming to shape,  that is why I still have one in the parts drawer... but it's nice to have an option that just fits as it should!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2023
    rather close to the finish line now.

Jobs to do are make a truss rod cover and also maybe swap out the magnets on the back plate for something a bit beefier, it holds, but not as securely as I would like

I was having some issues with the Hofner style bridge as the fret wire saddles just don't sit high enough on such a wide bridge.  This meant a heavy strum would displace the strings.  Slotting them obviously made it sit even lower and was rubbing more on the back edge.  I've swapped out for a tune-o-matic for now. 

I also pinned the bridge base in place.  This is done with 2 small screws hidden under the thumbwheels.  Those 2 changes have helped make everything feel a lot more stable

It weighs in ay 5lb 9oz

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I was a bit worried about neck dive on this  as it definitely has some neck heaviness

excuse the crappy pic, but this shows the guitar balanced on two fingers, putting the center of gravity just behind the strap button. 

And hanging on a strap

I think that is going to be okay.  If not, lighter tuners or a heavier tailpiece would help it hang in a tilted playing position
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2401
    That is gorgeous, great thread, great build! 
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1331
    Stunning!!
    That looks great to me Wez.  How do the tuners feel.  I've never used the Ratio ones before.  Now you've got it wired up, how do the pickups sound?  
    The tuners feel great, very positive in use.

The pickups suit the character of the guitar nicely and work well with each other.  I'm never great at describing sound

I do need to double check the wiring as the neck was cutting out a bit, I think I have displaced a wire when squeezing it all in, I probably should have gone for a right angle toggle instead of a short one to  make it easier to fit.  

I've also got a bit of sympathetic vibration that I think is coming from the switch, pickups or backplate... just minor troubleshooting, but it will probably still come apart a few more times yet

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Another beautiful build Wez - really great to follow along and see how you developed this. 
    edited July 2023
    Now all settled in and much closer to done.

I had a slight issue with the neck pickup cutting out.  Turned out I had bent a switch tab squeezing the short toggle in the body.  I probably should have gone for a right angle toggle instead

Looks good with the other 2 archtops

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It really is looking great @WezV ;