Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Troglys Guitar Show

What's Hot
Anyone else watch Troglys on YouTube?

Always nice to watch his stuff on Gibsons with a cup of coffee in the mornings - get to see all the lovely things I can't afford.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10577
    Yea I watch him from time to time. He seems like a cool guy. 
  • I've watched a few. Anything to avoid Andertons videos :)
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13888
    I watch occasionally when he's reviewing something I find interesting, but I have to get over the fact I find him intensely irritating.  The only YouTube guitar reviewer I actively like is Phillip McKnight.  He's very knowledgeable on all things guitar, has a relaxed presentation style and genuinely seems like a good egg.  Trogly just comes across as a bit of a pecker from my perspective.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Offset said:
    I watch occasionally when he's reviewing something I find interesting, but I have to get over the fact I find him intensely irritating.  The only YouTube guitar reviewer I actively like is Phillip McKnight.  He's very knowledgeable on all things guitar, has a relaxed presentation style and genuinely seems like a good egg.  Trogly just comes across as a bit of a pecker from my perspective.
    I get that - he's probably not my first choice to sit and have a pint with, but he does regular, reliable content and I will admit he's presented some guitars that I'd not normally have paid attention to.
  • Yup, discovered him recently while he was unboxing the set of LP's in limited edition colours he'd just got. Quite in to his channel now. 
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 1016
    edited February 2022
    Watched a couple, good content and well presented, but his voice gets on my wick so gave up. Like @Offset I'd watch Phil McKnight any day of the week.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    edited February 2022
    Some videos are alright. I found it interesting that he offers an expert valuation service when a fair few of  his videos are about him getting scammed and unknowingly buying fakes though. 
  • AsterixTG said:
    Anyone else watch Troglys on YouTube?

No. Can't say I really enjoy watching guitar-related vids, YouTube or otherwise. Not my bag.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    I watch his videos a few times a week.  He’s inoffensive, sometimes I learn something (but I still take some facts with a pinch of salt, it’s the internet after all) but he seems cool and it’s not flashy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5618
    edited February 2022
    I like how he breaks down the guitars, literally, and measures stuff carefully (neck shapes/dimensions, weights are esp good as guidelines/baselines especially for unfamiliar/strange models). Important info that I wish all mfrs would supply. The tone demos on the other hand are not so useful...

That said I'm mostly with H7 and find YouTube guitar culture to be super cringe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 428
    Watch him regularly - always amazed by the number of times he buys guitars from dealers/the general public that have dings, dents and other issues that haven't been disclosed and he just accepts them.

Also can't believe some of the QC issues on high-spec Gibsons he buys new (signature Dave Mustaine Flying V with a damaged fret inlay, for example).
  • Hes a salesman, first and foremost, but as long as you remember that, hes ok. He constantly hits post on specs as well, but has done very well to come from working in a supermarket about 6 years ago to buying Michael Jordans house or whoevers it was. That video was utterly insane.  
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Hes a salesman, first and foremost, but as long as you remember that, hes ok. He constantly hits post on specs as well, but has done very well to come from working in a supermarket about 6 years ago to buying Michael Jordans house or whoevers it was. That video was utterly insane.  
    If it's some basketball player's house then that explains the massive indoor basketball court. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30354
    First one I googled was an unboxing one - FUCK OFF!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like him. He gets a bit of a bad wrap on some parts of the guitar internet but he provides good factual content. You do have to take some things with a pinch of salt, as ultimately he is a business man/seller - however is nothing like the YouTube channels of the big guitar shops who make no mention of anything wrong or untoward. 

He is very up on his Gibson history but would like to see a branch out into Fender world a bit more. Some of the Japanese stuff would be good to document too.

lustycourtier said:
    Hes a salesman, first and foremost, but as long as you remember that, hes ok. He constantly hits post on specs as well, but has done very well to come from working in a supermarket about 6 years ago to buying Michael Jordans house or whoevers it was. That video was utterly insane.  
    Never knew that! His house always looked pretty fancy in his vids but I assumed it was a family members. That's a downer on my judgement more than anything.
  • Sassafras said:
    First one I googled was an unboxing one - FUCK OFF!
    Yeah, he does that with everything he gets, some days it can be five plus...

I'm guessing it's so he can show/prove that any damage to guitars was caused before his involvement so he can return if not sold as advertised, but also to create a reveal.

I just click past the unboxings, as I do if I know it's other content I have zero interest in.
  • I think videos like his are creating unrealistic expectations of how a guitar should come out of box.

Also, his voice gets on my nerves.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    edited February 2022
    Yup, discovered him recently while he was unboxing the set of LP's in limited edition colours he'd just got. Quite in to his channel now. 
    Weren't half of them damaged in transit. Stuffed end pins etc. His voice gets on my tits. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• AsterixTGAsterixTG Frets: 314
    edited February 2022
    Devil#20 said:
    Yup, discovered him recently while he was unboxing the set of LP's in limited edition colours he'd just got. Quite in to his channel now. 
    Weren't half of them damaged in transit. Stuffed end pins etc. His voice gets on my tits. 
    Ah yeah, that's right - one of the boxes was massive as they'd put 3 hardcased guitars in one package. It was heavy, unwieldy and obviously had been badly handled/damaged in transit.
  • Devil#20 said:
    One thing Id like to see, would be a day in the life episode. Theres no way he works alone anymore, but even then theres not enough hours in the day. Videos lately he has his hoody over his hands which makes me think its someone else doing some of the footage