Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SGs

What's Hot

Comments

• Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1050
    My first guitar, loved it until I then purchased other guitars. Just felt after I purchased others that I needed an extra long arm to play the SG. 
    It’s the only guitar I leave in the case I played these days 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    I recently acquired the 61 standard (2019) with sideways vibrola, it's a beauty. None of the neck dive.
    Qu'elle surprise! SG, with heavy lump of metal on its lower bout, balances perfectly on a strap.

Ooh, look. Gibson even bunched up the controls together to leave space for the vibrato. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I must admit I'm very fond of my '04 ebony board Special, and the batwing guard means I can swap between P90s and humbuckers on a whim.

It did have a vibrola, but I never really used it so it's sat in a box somewhere. 

It cost me £500 quid and I'm not sure I'd ever spend three times that for an SG, but it does sound good and doesn't neck dive at all.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I recently acquired the 61 standard (2019) with sideways vibrola, it's a beauty. None of the neck dive.
    Qu'elle surprise! SG, with heavy lump of metal on its lower bout, balances perfectly on a strap.

Ooh, look. Gibson even bunched up the controls together to leave space for the vibrato. 
    That’s what I got too, and it literally pointed at the floor
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulie said:
    I love SGs, but really don't think they suit trapezoid inlays, hence I don't really like the look of Standards.

Up until a few years ago the best looking SG Gibson made was the (full gloss) Classic, but since they've released the Special with wrapover tailpiece, bound neck with dots and P90s they've surpassed themselves.
    This beastie?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @p90fool that looks awesome.

I also love the Pelham blue one above but I think humbuggys are required tbh. 
  • I recently acquired the 61 standard (2019) with sideways vibrola, it's a beauty. None of the neck dive.

Tell a lie - I bought maestro. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26992
    @p90fool that’s ace. Those faded+ebony ones were amazing guitars. I had a brown one that I wish I still had
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @p90fool that looks awesome.

I also love the Pelham blue one above but I think humbuggys are required tbh. 
    It doesn't want for any more signal...that's for sure ;)

I get a bit of noise sometimes...but that's okay for rock 'n' roll (at gig volume, I'm less scared of the P90s than I am my unpotted Montys ;) ).
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18749
    I seem to recall @RandallFlagg posting some pics of a very gorgeous aged custom SG.
    Or maybe not...  :s
  • I seem to recall @RandallFlagg posting some pics of a very gorgeous aged custom SG.
    Or maybe not...  :s
    Long gone...I nearly bought it off him but it wasn't to be ;-/

Antique metallic teal, iirc...probably this one:
    https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/gibson-custom-61-sg-standard-antique-metallic-teal-handpicked-.htm

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18749
    @digitalkettle  That's the fellow, or very close! Nice one :+1: 
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1096
    BigPaulie said:
    I love SGs, but really don't think they suit trapezoid inlays, hence I don't really like the look of Standards.

Up until a few years ago the best looking SG Gibson made was the (full gloss) Classic, but since they've released the Special with wrapover tailpiece, bound neck with dots and P90s they've surpassed themselves.
    This beastie?

Simply simply lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    edited January 2022
    Great guitars.
    Forget the bonkers Aussie bloke. Zappa, Townsend and Kreiger are my bench marks.

Im not sure I’d spend large sums on a Standard. The early 90s Specials (gloss finish) are spectacular for the money.

Neck dive? Only had that on guitars where muppets have fitted heavy “upgrade” machine heads rather than fix the binding nut.  Use a suede strap as belt n braces.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    edited January 2022
    I exclusively play SGs, have 3 now. 

2018 gibson Std
    2021 gibson Std
    Feline Gothic 

All sound and play excellent although the Feline is the best in every sense. 

I don't have any neck dive.  I set my amp fairly bright for juicy rhythm and flip to the neck pup for solos for lovely thick honky tone,  I love them and people tell me it sounds great out front. 

Only issue is one you go SG, you kind of need to stick with SG. Because of the strap button position,  if you use a wireless and tend to swap the strap to a back up guitar during a gig,  it needs to be another SG as else the strap is way to long coz strat and LP shapes have buttons in different locations. 

I love have great access to thy upper frets and for me the neck feels just right.  I do wear it fairly high like Angus, Petrucci etc. 

Deffo get an earvana nut fitted by feline though,  it will almost never need tuning again smile 

Qu’elle surprise! 
  • Chaps, you do know you can put the strap pin in the right place (where Leo intended) and, all of a sudden, an SG sits really comfortabley, doesn't tilt forward and doesn't neck dive (unless you put a kebab on the headstock)?

Mr Iommi shows the way!!!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited January 2022
    Whatever you go for make sure you try it on a strap as it really does seem to vary depending on the guitar, how high you have it, your body shape etc. My mates Epiphone was bloody awful for neck dive. I don't seem to suffer with many of the problems that people often complain about, mine sits great without a stupid wide grippy strap, is nice and resonant and doesn't have any dead spots etc. I've given up with trying to make it sound and sustain like a LP and just accepted it for what it is (a poor man's Gibson ).

I would definitely suggest looking for a mid 00s one, a lot of them have the rounded profile which is absolutely perfect and it's the main thing that holds me back from selling mine - each time I put it up for sale, I play it and I'm reminded how great the neck feels.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I love my SG. It feels like home. I was incredibly lucky to get mine signed by Allan Holdsworth (who said "wow an sg!").
    Guthrie Govan who after being told not to be too perturbed by the other squiggle went "yikes"

I'm particularly fond of the 90s ones. The later ones feel a bit cheap, I feel like they diluted them down. The worn models especially trying to sell them as cheap as possible.
    The 490 and 498t pickups get a lot of crap online, never bothered me. Can't be assed to go down the rabbit hole of chasing pickups. 

I'd really love a hendrix white custom SG but that's crazy money. Honestly I think the SG is such a versatile guitar.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Like a PRS Mira only not quite as good. :-)

…but I’m still jonesing badly for a nice Junior!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...