1Q22 challenge. Build a Fuzz Pedal - I swear this bloody thing is jynxed!

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221

andy_k said:
    In the video, the guy explains that the fuzz knob bleeds off signal to ground, from Q1 to Q2, so as the knob is turned up, less signal goes to ground and more signal is fed into Q2, ie Q2 clips more = more fuzz.
    He calls it an 'earth strap' in the video, how is this accomplished in your circuit?
    I have built a couple of fuzzes, and luckily they both worked first time, and I still don't really understand how it all works.
    I thought LEDs need a resistance to prevent them from burning out? but again, I know very little.
    Sounds like you are getting closer, we'll be needing sound clips soon. 

Like you I don't understand how it all works, no idea re the earth strap. similarly I also thought a resistor was required for the led, but there is nothing mentioned in the kit instructions, gut feeling the resistor is elsewhere in the circuit? Who knows?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    I see you posted a link to some tagboard, have you got a link to the kit?
    I like the layout you have there, would like to do something similar, the Fuzzes in the vid I posted did sound pretty spectacular, and they were just using my fav amp, the Marshall Class 5, not highly regarded, but the tele sounded pretty good through it.
    If all else fails, a Rangemaster is an even simpler circuit, even I can nearly understand that one.
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

I built his Rangemaster, I quite liked the tagboard circuit, but I did have a few problems with his instructions, and I later added a battery, not much point in using a power supply if you are only using one pedal.
    I think your case looks a lot cooler, and I think components are pretty good quality.
    It's easy to make simple mistakes, even on these simple circuits.

andy_k said:
    It's easy to make simple mistakes, even on these simple circuits.

So far Ive found I pit a Transistor in 180 degrees out and a 15uf capacitor on the gain pot reverse of how it should be, which makes me wonder if that cap has failed as the gain pot does nothing, perhaps the cap is letting nothing through?

• euaneuan Frets: 1942
    Its really unlikely that a capacitor in that circuit would fail from being reversed.

Is there a circuit diagram? Is there signal when bypassed? Do you have a multimeter?
    No, yes and no….

This circuit looks pretty good, saved and printed it for myself.
    ,https://pigeonfx.com/collections/pcb/products/fuzz-face-iss1-pcb

Fairly easy to match components to your own layout, note the use of the same colour for all grounds, and then the resulting earth to the case, which I think is one thing you are missing.
    You are using a different switch, power, and have added LED, which is another thing that is notoriously difficult to understand, and I have my own experience of  this particular suppliers kit instructions, not saying it is wrong, but it might not be completely clear.
    If you heard a 'pop' when you were building it, I am thinking you may have exposed the transistor (either) to too much heat, It is difficult to diagnose anything  without a meter, but I am sure we will get it working for you somehow.
    edited January 2022
    I have replaced both transistors now…Im pretty sure it earths through the pots and jacks….
    I think I will draw out the schematic from the instructions….

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 894
    edited January 2022
    No need for the ground strap. Should be fine. Will work outside of the box. 
    The power red and black need swapping I think. 
    Check all the values are ok and all the electrolytic are in the right direction. 
    Then try again. 
    Get yourself a replacement multimeter and we can video chat to have a look if it still doesn't work.

I would normally advise to test before adding the switch. Often people go wrong with the switch. 

I will take another look at the pdf as the led resistor must be on the board. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• euaneuan Frets: 1942
    Cookiemonster said:
    If its a Si Fuzz Face then yeah.
  • euan said:
    Cookiemonster said:
    If its a Si Fuzz Face then yeah.
    It's a tone bender but is npn bc109 so definitely the power lead with the tag ( sort of L shaped) should be the ground. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• FlipFlip Frets: 68

Oh well, Epic fail heading for the bin…should.stick to what I know….
    Gutted 

Sorry this project hasn't succeeded.

This is my first time in this event and I'm beginning to realise it's more than a fashion show or a putative luthier's indulgence. Paulnb57 was encouraging from the outset and when I saw his metal turning I realised he was accomplished also.

However, as my own effort is progressing I am realising some of my own limitations, not least the element of my entry that required much more skill than I possess - and probably more space and gear as well - to help me get the tricky angles and physical relationships right. 

I intend to have a final warts and all expose posting of my shortcomings so that other members might avoid the time, effort and some modest money that thkis experience has cost me. Despite my disappointment I'm glad I took part and encourage others to have a go next time.
    edited February 2022
    @Flip ;;
    The project hasn’t succeeded…yet
    Electronics is very new to me and yes I failed…my comments were made when I was feeling a bit fed up…
    But in the background Ive had lots of encouragement and helpful suggestions, as a result I have learned quite a lot. I have ordered replacement parts and am attempting to
    1. Fix the original build (if I can) ( however it may be beyond me) but also
    2. Build another

I made some beginner mistakes and some stupid mistakes, I got a couple of components in the wrong place and no matter how much I looked I couldnt see it, I got two components in back to front, but worst of all I made an assumption that the power jack plug would be centre positive, so wired the power socket backwards….

My replacement parts arrived and Ive started again, however I missed one component I needed off my order so am waiting for another delivery.
    How I wish Maplins hadn't closed…
    I have learned to slow down, double check, triple check, how to use a multimeter to check continuity, test resistors, capacitors and pots, all easy, once you know how
    I will keep trying until I get it right.

I have made far too many parts guitars, what you will see on here when I post are the successes, I have had many failures, many  that didnt turn out quite right, in tue early days I would be pretty fed up, but now If something is not quite right I will put it away and leave it alone until I feel ready to regroup and try again.

My first partscaster Tele has probably been 6 different colours, been Esquired, had different pickups, different necks, Its finished and playable now, but it just sits there gathering dust, as it just doesnt appeal to me and I play others in preference, its still not quite right, bit one day Ill have another bash at it, and one day, chances are it will be ok….

So, please dont give up, whatever you have is likely to be fixable, it might not end up being the next best thing in the guitar world, it might not have the finish you anticipated, or whatever but it will have a bit of “you” in it…and most of all you will have learned something new and can go back later and put right the bits you dont like…strive to do the best you can, but accept beginner limitations…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57 said:

I love this, social media is full of success stories and photos photoshopped or taken from just the right angle.. determination is harder to capture :)

To quote from the Witcher:

any man willing to paint himself in the shadow of his failures will make for far more interesting conversation this night

If there are any components you need, gimme a shout, I owe you :)
    edited February 2022
    paulnb57 said:

I love this, social media is full of success stories and photos photoshopped or taken from just the right angle.. determination is harder to capture

To quote from the Witcher:

any man willing to paint himself in the shadow of his failures will make for far more interesting conversation this night

If there are any components you need, gimme a shout, I owe you
    Thanks! Im good for components* (I think), appreciate the offer, its what makes this place so good!

Actually as components are often minimum order of 10, Im REALLY good for components! (thankfully they are relatively cheap)

I owe you :)
    No, you dont..

edited February 2022
    Deleted, wrong place! 

Normal service resumed soon!

Put it back as folk replied

I really do think that the policy of children not failing, ie at sports day there are no “losers” etc, those kids are now becoming adults and have not really been prepared to fail at something, whatever, or however trivial that might be, compound that with social media being pretty swamped with “look at me and how good my life is” stories and images. It can I think make folk feel inadequate and due to never losing policy have never really had to deal with it, developing into mental health issues, when in fact the social media posters are probably just as unfulfilled in reality.…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    Paul, thanks for the encouragement; my only concern is that I didn't write a piece that made me sound too depressed - I'm not at all. In that department, I'm on Joanna Lumley's side!

My wife works in a primary school and the mental health issue will not be solved until the local authority/government stop paying money to kids who claim to have them. Many years ago a close friend (and the headmaster of a special school) said to me that he shouldn't have half the children he had at the school - he should have their parents.

I'm now preparing to make my photos revelatory not shot from angles that will minimise my mistakes. The only other thing I might do (if it looks like the thing will end up on a wall) is to take off the expensive pups and put back the Chinese kit pups instead.

Good luck with your second round!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    this pic appeared on my Facebook memories from 8 years ago, shortly before i had a fire

That's just some of the projects that didn't quite work out from the previous 12 years of building.  I probably have a similar amount for another fire now I'm at 20 years building the things.  There are a lot more that have been successful.  Probably just as many that have run into issues, but been saved by a clever fix or rework.

I learned a lot more from that pile of failed experiments than I did from the ones that worked as they should first time

There does seem to be a growing reluctance with new builders to actually share their learning journey... or suddenly delete it all in shame when they reach a certain level of prominence.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28438
    paulnb57 said:

I really do think that the policy of children not failing, ie at sports day there are no “losers” etc, those kids are now becoming adults and have not really been prepared to fail at something, whatever, or however trivial that might be, compound that with social media being pretty swamped with “look at me and how good my life is” stories and images. It can I think make folk feel inadequate and due to never losing policy have never really had to deal with it, developing into mental health issues, when in fact the social media posters are probably just as unfulfilled in reality.

I could not agree more.

Although "life isn't a competition", we can't all be the most successful, most bestist at everything we aim to do.  The sooner we all realise and accept that (and stop believing that we can achieve completely unrealistic dreams - like emulating the false lifestyles of "influencers") the happier we'll all be.

"Happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want".

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.