Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New iPhone is out - check out what some people are worried about.

What's Hot

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    edited September 2013
    Whilst maintaining twice as many processor registers at even higher speeds on the same sized die? I can't see why not
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just once I wish they'd keep almost everything stactic in a phone but double te battery life. One round of doing that as a major update would mean they'd have awesome battery life in heavy-use and I'd buy another one.

As it is, my now-2-year-old 4S still feels great and ios7 seems to add all the things it's missing, as long as it doesn't nerf the battery life
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddle;32621" said:
    Just once I wish they'd keep almost everything stactic in a phone but double te battery life. One round of doing that as a major update would mean they'd have awesome battery life in heavy-use and I'd buy another one.

As it is, my now-2-year-old 4S still feels great and ios7 seems to add all the things it's missing, as long as it doesn't nerf the battery life
    Not sure I'll be rushing to upgrade my 4S unless O2 have some cracking deals..?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33901
    stickyfiddle;32621" said:
    Just once I wish they'd keep almost everything stactic in a phone but double te battery life. One round of doing that as a major update would mean they'd have awesome battery life in heavy-use and I'd buy another one.

Not sure I'll be rushing to upgrade my 4S unless O2 have some cracking deals..?
    They probably won't- they have been stringing contracts out to 2 years, which is a PITA.
    You can probably sell the 4s for £200-250 though.

I'm upgrading from a 4s to the 5s- but not immediately.
    But then when wouldn't have any numbers to announce at the keynote speech - of course they don't need those... but then they'd not be doing the modern marketing thing which I'm sure wastes loads of tax deductible cash... who knows what the motives might be
  • Why no big screen iPhone though? The 5 is not that much larger than the 4.
    Not much new on the new phones where the completion is really starting to race ahead.
  • Btw my wife just sold her 4s (16gb version) as a part exchange for a Galaxy 4 got £170 from phones 4 u
    Bigger screen - with even less battery life... yay!
    Btw my wife just sold her 4s (16gb version) as a part exchange for a Galaxy 4 got £170 from phones 4 u

You get more if you sell on gumtree or privately. Trade ins always get you less.
    Myranda said:
    Bigger screen - with even less battery life... yay!

Bigger screen means bigger battery. Look at 13" vs 11" MacBook Air battery life- no contest, the 13" kills it.
    Don't ascribe logic to tech designers! They probably added a bigger battery by accident
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I handed over all the Company phone stuff to one of my managers, because he's such a techno-geek. Every now and then I get handed the latest phone from whichever company he thinks is the best. This time around it was the iPhone. Trouble is, by the time I get to figure out how to work whatever it is I've got, another new one arrives. It's a pain.

• SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    edited September 2013
    Myranda said:
    Don't ascribe logic to tech designers! They probably added a bigger battery by accident
    I'm not sure the designers are to blame - I suspect the marketing department has a lot of sway. If it's a choice between making it 1mm slimmer or adding 4 hours of battery life I reckon most will opt for the former.

What I find most confusing about the iPhone - and, indeed, most of the Android phones - is how much more expensive they are than a Nexus 4.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    What I find most confusing about the iPhone - and, indeed, most of the Android phones - is how much more expensive they are than a Nexus 4.
    Google sells the Nexus 4 at a loss to get more people using Android - they don't care about hardware profits, because they're more about the advertising and building the ecosystem around it. I'd say they've done a bang-up job so far, and I'll also be purchasing a Nexus 4 8GB at the end of the month. £159 for a phone of that spec is pretty damn outstanding. I'd go for the 16GB but I don't really need that much space, and it certainly isn't worth an extra £40 to get it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    edited September 2013
    Oh.

Well, that's me told! ;)

Also having spotted (largely thanks to your comment) that the price has dropped to frankly quite silly-cheap, I've just ordered a Nexus 4 to replace my inherited-from-Lady-BMcH HTC something-or-other. I went 16Gb because £40 didn't seem much more money and there's no SD slot.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72949
    edited September 2013
    And Apple is the other way round - they care about the hardware profits. In fact, according to MacRumors, in the last quarter iPhone handset sales contributed 51% of Apple's total profit - ie more than Mac desktop and laptop sales, iPad sales, software, and the iTunes Store put together. That's a very big cash cow they will want to protect at all costs. The logic seems to be that if the iPhone is even slightly better than the competition, it will still sell at almost any price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    And Apple is the other way round - they care about the hardware profits. In fact, according to MacRumors, in the last quarter iPhone handset sales contributed 51% of Apple's total profit - ie more than Mac desktop and laptop sales, iPad sales, software, apps and iTunes music put together. That's a very big cash cow they will want to protect at all costs. The logic seems to be that if the iPhone is even slightly better than the competition, it will still sell at almost any price.
    The irony is that the hardware in the iPhone is actually vastly inferior to that of any of the other top-20 phones. Well, that and the fact that the operating system itself is slower than Android.
    <space for hire>
    I just came back from the Apple Store in Westfield.
    Very interesting- 70% of the desk space was for iOS devices.
    Laptops and desktops were not in the best spots, sort of out of the way.
  • digitalscream;33350" said:
    ICBM said:

And Apple is the other way round - they care about the hardware profits. In fact, according to MacRumors, in the last quarter iPhone handset sales contributed 51% of Apple's total profit - ie more than Mac desktop and laptop sales, iPad sales, software, apps and iTunes music put together. That's a very big cash cow they will want to protect at all costs. The logic seems to be that if the iPhone is even slightly better than the competition, it will still sell at almost any price.

The irony is that the hardware in the iPhone is actually vastly inferior to that of any of the other top-20 phones. Well, that and the fact that the operating system itself is slower than Android.
    Apple buyers (myself included) don't give a shit about that stuff, they just want a nice phone with software that works. At this stage, as a 4-year iPhone user and 18-month ipad user, swapping ecosystems would cost me truckloads in apps, so I don't give a shite what Android are doing, I won't be changing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited September 2013
    ...so I don't give a shite what Android are doing, I won't be changing.
    That's ok, Mike, we still love you. :)