Anyone had a set up from J White Guitars in Ash Vale?

What's Hot

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 950
    edited November 2021
    If a tech/company does a good job, it should be mentioned on the forum so that members may benefit if they want. Similarly, if they do a bad job, members need to know that, too, so that they won't fall victim. It's just members helping each other by passing on info. What's wrong with that?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    No wonder companies/professionals avoid this forum...
    personally I'd rather be on a forum on which people can give their honest impressions and experiences rather than one where everyone has to be fawning and obsequious to a handful of professionals in order to keep them happy (ever been on the Ernie Ball forums with "Big Poppa"?) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4375
    What should our obligation be in that respect, in your opinion, to create a comfortable environment for companies or professionals to participate here? When anyone asks for advice on a service provider should people who have had a negative experience keep quiet and only positive reviews get posted? The feedback on this thread seems remarkably balanced.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1962
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I just watched this and did it myself.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EduardoFalicioniEduardoFalicioni Frets: 106
    edited June 14
    Avoid this place like the plague…

Or…

If you want to deal with a difficult, egotistical man with delusions of grandeur, whom in the consultation will ignore your requests, openly rubbish others for not being as amazing as him, and do what ‘he’ wants to do for you, and in my case, then totally f up your expensive and rare guitars, doesn’t call you to let you know, and undertakes botched repairs to his awful mistakes; - do go ahead and book in there. 

Or… buy stew Mac and musicnomad tools, watch lots of you tube, demystify set up work etc, realises most of it boils down to having the right tools, proven methodologies, confidence and target measurements, and undertake it yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12513

If you want to deal with a difficult, egotistical man with delusions of grandeur, whom in the consultation will ignore your requests, openly rubbish others for not being as amazing as him, and do what ‘he’ wants to do for you, and in my case, then totally f up your expensive and rare guitars, doesn’t call you to let you know, and undertakes botched repairs to his awful mistakes; - do go ahead and book in there. 

Pretty much my experience.  I alluded to it earlier but here's the detail.

He messed up a fairly simple fix on one guitar and did the precise reverse of what I asked him to do on the other - and that was really hard to get wrong.  In the end I was so pissed off I grabbed my guitars and left, only too pleased to be off the premises.  He just did what he wanted and ignored what I requested.  And it was fucking expensive.  Total waste of my hard-earned.  It was the first time I'd actually used a 'luthier' and the whole experience put me off using one for some years to come.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9777
    Do they? 
    Only the crap ones.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 740
    Is £90 top dollar price? Considering that the set-up includes a fret dress as well as a long list of other (IMO over the top) stuff like cleaning the fretboard and pots, the price seems a bit low to me. And that might put me off.
    My local tech (Southampton Guitar Repairs) will do all that for £70. And he's no bedroom tech. He does touring work for guys like Big Big Train, Angel Witch, Voivod, etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 31
    Moloch said:
    Is £90 top dollar price? Considering that the set-up includes a fret dress as well as a long list of other (IMO over the top) stuff like cleaning the fretboard and pots, the price seems a bit low to me. And that might put me off.
    My local tech (Southampton Guitar Repairs) will do all that for £70. And he's no bedroom tech. He does touring work for guys like Big Big Train, Angel Witch, Voivod, etc. 
    £90 is more than top dollar if you don't get what you ask for.  I didn't pay £90 BTW - I paid about three times that for my two guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1577
    I tried but was told it was a six month wait. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2475
    I tried but was told it was a six month wait. 
    That feels unsustainable, surely. For anyone who really needs setup work doing - perhaps your main gigging guitar needs some attention before your next gig in a couple of weeks' time, or tour, or whatever - what use is that?

I appreciate many of us on this forum are not necessarily in that position, either through hoarding or not being professional musicians, but still.

I really miss living close to the Guitar Repair Workshop in Salford, where Steve and his team introduced a booking slot system so you know exactly when you can your guitar seen to. It's a better experience for the customer and must help structure their workflow as a team as well.
    Tim
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    edited May 31
    Offset said:
    Moloch said:
    £90 is more that top dollar if you don't get what you ask for. 
    Yes, quite. (My comment being quoted was made over two years ago near the beginning of this thread and before the negative experiences of this tech were highlighted in this thread.)
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 688
    Moloch said:
    Adam at Southampton is great, by the way! Got him to swap some pickups for me, he fitted me in very last minute, did the job while I went to the pub for a beer and a burger and he even polished the frets for me.

The fella in Ash is very close to me but I've been going to Simon at SMB Guitars near Liphook who is also a top chap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11133
    tFB Trader
    Do they? 
    Yes ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 14
    WOffset said:

Pretty much my experience.  I alluded to it earlier but here's the detail.

He messed up a fairly simple fix on one guitar and did the precise reverse of what I asked him to do on the other - and that was really hard to get wrong.  In the end I was so pissed off I grabbed my guitars and left, only too pleased to be off the premises.  He just did what he wanted and ignored what I requested.  And it was fucking expensive.  Total waste of my hard-earned.  It was the first time I'd actually used a 'luthier' and the whole experience put me off using one for some years to come.
    Would you all like to see the horrors inflicted on my guitars? Weeks have passed and I still feel sick to the stomach. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 14
    please do let me know how to attach images. Forgive my ignorance as to how to do so
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 383
    It's not you.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    please do let me know how to attach images. Forgive my ignorance as to how to do so
    Imgur seems to be the way to go for those not subscribing via Patreon.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5004
    You need to host them on Imgur ideally mate, it's pretty easy from there. Once uploaded to Imgur, press and hold the image on your phone to copy the link. Press the folded paper icon above the post edit box and enter the link pressing the space button/bar afterwards. The pic will then appear :)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom