Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Insane home fuel prices

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
edited January 2022 in Off Topic
In March our current tariffs end. We currently pay £290  per month. New fuel prices double this to £580. That's like a mortgage. How can people possibly cope with such increases. It's insane. We are coming up to retirement and this is going to be impossible.  

I need to go on comparison sites but Is anyone aware of which providers are currently most competitive? 
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12049
    A month?

How big is your house and how long is your heating on for a day?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10528
    Has electric gone up or just gas ?

We pay about £180 a month for gas I think in Winter but only bout £80 in summer. We don't cook with gas, use Halogen over. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    It's all down to how much each KW costs, so if you know your yearly usage, then it's easy to price-compare.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7877
    Wait till March and then see if new tariff offerings change, it can't get worse, only better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19337
    edited January 2022
    Wait till March and then see if new tariff offerings change, it can't get worse, only better. 
    Unfortunately the forecast is that it not only can get worse, it will get worse as the prices continue to rise & the current OFGEM price cap ceiling is raised.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/08/energy-prices-cost-of-living-crisis-catastrophe-low-income-bills
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10332099/Households-pay-90-deal-fallout-failed-energy-suppliers.html
    https://www.loveenergysavings.com/content-hub/energy-talk/energy-price-cap-2022-update/

Sorry to sound all doom & gloom, but it is better to be braced for the likely impact.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27903
    Voxman said:
    In March our current tariffs end. We currently pay £290  per month. New fuel prices double this to £580.
    Suddenly, I feel a LOT better about our monthly electricity bill, which has just gone up to £170/mth (from just over £100).

I thought that was bad!

(We have no gas.  Heating, hot water, and cooking all uses oil, for which we pay <£1k/yr, with a bit of coal/wood for extra heating in the winter.)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1063
    Voxman said:
    In March our current tariffs end. We currently pay £290  per month. New fuel prices double this to £580. That's like a mortgage. How can people possibly cope with such increases. It's insane. We are coming up to retirement and this is going to be impossible.  

I need to go on comparison sites but Is anyone aware of which providers are currently most competitive? 
    It’s okay though as Boris said that when we leave the EU we can remove the VAT from the bills. 
    So, it must be in the pipeline as he obviously wouldn’t just say it for no reason 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2022
    Here is a handy gas price calculator, does m³ to kWh etc. Very good for being able to put in exact volumes, tariffs etc. & crunching the numbers.

http://utility-assist.co.uk/Calculator
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7918

Wow, my combined gas and electric has gone up to £78 a month but I managed to get that fixed for three years last September.

To balance that I'm paying £52 a month for TV/phone/broadband, but I'm going to be seeing if I can get that reduced when I get a moment to no doubt sit on hold for an hour.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7877
    edited January 2022
    Unfortunately the forecast is that it not only can get worse, it will get worse as the prices continue to rise & the current OFGEM price cap ceiling is raised.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/08/energy-prices-cost-of-living-crisis-catastrophe-low-income-bills
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10332099/Households-pay-90-deal-fallout-failed-energy-suppliers.html

Sorry to sound all doom & gloom, but it is better to be braced for the likely impact.

The price cap will come in if you are on a variable tariff yes, but wholesale natural gas costs always come down after peak of winter unless we have an unusually long one like last year.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15839
    Well, I feel sure that the government will have the best interests of the population at heart and so will bring in some sort of subsidy to help ease the price of fuel...

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12495
    edited January 2022
    £580 a month ??!! Where do you live, a palace? We’re in a 4 bed detached, we’re home all day as we’re both retired and have the heating on all day most days in the winter. Our gas/electric has just gone up to £170 a month from £90 and I thought that was bad enough. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918
    Voxman said:

What the hell are you running it on, Courvoisier?!

I just filled my oil tank for £360, it lasts for a year.
    We seem to use bugger all electricity, maybe because we're not here much in the daytime. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    edited January 2022
    We switched to a multifuel stove that feeds a backboiler. All we run on electric is the fridge, microwave and lights... Oh and TV  
    What wholesale gas prices have historically done is not relevant now, as the supply/demand model has changed suddenly.

With concerns over future energy supply availability, wholesale markets are still experiencing extremes of volatility.
     Decent article here  https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10316877/Gas-price-crisis-energy-bills-continue-soar-2022-customers-save-money.html

I hope it is all just a case of market jitters making things look bad, but it appears that we might be in for a couple of tough years.
    I thought I was covered as I had a fixed contract... then the company went broke, as affected so many others.
    Now it's just wait & see. Not relaxing at all.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    Thanks all.

We have a 5 bedroom semi in North London. We also have a swimming pool that is heated by a gas boiler on a timed system and the pump system is timed for night time rate early (the pool is only open for 6 mths of the year.  That would allow for some of our costs but its a new energy efficient boiler. The pool would account for an extra 25% on our gas costs and only a more modest increase on our electricity costs as the pump only runs on economy 7.  

Clearly, we may need to replace the pool boiler with an electric heat pump and I need to investigate whether we should also install a heat pump for our main heating and hot water needs ie remove our dependency on Gas completely because its the gas prices that are the problem.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    Well, I feel sure that the government will have the best interests of the population at heart and so will bring in some sort of subsidy to help ease the price of fuel...
    I have switched off the heating to the servants quarters. Should do the trick.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    edited January 2022
    Swimming pools' make excellent sunken gardens and fire pits.

Youre coming up for retirement and finding things could be a struggle in a 5 bed house with a pool in North London?  do what others do in your predicament,  move out of London and downsize.  

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12049
    edited January 2022
    Voxman said:
    Thanks all.

We have a 5 bedroom semi in North London. We also have a swimming pool that is heated by a gas boiler on a timed system and the pump system is timed for night time rate early (the pool is only open for 6 mths of the year.  That would allow for some of our costs but its a new energy efficient boiler. The pool would account for an extra 25% on our gas costs and only a more modest increase on our electricity costs as the pump only runs on economy 7.  

Clearly, we may need to replace the pool boiler with an electric heat pump and I need to investigate whether we should also install a heat pump for our main heating and hot water needs ie remove our dependency on Gas completely because its the gas prices that are the problem.
    Only heat the room you are in, turn off heating in the pool and only turn on the heating 2 hrs in the morning and 2hrs in the evening and set the thermostat to 20c.

put a couple of jumpers on, and watch your fuel cost drop.

(that’s basically what I do.). Mine is about £70 for December.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918
    bertie said:
    Swimming pools' make excellent sunken gardens and fire pits.

Youre coming up for retirement and finding things could be a struggle in a 5 bed house with a pool in North London?  do what others do in your predicament,  move out of London and downsize.  

He wouldn't have to downsize if he moved out here, he could literally buy a small stately home in its own park land. 

Or buy another 5 bed semi and put half a million in the bank.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom