Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Buying a flat, getting a mortgage, and the BS that comes with it...

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
My wife is talking to a mortgage advisor who are doing preliminary inquiries with her bank regarding getting a mortgage. So this morning they say that because my wifes visa - ILTR (indefinite leave to remain) - is on her expired passport, that they wont lend to her unless she gets a biometric residence permit. Nevermind that her two passports are bloody stapled together!!

The flat she wants isn't built yet, but they require confirmation of a mortgage agreement within 7 days of putting down the £2000 reservation fee.

So my wife, rather than doing it all via the post wants to do the premium service for her visa, which will cost her £508. She could spend that and we get told no they wont lend to us, and she's spent that money for nothing.

And I'm so down about the whole thing. She wants this flat that isn't even built yet, wont be finished until the start of 2015, and I'm not convinced we can afford it without big changes to our lifestyles. No more amps and guitars for me! No more morning coffees, lol.

I'm not even sure I want to buy a flat. The only thing we're truly agreed on is that we don't really like our current place anymore. But for London it is pretty cheap. If all this does go through, we'll end up oweing money to several people and paying a fair amount more than we currently do... for a flat that we haven't even seen yet.

*sigh*

FFS...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Get her knocked up, that'll sort it for ya.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    We need a groan button.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Just don't let Decker knock her up.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2014

There's no way I'm stirring Drew's custard!!!

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I can put you in touch with one of the best mortgage experts in the UK if you want a second opinion .. he's a really friendly guy who has access to deals most brokers don't know about. There are more sources of funds for property than most people realise. Your bank is the last place to go.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    I can put you in touch with one of the best mortgage experts in the UK if you want a second opinion .. he's a really friendly guy who has access to deals most brokers don't know about. There are more sources of funds for property than most people realise. Your bank is the last place to go.
    Hmmmm, could me interested. PM me??
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Does it have to be a new-build flat bought off-plan? Be careful with these, they can plummet in value if bought at the wrong time in the housing market cycle - many people think we are at a peak (although it could be another local peak, as with 2007).

mellowsun said:
    Does it have to be a new-build flat bought off-plan? Be careful with these, they can plummet in value if bought at the wrong time in the housing market cycle - many people think we are at a peak (although it could be another local peak, as with 2007).

To be fair, it doesn't look like house/flat prices are going to fall in London any time soon judging by the state of things. They're just getting more and more ridiculously expensive.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    mellowsun said:

This.

We bought a new build flat in 2007 which is now worth fuck all compared to what it was worth, so we have no option now but to keep it to rent out and keep as a long term investment once we've managed to somehow magic up around £25k for another deposit for an actual family home with a garden and whatnot so we can finally start a family. Which basically means I have, and will have, no disposable income for at least the next two years. FML. 
    joneve said:
    Which basically means I have, and will have, no disposable income for at least the next two years. FML. 
    That's the situation I am looking at right now. But 5 years.
    edited August 2014
    joneve said:
    mellowsun said:

This.

We bought a new build flat in 2007 which is now worth fuck all compared to what it was worth
    I don't 100% understand how that can happen. What happened?

The one we're looking at is about 5-10minutes walk to the tube station in zone 4 in London, it's a ground floor flat with its own little terrace box thing. Two bedrooms. For our needs it's quite a nifty place... in theory.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12530
    Just wondering, why a new build? Is it the price or the location that's the appeal? New builds are only worth what the developer tells you it's worth at the time, once they go on the actual market they tend to find their proper level. Personally I wouldn't touch it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Why would anyone agree to buy, let alone put money down on, something that hasn't been built yet?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    edited August 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    joneve said:
    mellowsun said:

This.

We bought a new build flat in 2007 which is now worth fuck all compared to what it was worth
    I don't 100% understand how that can happen. What happened?

The one we're looking at is about 5-10minutes walk to the tube station in zone 4 in London, it's a ground floor flat with its own little terrace box thing. Two bedrooms. For our needs it's quite a nifty place... in theory.
    We bought it at the peak of house prices...at the time it was a great deal for us for our first home...We needed little in the way of deposit and it came with white goods etc and is a decent size, but about 6 months after we bought it, house prices crashed quite magnificently and it's now worth about 35k less than what we bought it for. Great. We like living there, but we've out grown the place and want a place with a garden and more bedrooms so we can start a family.

In theory if we keep it for long enough, house prices might go back up enough for us to make a profit, but in reality the rental market where we live is pretty decent, so renting it out seems a decent medium-long term option if we can somehow find the money to buy a second house. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    edited August 2014
    Ah the middle age millstone ... I was pauperised by my first mortgage and interest rates were 16% then, a 1% cut meant I could afford a new telly ! I used to have to strictly budget myself for the month - I can still recall going around Sainsburys with a calculator to make sure I didn't blow my overdraft limit.  Went on for about 3-4 years.

Out the other side with no debt now, so life is good ! :P
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    boogieman said:
    Just wondering, why a new build? Is it the price or the location that's the appeal? New builds are only worth what the developer tells you it's worth at the time, once they go on the actual market they tend to find their proper level. Personally I wouldn't touch it.
    It's the location that appeals to us as well as the newness. We've rented cheaper old builds for the past 8 years, with paper thin walls, floors, and ceilings, old dodgy cracked cement and brick walls. Damp spots in places, old nasty carpets and a lack of a homely vibe. I know to an extent a home is what you make it, but the rental places in London that are around the £900-1000 pcm mark tend to be pretty downtrodden affairs.
    Christ! So if you were to pay £1000/month for a place that's 'a bit rubbish' what would you pay for a nice place?

Christ! So if you were to pay £1000/month for a place that's 'a bit rubbish' what would you pay for a nice place?
    £900 a month for a two bedroom flat with open plan lounge and kitchen. That's cheap for London guv.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Have you considered going further out then?

Travel time wise, you're no further from central London from Watford Junction (18 mins into Euston), than most of Zone 4/5.

You'll get more for your money etc etc, just depends how "in" London you need to be?
    Hmmm. I need to be in London really, for band stuff.