Hat for walking the dog

What's Hot
I'd like to get a hat for walking the dog when it looks rainy
Anorak Hoods give me neck ache, and get my specs wet
My old Tilley hat isn't really well-suited

I've seen the Aussie-style leather ones, not so sure they are comfy or what image they convey
Any other ideas?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    Why not use a lead like everybody else?
    30reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    leather hats are rubbish in the wet and cold, they go clammy and kinda slimy. Mrs F always used to wear a waxed cotton hat, but she had lots of hair so it worked for her, but I find them cold. I have a brimmed wool felt hat that is good for keeping the rain off.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4094
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12315
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    does it carry a Crocodile Dundee vibe though?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    no use in the wind
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3671
    edited October 2021
    I have a couple of fleece lined goretex caps with a peak and ear flaps.. good winter cap.   

Similar to this: https://www.sealskinz.com/products/waterproof-extreme-cold-weather-hat
    or
    https://www.musto.com/en_GB/fleece-lined-waterproof-cap/80016.html

Got any outdoor walking / climbing shops near?  Try a few.  If its really heavy I pull up a hood and have a wool or fleece beanie.. rain will just go down your back otherwise

my wife has a fabric Tilley/cowboy style hat with a wide brim.  

My expensive waterproof jacket is also designed to fit an alpine climbing helmet. It has a wired peak to keep glasses dry and does not put pressure on head.  Mountaineering jackets generally have bigger hoods.. best for a complete downpour.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    If it has big ears you’ll need one with a hole in each side; also have you considered getting it a matching coat too?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Who cares?

I wear my Tilley for walking out, and I've got a Proviz reflective beanie for running and stuff. IN a perfect world the beanie would have a bit of a peak to help keep the water out of my eyes.
    I have a couple of fleece lined goretex caps with a peak and ear flaps.. good winter cap.   

Similar to this: https://www.sealskinz.com/products/waterproof-extreme-cold-weather-hat
    or

Got any outdoor walking / climbing shops near?  Try a few.  If its really heavy I pull up a hood and have a wool or fleece beanie.. rain will just go down your back otherwise

My expensive waterproof jacket is also designed to fit an alpine climbing helmet. It has a wired peak to keep glasses dry and does not put pressure on head.  Mountaineering jackets generally have bigger hoods.. best for a complete downpour.
    do those peaks really keep glasses dry?

they look interesting, I'll try them out. For cold weather below 4C I've used a fleece hat or a russian style hat with a North Face McMurdo jacket, pulling over the hood when it rains (and putting up with the neck issue)
    , but what about when it's 10C and overcast, those would be too hot 

Wow those McMurdo jackets have gone up. Got mine in their Covent garden shop 10 years ago for £220, they are asking £420 now
  • I have a couple of fleece lined goretex caps with a peak and ear flaps.. good winter cap.   

or

do those peaks really keep glasses dry?

they look interesting, I'll try them out. For cold weather below 4C I've used a fleece hat or a russian style hat with a North Face McMurdo jacket, pulling over the hood when it rains (and putting up with the neck issue)
    , but what about when it's 10C and overcast, those would be too hot 

Wow those McMurdo jackets have gone up. Got mine in their Covent garden shop 10 years ago for £220, they are asking £420 now
    A baseball cap style peak to keep my glasses dry is why I use them.  You can get unlined waterproof caps. Just get it with a wired or reinforced peak.  Bigger or looser brims are just a pain in the wind.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14230
    tFB Trader
    PRS bird inlay base ball cap - worn as hell so looks like Steve Waugh's green baggie cap

I did look for one of the new style base ball caps with the cap at the back, but when I looked in the shops they all had the caps at the front - So not sure where you get them from !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    edited October 2021
    Who cares?

I wear my Tilley for walking out, and I've got a Proviz reflective beanie for running and stuff. IN a perfect world the beanie would have a bit of a peak to help keep the water out of my eyes.
    Sealskinz do a waterproof peaked beanie type 
    Red ones are better. 
    But to keep rain off our face and neck a bucket hat is probably best - waxed bucket hat and a merino beanie underneath if you're folocallu challenged and need the warmth ? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

What dog do you have?  I feel the hat and dog should be coordinated.

If you get the wrong hat and end up having to change the dog it upsets the family.  Don't ask me how I know.  All I can say is a trilby and a chihuahua is not a good look.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Have a No 1.  It saves all the hat and bad hair problems.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    But to keep rain off our face and neck a bucket hat is probably best - waxed bucket hat and a merino beanie underneath if you're folocallu challenged and need the warmth ? 
    yes, hoping to avoid water down the neck
    so far still have home-grown insulation on the head
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 540
    Wide brim waxed cotton type for me.
    TimmyO said:
    yes, hoping to avoid water down the neck
    so far still have home-grown insulation on the head
    Waxed bucket if you want to roll it up and stick.it in a coat pocket, or waxed wide brim if you'll baby it (Tilley do a waxed one) 

I'd.go bucket 
    Red ones are better.