Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Insane home fuel prices

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    We had a big pool at my old house .......it was very expensive to heat even with a heat exchanger system to the point that we didn't really use it.
    One day,I had an idea whilst waiting for a coffee in an Italian Coffee bar ( pre-Costa /Nero days ) I saw how quickly the steam jet boiled a jug of milk straight from the fridge .Steam is much hotter than boiling water .
    I went and hired a steam jet washer with a diesel motor ( the kind used for serious driveway cleaning ).I got it going and gaffa taped the trigger on the lance and threw it into the pool which hadn't been turned on yet that year. I put £30 of diesel in the machine and left it running overnight .By mid morning the next day ,when the diesel ran out the pool was almost like a bath.
      We had an insulated cover which really holds heat well .
    I went out and bought a steam jetwasher . It needed to be used for about 2 hours every 5 or 6 days until mid-summer .
    Never put the proper heating on ever again.Saved a fortune.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12375
    Get a decent wetsuit
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Our last two months actual useage for gas/leccy was under £30 thankfully I have a builder down the road with an endless supply of free clean pallets for the burner. That being said at the end of the day you should be able to enjoy the trappings that you've worked hard for in life, these price hikes are an absolute disgrace, whatever your circumstances.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    Our last two months actual useage for gas/leccy was under £30 thankfully I have a builder down the road with an endless supply of free clean pallets for the burner. That being said at the end of the day you should be able to enjoy the trappings that you've worked hard for in life, these price hikes are an absolute disgrace, whatever your circumstances.
    I'm astounded by that saving (& well impressed).
     I know that there are very many different tariffs, rates & legacy deals, but In 2018 standing charges averaged £162.55 per year.   https://www.moneyexpert.com/gas-electricity/what-is-a-standing-charge/
    In 2018 it would have cost approximately £13.54 for a months standing charges without using any energy at all.

How are you managing to arrive at your under £15/month combined usage figure in 2022?
    I need to then follow your example  :)
    edited March 2022
    I'm astounded by that saving (& well impressed).
     I know that there are very many different tariffs, rates & legacy deals, but In 2018 standing charges averaged £162.55 per year.   https://www.moneyexpert.com/gas-electricity/what-is-a-standing-charge/
    In 2018 it would have cost approximately £13.54 for a months standing charges without using any energy at all.

How are you managing to arrive at your under £15/month combined usage figure in 2022?
    I need to then follow your example 
    Sorry could have been worded better should have said that was energy usage per month for two months and doesn't include standing charge. The central heating has been off all winter apart from a few hours here and there, gas cooker and hob,Worcester combi boiler. LED lights, turning stuff off, that's all really. Towel drying hair  =) which I have not very much of.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Mate of mine way back when with the old style revolving disc meter had a massive magnet which, when stuck to the side completely stopped it from spinning. He did it for years and played virtually nothing.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Aaah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
    I always work on the total cost per unit, which includes standing charges. Fewer nasty surprises this way  ;)
    Your numbers are still impressive though.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I bought some heating oil the day Putin invaded Ukraine. It was 72p/l which made me wince as it's usually about 45p. I had to buy some more, shopped around, two weeks later, and it cost me 129p/l!!!

During lockdown I paid 28p.

We are OK for money, but I can't see how lots of people will be able to afford this. 

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3581
    It will be interesting to see what happens post- 1/4, and later in the year. These kinds of price rises surely could reshape economies, to a degree. 

On a wider note, I'm surprised at the lack of public information pronouncements advising people to turn down the thermostat or to drive more slowly. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Greatape said:
    It will be interesting to see what happens post- 1/4, and later in the year. These kinds of price rises surely could reshape economies, to a degree. 

On a wider note, I'm surprised at the lack of public information pronouncements advising people to turn down the thermostat or to drive more slowly. 
    There's a lot of "denial" going on i.e. surely someone will do "something", it won't be that bad etc etc. Looks like carnage from where I'm standing - things will turn very ugly indeed.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22177
    p90fool said:
    He wouldn't have to downsize if he moved out here, he could literally buy a small stately home in its own park land. 

Or buy another 5 bed semi and put half a million in the bank.
    :)

Or just rent the emptied pool out as a 'character property for a professional couple'... 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hurling_FruitmigHurling_Fruitmig Frets: 694
    edited March 2022
    exocet said:
    Greatape said:

There's a lot of "denial" going on i.e. surely someone will do "something", it won't be that bad etc etc. Looks like carnage from where I'm standing - things will turn very ugly indeed.
    If we believe in a free market economy then it will eventualy (and hopefully not too far down the line) end up with the suppliers reducuing their prices. If no-one can afford what they're asking then they will rapidly go down the kazoo so it's in their (and more importantly their shareholders') interests that they remain 'affordable'.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2022
    exocet said:
    Greatape said:

If we believe in a free market economy then it will eventualy (and hopefully not too far down the line) end up with the suppliers reducuing their prices. If no-one can afford what they're asking then they will rapidly go down the kazoo so it's in their (and more importantly their shareholders') interests that they remain 'affordable'.
    If we consider the cost of extraction ..which is only going to go up, as oil etc becomes less accessible....do we end up ricocheting between 'too cheap to make drilling profitable' and 'too expensive for people to buy'?

Worth a browse: https://ourfiniteworld.com/author/gailtheactuary/?amp
  • Greatape said:
    exocet said:
    Greatape said:

If we consider the cost of extraction ..which is only going to go up, as oil etc becomes less accessible....do we end up ricocheting between 'too cheap to make drilling profitable' and 'too expensive for people to buy'?

If it's too expensive for people to buy then what would be the point of drilling and extracting it?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    Greatape said:
    exocet said:
    Greatape said:

If it's too expensive for people to buy then what would be the point of drilling and extracting it?
    No dealer would raise prices to the point where their addicts couldn't afford the product  ;)
    Greatape said:
    exocet said:
    Greatape said:

What's the alternative?
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Mate of mine way back when with the old style revolving disc meter had a massive magnet which, when stuck to the side completely stopped it from spinning. He did it for years and played virtually nothing.
    I would imagine that sort of behaviour would polarize a lot of people.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom