How many people buy new?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• JMS96 said:
    I pretty much only ever buy used. Only 1 of my current guitars was bought new (by my wife as a present). I generally find that there’s a good market for used guitars, and I like the idea of a guitar being passed around. It started with guitars, but I now have that approach to other things in life - I’ve become quite a fan of charity shops!
    Phew! I thought you were going to say your liberal attitude had extended to your wife for a moment.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    @thegummy ;

I've always found wanted ads to be quite effective in rustling up what I'm looking for. It can take a little while but it's definitely worth a pop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First guitar in 1999 was new (epiphone LP) quickly sold it and after that, everything has been bought used.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 462
    Had 3 made (well one currently being made by Ruokangas) , store bought around 8 new and bought used around 6.  Have only sold 2 (both new ones).  Definitely take more of a hit on the new - even more so on the luthier built, but I guess that's part of the process.  
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    edited October 2021
    I’ve never bought 2nd hand, but I would if something came up that I wanted.

I'm left handed so need to be pretty lucky as there just isn't as much choice.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    Rocky1991 said:
    I had a random discussion this weekend and realised over my guitar buying life, which is probably lean compared to some on the forum. I have never bought a new guitar, not even my first a Squier affinity or whatever the 2005 equivalent was, was new.   

So wondered how much of peoples stables were bought new compared to used?

I can´t buy new unless it´s a seriously irresistable blow out sale.
    Me too, it's like something in my brain says no. 

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    I've bought 3 new, 3 second hand and received one in a trade. The three new are not going anywhere. The three used guitars I now have, I would sell, and the aim being to replace with two better ones, but I can't whittle down the gas list to two in-budget guitars. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • I only have one used purchase at the moment, a Rosa Red first version Gretsch 5622T (I already had the Georgia Green that I bought new, but I wanted to a second to try electronics changes).
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    I still have 1 of the 4 new guitars I ever bought, but 6 of the 7 second hand ones.
  • Bought 3 new guitars moved them all on, lost loads. Never say never but I'll never buy new again. 
  • v12catv12cat Frets: 25
    Bought 3 new guitars moved them all on, lost loads. Never say never but I'll never buy new again. 
    When I bought my Player tele, second hand ones were virtually the same price I paid for my new one. I guess more expensive or maybe custom made could loose a lot more.
  • I don't own a single guitar bought new.  I doubt I'll ever buy new again.  Last few I recall are custom/luthier builds (all gone, at great cost) and a very pricy PRS, which I snagged a great trade on to recoup my outlay.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    edited October 2021
    My three acoustics were bought new, all the electrics were bought used apart from a Telecaster. The others were all bar one in almost-new condition when I got them. I had a few years in the 2000s when I bought nice MIM Fenders and Epiphones for bargain prices, or at least very reasonable for guitars that had barely been played.

I  suspect the next one I buy may well be new, as most places I look now (here being an exception) the prices people ask are frankly insulting. The norm seems to be 90% of the current rrp whatever the condition or age. In the last week I’ve seen both a Squier Jaguar and Epiphone Les Paul for £600, and a Rickenbacker 330 of almost identical age (20+ years) and condition to mine at exactly TWICE what I paid about five years ago (from a seller on here btw).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I pretty much never buy new, I’ve probably made more than 100 instrument acquisitions and fewer than 10 of those were brand new… depreciation means I can afford instruments I couldn’t have afforded new, and also means I don’t make a loss if I decide it’s not for me. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Of my six electrics.Three are bought from new and three bought used. To be honest it’s usually about the vibe of the individual instrument.

However I think my next Electric guitar purchase will likely be an American Special Strat. So that will be used. 

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I initially thought mostly used until I counted. Turns out something like 75% have been new and if I factor in partscasters it's even higher.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5430
    I don't care either way. I just buy what I like. In chronological order, my current lot went used, then new, new, new, used, used, used. The two most expensive ones were both new, the two least expensive ones were both used.