What is the best P90 guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 658
    Martyn Booth Special is my P90 guitar. I had a LP with P90's but it was nowt compared to the MB.
    They come at a price new and are hard to find second hand. 

If one does come up then I'd recommend it.
    My one has the BK Martyn Booth pups.
    Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    For me and the style that I like to (try and) play, a P90 in a big old hollow body Gibson is about as good as it gets.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 699
    I had a Gibson Custom 330L from 2009. That was quite a thing. Stupidly sold it but it sounded amazing.

It was just under £1700, too. Brand new. Imagine getting a Custom Shop Gibson new for that now!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6914
    I have this for sale....

and I also have a 2009 Gibson SG Classic that I've been meaning to list for sale for some time but keep not having time....

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3018
    For me, sound-wise it's the Yamaha SG1802 on the left, but if weight is an issue, the Gibson SG Custom comes a very close second:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Or a simple single P90 on an ES-125. A bit like an ES-175-lite, lovely for jazz and blues, and some of the early rock and rollers will have belted it out on these.  I've bought this actual guitar three times now. So far.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 607
    I have what I think is a Gibson Les Paul Junior Satin in Black..
    It sounds astounding and writes songs for you...
    Great Sustain and sounds..
    it made me want to start a band just to use that guitar for it...Seriously..
    I know Never Mind the Bollocks is Supposed to be a White Les Paul Custom,but the first thing I think of when I hear it is that sound...About £500 2nd hand,,was around that new a year or so before I think..2010 model I think..
    https://reverb.com/uk/item/15153323-gibson-les-paul-junior-2010-black-satin-nitro

I also have a Les Paul Junior Special P90 with Baked Maple Board from around 2012 in Cherry..

Brilliant guitar..Sounds good... Was around £600 new..
    Plays beautifully..

The Junior's sound is amazing though...
    Well Until you want a definite full on neck pickup..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74196
    1954-style Les Paul Custom.

P90s sound best on mahogany guitars for some reason, and there’s more mahogany in a 50s Custom than probably any other guitar!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8459
    edited May 2022
    I have the lovely Eastman T64v that @dazzajl is taking got a spin, I also have a Vintage LPjr which I really like (Proshop prototype).  Lovely, but i think I’ll put a ruder Oil City P90 in there. 

This is my current muse.  Not my photo, but now my guitar. Meet N’Eddie (the rare (not an Eddie Cochran model but exactly the same as an Eddie Cochran model) Gretsch G6120W-1957.  Needs minor tweaks, pickups are a bus ride from the strings. Once properly adjusted, will goose the amp good and proper!

Even as is, sounds lovely. Looking forward to putting the fire back in its belly!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2022
    DB1 said:
    For me and the style that I like to (try and) play, a P90 in a big old hollow body Gibson is about as good as it gets.

I’ve had lots of hollow bodies, including a Gibson ES195.  I really liked the ES195, wish I’d kept it, had lots of character, but was not as well built as a Pro Line Gretsch.  Had finish flaws, orange peel headstock paint, wood debris in the body, not as much care and attention on build as a Gretsch, but I genuinely miss it.  

I’ve always loved the sound of a Gibson L5,  I’d be very tempted to flog a kidney for a nice old one. 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited May 2022
    All very nice too!
    A Les Paul of almost any type with P90s is part of the machinery of heaven IMO -

jdgm said:
    All very nice too!
    A Les Paul of almost any type with P90s is part of the machinery of heaven IMO -

Needs a Bigsby ;)

I have Bigsby’s on everything. Wouks have a Bigsby on my cornflakes if I could.  

Love a properly sorted Bigsby. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15186
    For devilment, I nominate the second generation, non-reverse, Gibson Firebird. (Somebody had to!)

ICBM singled out mahogany guitars. I shall go further and stipulate Gibson scale length. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3476
    The best I’ve played was this

A Rivolta Combinata. I stupidly sold it and now I want it back. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4260
    The Eastman Romeo LA ticks a lot of P90 boxes ;)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12297
    I like the Gibson LP Special/JR for a P90. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    who was it on here that had the black LP custom with P90s ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3018
    bertie said:
    who was it on here that had the black LP custom with P90s ?
    There's one near the top of this page, next to the Yamaha SG. ;)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10929
    It's a tough call but there really is something about SGs with P90s. Having said that I own an SG Standard and a Les Paul Special so go figure
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5661
    Best P90 guitar? Why this one of course https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/207524/fs-gibson-sg-classic-p90s-2004#latest

Best guitar in the world, mad to be selling it etc. ;)