The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    It needs more camp. Even Ecclestone era was campy.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Myranda said:
    Pretty much all of my favourite episodes mentioned in one page. And all for the same reason - character driven stories. Girl in the Fireplace was all about the characters... and even then pretty much just The Doctor and Madame de Pompadour...  The Doctors Wife - again, made by the interaction of the Doctor and the Tardis ... 

The Satan Pit was more of a story, but the Doctor and Rose were properly on a roll, the writing for that was a big part of it, and they invested time in the side characters so we cared when someone died. The whole Ood "He is risen" mass chanting was proper creepy/good too.

I hope that by next season someone tells them which the good episodes are, so that they can do more of that. Also, this season the Doctor un-wrote a load of what he did... so I rather hope that the Satan Pit baddie is free to come back again... even if we only ever see glimpses of what he has influenced as a subtle thing and is never truly confronted. 
    Well, Satan (presuming the name) confirmed that he existed before time and before the universe - therefore, it's highly unlikely that he was killed by the black hole. You're right, that'd be an excellent returned baddie...far better than the inevitable resurrection of yet more Daleks.

The only thing that'd be more interested than that would be a proper return for the Time Lords, complete with all the social and political intrigue that should come back with them. However, it'd more likely be a glib two-parter that's never mentioned again.
    <space for hire>

• The only thing that'd be more interested than that would be a proper return for the Time Lords, complete with all the social and political intrigue that should come back with them. However, it'd more likely be a glib two-parter that's never mentioned again.
    Even worse: Moff might not retcon Timothy Dalton's appearance as Rassilon and he comes back. Eeeeek!

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Myranda said:
    Pretty much all of my favourite episodes mentioned in one page. And all for the same reason - character driven stories. Girl in the Fireplace was all about the characters... and even then pretty much just The Doctor and Madame de Pompadour...  The Doctors Wife - again, made by the interaction of the Doctor and the Tardis ... 

The Satan Pit was more of a story, but the Doctor and Rose were properly on a roll, the writing for that was a big part of it, and they invested time in the side characters so we cared when someone died. The whole Ood "He is risen" mass chanting was proper creepy/good too.

I hope that by next season someone tells them which the good episodes are, so that they can do more of that. Also, this season the Doctor un-wrote a load of what he did... so I rather hope that the Satan Pit baddie is free to come back again... even if we only ever see glimpses of what he has influenced as a subtle thing and is never truly confronted. 
    Well, Satan (presuming the name) confirmed that he existed before time and before the universe - therefore, it's highly unlikely that he was killed by the black hole. You're right, that'd be an excellent returned baddie...far better than the inevitable resurrection of yet more Daleks.

The only thing that'd be more interested than that would be a proper return for the Time Lords, complete with all the social and political intrigue that should come back with them. However, it'd more likely be a glib two-parter that's never mentioned again.
    Gotcha... rehoming timelord refugees, timelord prime-minister as war-criminal, zygon spitfire pilots, some famous luvvie on the timelord council caught for expenses fraud - wanted a duck-tardis .. and FINALLY the real reason the 11th Doctor wore Converse trainers - we knew there'd be a reason!        
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • And...go....
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Thought that was ok

• It had that Gatiss Christmas horror story feel: indeed given a few tweaks it might have made it as a festive special. It stands out in terms of feel from the rest of the series so far which is both odd and good.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    It was OK .. one big plot hole but better than men in green rubber suits.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Yeah, quite enjoyed it.
  • It felt far too much like they were trying to make another Blink. 

And failed, miserably.
    <space for hire>
  • Found it boring.
    It felt far too much like they were trying to make another Blink. 

And failed, miserably.
    ????? It was nothing like Blink in any way at all????? I thought that they were going to do a Blair Witch Project, which 'might' have worked with a good script, although I hate shakycam.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Found it boring.
    Agree. And it has been for a while but I just have to watch it each week......don't want to miss the good episode when it comes.
  • axisus said:
    It felt far too much like they were trying to make another Blink. 

And failed, miserably.
    ????? It was nothing like Blink in any way at all????? I thought that they were going to do a Blair Witch Project, which 'might' have worked with a good script, although I hate shakycam.
    I don't mean in terms of the story - I mean in the sense that they wanted to make a scary episode that people talk about for years later (hence the bit at the end that was supposed to be creepy, but wasn't even slightly).
    <space for hire>
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    I'm now officially "out".

I don't know if it's the script, the cast, the piss-poor stories but this series has been awful. 

This week's episode was dreadful. Surely no children are enjoying this?

Bah!
  • Generally the fans on Den of Geek are positive and have been dribbling pools of love for this series. Even they turned down yesterday's episode. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    Mark Gatiss :)>-

imageimage
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Chuffola said:
    I'm now officially "out".

I don't know if it's the script, the cast, the piss-poor stories but this series has been awful. 

This week's episode was dreadful. Surely no children are enjoying this?

Bah!
    I actually think it's better than the last 2 series. My girls really enjoy it but they are mad for anything Dr who.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73049
    I watched it tonight (was out yesterday).

It was OK, although it seemed a bit contrived with all the POV stuff and forced humour in places.

It was also what I had expected from the trailer last week - way too much of a Forbidden Planet rip-off even though they tried to make it different. The clue was in the name, really...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Actually quite enjoyed that. 

Fully expecting next week's on the old Harry Potter Diagon Alley set to be balls though.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.