1Q22 challenge. Build a Fuzz Pedal - I swear this bloody thing is jynxed!

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
edited February 2022 in Making & Modding
Never built a pedal before, so this will be a steep learning curve, keeping it reasonably simple it will be a Tone Bender style Fuzz on tagboard, I also hope to make my own enclosure from a billet of aluminium.
 The aluminium billet is 5 inches in diameter and 2 inches long. I have a vey old engineers lathe in the shed, which is pretty tired but should be good enough to create an enclosure…..pedal parts and a new soldering iron are in the mail…chances are there will be some sort of decoration on the enclosure if I dont cock it up, If the worst happens I have an alloy Hammond type enclosure as a fall back to doodle on…..
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28438
    paulnb57 said:
    I also hope to make my own enclosure from a billet of aluminium.

I would have precisely no idea where to start doing something like that!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Following and looking forward to seeing this progress.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    edited December 2021
    eSully said:
    Following and looking forward to seeing this progress.
    Thanks!

TTony said:
    paulnb57 said:
    I also hope to make my own enclosure from a billet of aluminium.

I would have precisely no idea where to start doing something like that!
    Billet machined parts are created by machining from a solid piece of (usually) metal.
    It is usually done on a computer controlled CNC machine and is incredibly wasteful, as most of the material you start with gets machined away to leave the desired component. Generally the finished component looks pretty fabulous, compared to say something cast or fabricated, think Drewman aluminium guitars, the whole body is machined from a big aluminium billet, you could bend sides and weld a top and bottom on, tidy up the welds and polish to achieve a similar result, but the billet jobby is fantastic, and reassuringly expensive.
    So for my enclosure, think shallow circular margarine tub, but machined from solid, turn it upside down so the base becomes the top and thats where the controls will mount, there will be a recessed lip around the open end where a base will be mounted.
    Most of my 20quid lump of ally will end up in the recycling…..or possibly all of it if I cock it up and resort to a Hammond cast alloy enclosure!

Similar to this

Parts are in the mail, but will be a while, apparently there is a new year coming!…

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2021
    Aluminium billet has just arrived along with a new soldering iron…the billet weighs a lot, but most of it will end up in the recycling…

Hope to start machining on Monday, when all the New Year stuff is over with, the lathe is pretty tired and I reckon Ill be doing well if I can take half a mm off at a time, so it will take a while…. it could take ages to cock it up!

Here is the billet with one of my favourite fuzz pedals for comparison..

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you using a CNC mill for this? I'm intrigued...
    Are you using a CNC mill for this? I'm intrigued...
    No, a very old and tired lathe….

edited January 2022
    Started machining the enclosure today, Id forgotten just how tired the old lathe is, so its a case of removing about half a mm at a time, so it takes forever, got the inside roughed out and got chronic backache and have given up for today, machining will start again tomorrow, I need Gin and a Nap!

First cut to square the end of the billet

https://youtu.be/A8NFnZFNT_k 

and end of play and a couple of hours bent over a lathe that Noah probably used! The cutting tool is sticking out too far, but its all Ive got, so we make do….
    Tomorrow I need to tidy it all up, turn ot round in the chuck and skim the top face, drill the holes for the pots and footswitch, the holes for the jacks and power supply will wait until I can tell how much room the circuit will take….

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57 said:
    Started machining the enclosure today, Id forgotten just how tired the old lathe is, so its a case of removing about half a mm at a time, so it takes forever, got the inside roughed out and got chronic backache and have given up for today, machining will start again tomorrow, I need Gin and a Nap!

First cut to square the end of the billet

https://youtu.be/A8NFnZFNT_k 

and end of play and a couple of hours bent over a lathe that Noah probably used! The cutting tool is sticking out too far, but its all Ive got, so we make do….
    Tomorrow I need to tidy it all up, turn ot round in the chuck and skim the top face, drill the holes for the pots and footswitch, the holes for the jacks and power supply will wait until I can tell how much room the circuit will take….

That looks great Paul. I think the circuit will be tiny. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

Yes it will, but the billet of aluminium was 25quid, I don't want to drill it until Im sure!

• that looks awesome - the pedal is going to be solid! 

As Bubbles would say: 

the video appears to be private atm.

would like to know where you're getting the tagboard from :) 
    that looks awesome - the pedal is going to be solid! 

As Bubbles would say: 

the video appears to be private atm.

would like to know where you're getting the tagboard from :) 
    Cant seem to work out the video issue, but its nothing special!

Tagboard came from ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362832120539

Ive bitten the bullet and bought a proper boring tool for the lathe….

Pretty much finished machining the enclosure, the old lathe is pretty much knackered, so the inside is a bit rough and ready, the tools vibrated so much as there is so much play in the old clunker.
    But I think it will work, circuit parts should arrive in time for the weekend..need to make a bottom cover too..

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1581
    I think it looks great.  Will you tap the case to attach the base or just use a sheet metal screws?
    PhilKing said:
    I think it looks great.  Will you tap the case to attach the base or just use a sheet metal screws?
    I plan to tap it..

• SeshSesh Frets: 1917
    paulnb57 said:
    Pretty much finished machining the enclosure, the old lathe is pretty much knackered, so the inside is a bit rough and ready, the tools vibrated so much as there is so much play in the old clunker.
    But I think it will work, circuit parts should arrive in time for the weekend..need to make a bottom cover too..

Turned out nice
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28438
    That is neat!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    The enclosure is complete as far as machining goes, a bit of fine tuning and hole drilling for jacks was done today.

Offset Footswitch position and lack of led hole will become apparent later.

Mocked up with jacks (old) pots and knobs, theres loads of room within

Next job; Make a baseplate

Electronic parts have arrived,  thats a job for Monday morning, when Mrs B is at her Sewing Bee

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2022
    A little more progress on the enclosure

Print an Angry Wasp onto waterslide transfer paper, allow to dry then a couple of coats of lacquer

Soak for a couple of mins

Apply and allow to dry

Lacquer and when dry compare knobs…not sure yet, prob go with the Marshall type as the alloy top is similar to the alloy enclosure….

On Sunday Mrs B goes to a special sewing bee so Ill have the house to myself, so that time is set aside to solder the board…

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The enclosure looks awesome and it's novel (for me) to have an enclosure before completing the board 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    Looks awesome, at this point, if I were you, I would drill for an LED right at the high-lit part of the eye, but you always know when a fuzz is on anyway.
    Nice work.