1Q22 challenge. Build a Fuzz Pedal - I swear this bloody thing is jynxed!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• WezV said:
    this pic appeared on my Facebook memories from 8 years ago, shortly before i had a fire

That's just some of the projects that didn't quite work out from the previous 12 years of building.  I probably have a similar amount for another fire now I'm at 20 years building the things.  There are a lot more that have been successful.  Probably just as many that have run into issues, but been saved by a clever fix or rework.

I learned a lot more from that pile of failed experiments than I did from the ones that worked as they should first time

There does seem to be a growing reluctance with new builders to actually share their learning journey... or suddenly delete it all in shame when they reach a certain level of prominence.

Absolutely this. I'm a total beginner and my threads are mostly "I'm trying this, but I'm rubbish at it". By the end, I'm a bit better which is nice, and I'm very proud that every build (well, assembly and finish) I've done has been better than the previous.

Makes for a way more interesting read as well, I think, although I bet a lot of people think I'm really boring :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    I bought new components, I rebuilt it, rewired, plugged it in an…nothing….I’m done, I struggle to see close up, I struggle to pick up and hold small parts, I dont understand what Im doing, so dont understand why it doesn't work
    I tried, I retried, Im done, sometimes we have to admit defeat
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    edited February 2022
    sorry to hear that,  -I'm happy to take a look at the circuit board. Even circuit test the transistors 

That enclosure is one or the coolest things I've seen for a long time, it will become a forum legend!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28438
    :(
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Chaps, I appreciate all the help, advice etc from forumites. I have just decided its time to cut my losses and admit defeat…we cant all be good at stuff

However, in conjunction with another forumite there will be a circuit in the enclosure…..cant really post it in the challenge as I wont have produced the circuit, but it will have something in it, innit…

I will however have a MM LP DC alike, that I am very happy with.

Im comfortable with guitars if they dont work I have a good idea how to fix them, electronic stuff, Im clueless, I just dont understand circuits etc, so I tried I failed, Im moving on…I think its important to have a go at things, but we have to admit, sometimes that stuff is beyond us, no shame in it, better to try etc
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    Ah man, that is such a shame, but I say the same thing every time I do a pedal - never again.
    I think it's that magic electricity, that some of us just don't understand.
    I think your pedal can still stand in the challenge, you built that amazing enclosure, I was waiting to see how you nailed it shut, a couple of countersunk tapped screws, and a couple of low profile rubber feet would have been so satisfying.
    My first Fuzzdog kit was a Noisy Cricket amp, and when it worked first time, I was so buzzed I had to build another one, just to savour the experience again, and only much later on did I find out I had wired one of the power socket wires backwards, only found out when I was trying to power them up by a home made battery pack. It was discussed on here, and I still don't fully understand HOW I did it wrong, even Fuzzdogs instructions were a little ambiguous then.
    At the other end of the spectrum, I challenged myself with one of Fuzzdog's harder kits, stated as a 'difficult' build, due to the amount of components, and I took my time, measured everything twice, double checked the soldering, and did it as neatly as I could, and thankfully it worked first time.
    It was a brave move, because I simply would not have had a single clue if it hadn't worked, and it would have been a very expensive experience, but it got me through part of the lockdown, and gave me something to focus on, so now it is one of my favourite bland grey boxes, with some nice knobs.
    I had a couple more goes, trying to make the enclosures look nice, polishing and painting, and did a Der Ray, and an Octavia, both picked up cheap here, and both came out great, the Octavia enclosure wasn't drilled, so that was another exercise in trying to make something interesting, it currently has a set of free backwards knobs from 'Guitar Player' magazine, that go to 11, backwards, so makes no sense, but it is truly a special thing, such a simple circuit, with a transformer and 2 footswitches and I put my own LED in there, so satisfying.
    IMO, your pedal deserves to be still in the competition, and given we still have a month, I am sure you can get some noise out of it.
    I looked at your other builds, and the MM looks awesome, and the F hole body just needs a bit more time, so just go for it, and have 2 entries, double your chances of winning.
  • andy_k said:
    Ah man, that is such a shame, but I say the same thing every time I do a pedal - never again.
    I think your pedal can still stand in the challenge, you built that amazing enclosure, I was waiting to see how you nailed it shut, a couple of countersunk tapped screws, and a couple of low profile rubber feet would have been so satisfying.
    My first Fuzzdog kit was a Noisy Cricket amp, and when it worked first time, I was so buzzed I had to build another one, just to savour the experience again, and only much later on did I find out I had wired one of the power socket wires backwards, only found out when I was trying to power them up by a home made battery pack. It was discussed on here, and I still don't fully understand HOW I did it wrong, even Fuzzdogs instructions were a little ambiguous then.
    At the other end of the spectrum, I challenged myself with one of Fuzzdog's harder kits, stated as a 'difficult' build, due to the amount of components, and I took my time, measured everything twice, double checked the soldering, and did it as neatly as I could, and thankfully it worked first time.
    It was a brave move, because I simply would not have had a single clue if it hadn't worked, and it would have been a very expensive experience, but it got me through part of the lockdown, and gave me something to focus on, so now it is one of my favourite bland grey boxes, with some nice knobs.
    I had a couple more goes, trying to make the enclosures look nice, polishing and painting, and did a Der Ray, and an Octavia, both picked up cheap here, and both came out great, the Octavia enclosure wasn't drilled, so that was another exercise in trying to make something interesting, it currently has a set of free backwards knobs from 'Guitar Player' magazine, that go to 11, backwards, so makes no sense, but it is truly a special thing, such a simple circuit, with a transformer and 2 footswitches and I put my own LED in there, so satisfying.
    IMO, your pedal deserves to be still in the competition, and given we still have a month, I am sure you can get some noise out of it.
    I looked at your other builds, and the MM looks awesome, and the F hole body just needs a bit more time, so just go for it, and have 2 entries, double your chances of winning.
    I think it if it's a Collaboration it should still be allowed to be in. Is that within the rules. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• andy_k said:
    These builds sound very interesting. I would love to see them. 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    andy_k said:
    These builds sound very interesting. I would love to see them. 
    Pretty much all documented in the 'lock down pedal build' thread, including the statement 'never again', a few times.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Appreciate the comment folks, I have suggest that this fuzz pedal becomes a collaboration….

• That enclosure is a success all on its own - I hope you get something working in the end! 
  • paulnb57 said: 

I seem to recall the very first "clarksonesque challenge" in around 2008 which TimmyO and a few others started... story was the big seller and collaboration even more so, Tim made a spalted explorer and I think he got some great advice from a nearby luthier mate name of xlr8.

That is one kick-ass pedal enclosure, hewn from the living aluminium! The motif looks like nose cone art from a fighter plane. 

I've read those instructions and frankly my eyes crossed, PCBs from fuzz dog use the "poke yoke" (Japanese term) to reduce mistakes, but those instructions read like an English comprehension piece! A picture is worth a thousand words and due to using tagboard might breach copyright.

I reckon a set of chicken head knobs ;)
    The Fuzz is not dead…..myself and @Cookiemonster have agreed a collaboration, I will finish the enclosure, he will solder up a (working) fuzz to put inside.
    Im going to redo the wasp on the enclosure as Im not happy with it, I printed on transparent waterslide film rather than the white I intended, so if redone with a white background the colours will be more saturated, I also need to make a rear cover and drill and tap for securing screws. Once the lacquer is dry Ill drill through the wasp eye for the led to shine through…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68
    Paul's problems with electricity not going where it should in this competition led me to consider where the future of modding might lead.

Am I simply badly informed or is Fender's Acoustronic range not changing the entire potential for our hobby? Compared to the very basic passive circuitry in most guitars, the new Fenders have a circuit board densely packed with surface mounted components that I imagine will test the ability and ingenuity of all but the most experienced electronics modders.

That'll be a pity in a way but it seems to me that a new level of sophistication in guitar electronics is well overdue.

• WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    Flip said:
    Paul's problems with electricity not going where it should in this competition led me to consider where the future of modding might lead.

Am I simply badly informed or is Fender's Acoustronic range not changing the entire potential for our hobby? Compared to the very basic passive circuitry in most guitars, the new Fenders have a circuit board densely packed with surface mounted components that I imagine will test the ability and ingenuity of all but the most experienced electronics modders.

That'll be a pity in a way but it seems to me that a new level of sophistication in guitar electronics is well overdue.

compare it to the variax stuff before... many modders found new ways to get it installed into different things, whether it was straight transplants of the tech, or rebuilding some bits.
  • Flip said:

There's so many older guitars I am sure it will be ok for guitar modding. Plus I imagine people will sell kits with smd presoldeted. Smd while tiny isn't beyond home hobbyists for pedal making. People are soldering the j201s onto adapter boards these days. 

Challenge guitar is finished, so today I thought I would finish the fuzz enclosure, made a back cover from some scratchplate material, drilled the screw holes, the drill snagged and snapped in a hole, I swear the thing is jynxed! I ahd to rotate the cover and redrill. Cant see it with the cover on but its a bloody shame. Drilled out the angry wasp eye too, for the led to shine through….

FFS!

• paulnb57 said:
    Challenge guitar is finished, so today I thought I would finish the fuzz enclosure, made a back cover from some scratchplate material, drilled the screw holes, the drill snagged and snapped in a hole, I swear the thing is jynxed! I ahd to rotate the cover and redrill. Cant see it with the cover on but its a bloody shame. Drilled out the angry wasp eye too, for the led to shine through….

FFS!

It's all going to work out fine I am sure.