Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• Hi Folks! Been a lurker for awhile now and this should probably be the best time for me to create my first post.

Q1:  Where did your username come from?

First item I saw when asked for the username

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

Currently based in London, UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

Currently a beginner. Just really want to learn how to play the guitar and jam with my friends.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

As a beginner, I don't have much gear yet but I've been using the Teenage Engineering OP-1 for several years now. For guitar, I currently have a PRS SE Silver sky and my wife's Martin D28.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Probably SRV's rendition of Little Wing, which I've heard s thousand times now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pwiddpwidd Frets: 3
    Hello All

Have been on the forum for a few years now - well past the time I should have introduced myself - but it has been a pleasure interacting with quite a few members so far.

Q1: User Name: A combination of my initials and the letters ID .....I know, not very inspiring.

Q2: I'm in North Yorks - Historic York, every bit as attractive as Historic Les Pauls

Q3: Musical Ambition: To be better than the gear I have.

Q4: 'Best' gear - 1960s Silvertone Jupiter .....no, really, you should try Goldfoil pickups.

Q5: #1 Track - impossible (it changes) but probably something from Larry Carlton's Room 335 or Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi.

I thought it about time that I joined this Group even though I am very involved and busy elsewhere.

My name is David and I live in South Wales.

Several years ago whilst living in France I decided to learn how to make electric Guitars thinking it would not take long but, after many many years, I am still learning.

When coming back to the UK after some health problems I set up a Workshop in my Garage and have continued with this Hobby.

I also run many Groups on Facebook (with over 120,000 Members) dedicated to Guitar building and because I rapidly remove any unwanted people they have become very popular now being sponsored by some major Companies.

I hope to meet similar enthusiasts here and will do all my best to help and advise whenever possible.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1520
    pwidd said:

Q2: I'm in North Yorks - Historic York, every bit as attractive as Historic Les Pauls

Have some wisdom! 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nholmenholme Frets: 8
    Hi all, didn't think to make up a user name so just went for the boring nholme

Located in Preston Lancs

Retired school IT Technician

Interests: music, electronics, building pedals and valve amps.

Main instruments: Bass Guitar, Trumpet.

Best Gear: all my basses are home made apart from a headless Hohner style Bass that is great for concert band playing as it's light, easy to carry and I can put it down between pieces without needing a stand.

Best track: Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull
  • CliveGCliveG Frets: 3
    Hi all
    Unfortunately I can’t provide a witty anecdote or anything more in-depth than my fretboard name is the one my parents provided me with although shortened. In hindsight I could probably have spent more time filling in my details. I’m 43
    Born in Belfast, yes that one from 70+80s television 
    My main musical ambition is to soak up as much information and skill with what little time I can afford it, to earn money playing live and some day teach
    My favourite bit of gear is my Trent model 1
    And the guitar track that gets me going although forever changing right now is Their Law by the Prodigy
    Currently getting used to the fretboard set up as this my first dive into social media so hopefully I will enjoy chatting learning and laughing with you all
    cheers 
  • Q1: Where did you username come from?
    School nickname
    Q2: Where in the world/country are you?
    Originally from East Sussex, UK. Now living Vancouver, BC, Canada.
    Q3: What's your main musical ambition?
    Playing live in my own band. Have a band now need the gig!
    Q4: Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?
    633 Engineering Groove King Custom - my main "wet" amp in my wet dry rig, I use a Matchless DC-30 as my "dry" amp. Also they're both green!
    Q5: Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?
    Lazy Eye - Silversun Pickups
  • LG123LG123 Frets: 3
    Hi everyone! 

Been a member for 2/3 years but haven’t really posted, so a good time to introduce myself!

Q1:  My initials and favourite way to count-in songs!

Q2:  North Wales

Q3:  Keep carrying on gigging around Wales, and own a few beautiful guitars on the way

Q4:  Duesenberg Starplayer TV in stardust - used it for every gig since buying it in February

Q5:  Pain - The War on Drugs

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

• snowblindsnowblind Frets: 295

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Nothing to do with Sabbath. Just an idiot who didn't follow the advice to wear sunglasses whilst skiing.

Sunny Buckinghamshire ('cept its chucking down).

Play Comfortably Numb in St Paul's cathedral.

Best guitar is a 2006 Les Paul Standard. Just  a lovely,lovely thing. Best amp is a HiWatt DR103. The last amp anyone ever needs.

As mentioned above but almost anything Gilmour does is ok with me.

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1431
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2023
    Greetings all.

For anyone interested the pedal chain in that rig goes something like:

A bunch of drives which include on a rotating basis, Boss DB-2, Boss HM-2, T-rex Moller2, G3 valve OD, Nobels ODR-1, RAT, Mosky golden horse, TC-Spark boost, EHX Big muff among others. Wobbly bits include, Neo mini vent, MXR Phase 90, T-rex tremster, EHX mistress (2 versions), TC Viscous vibe, JHS stereo chorus. Delays include Digitech X-series, TC Alter ego x4, TC Nova delay. Reverb into the HiWatt is a T-rex roommate.Chain is split using a Radial ABY.

Amps are the HiWatt DR103 into HiWatt 4x12 and a 2x12 with a couple of ancient Fanes in it. Epiphone Blues Custom 30 with Eminence LadyLuck speakers. 

The more observant amongst you may get a hint of where my influences lie based on that lot.

Guitars: #1 is a 2006 Les Paul Standard which can be seen in that link above.
    Also have a Squier Strat Standard from early 2000s, Squier Tele Standard, also early 2000s, Epiphone dot 335, there's an acoustic,  a Revelation LP junior double cut with P90 which belongs to my son.

Mustn't forget the 1970s Columbus LP copy which is where it all started. Complete with the dodgy fake humbuckers which are actually single-coils. By most metrics it is a terrible guitar but it plays surprisingly well and it has a sound. Nostalgia makes me keep it and it does still get played. The pickups are horribly microphonic which can be a source of endless amusement but in the right circumstances it can create a glorious sound. Using the wireless to get a bit of distance between it and the HiWatt curbs the feedback and with the muff and an echorec style delay there's hours of fun to be had. 

• Wotcha guys!

From a small bear mascot from a former duet project, who is now a massive (ok, a mediocre sized) instagram account full of dumb silliness.

Oslo Norway (Originally from Cornwall).

To stop buying new gear and learn to pilot the junk I already have better.

A rubber pig that honks when you squeeze it. He’s currently trying to invade youtube.

Thought long and hard on this, so many great classical recordings (yup, I’m primarily a nylon thumper), and with so many brilliant new players coming up I’d have to say it’s “Bitch I’m a Cow” by Doja Cat.

• Q1:  Just beginning my journey in creating original guitar music. So, naturally, I am a noob at guitar music.

Q2:  Jersey City, USA

Q3:  I'd like to be able to express my emotions as vividly as possible through music. Though, for a tangible goal, I'd like to produce an album.

Q4:  My beloved Ibanez AF75 Artcore.

Q5:  I can never truly have a single favorite, but I'd recommend y'all listen to Jim Hall's "Angel Eyes" when you get the chance. If you're into jazz, anyway.

• Hi folks! I am a long time lurker and would like to start posting, I have always like the honesty on this site so here we go>

Q1:  My name!

Q2:  Costa Rica.

Q3:  Making a famous record and still reamin unknown

Q4:  1x12 with 1969 G12M 

Q5:  Steve Steven's atomic playboys

• I signed up a couple of years ago, and done a lot of lurking, but just found out I never actually introduced myself. I'm on so many different guitar forums, I didn't notice I haven't posted on here yet. So here goes:

I live on the South Downs, and I'm a man, so I just added the two together. I use the same username on a load of different guitar forums.

Originally from Canada, but now live on the South Downs, just down the A27 from Brighton.

I want to reach the point where whatever music is in my head, I'll be able to express it in a way other people will enjoy.

It depends so much on the mood I'm in, but what I'm most proud of is the Partscaster Tele I built. Never thought that was something I'd be able to do.

In My Life. The Beatles got me through some very, very tough times. And as someone who moved homes as often as I did growing up, leaving so many close friends behind, this song always gets to me.  

• Q1 - childhood nickname
    Q2 - lucky enough to live next to Rutland Water, UK.
    Q3 - to be able to play properly before I die.
    Q4 - Garrison AGLE-1
    Q5 -Sade - By Your Side
  • Hi all, so I'm politely informed that I should introduce myself so here goes, will try to keep it brief in the vague hope that anyone who reads it is still awake at the end.
    Started playing when I was 16, now officially an old git at 60 (do the maths) but apart from an ever stiffening second finger on my left hand (the one that kind of matters when it comes to right handers) all seems to work well.
    Strengths - I have a good ear, resulting in my brain being full to capacity of guitar solo's and melodies through the decades that I can hear, or sing very badly note for note, to the detriment of all other knowledge
    Weaknesses - Technically I'm the sort of person who holds the end of the jack lead and politely asks which hole I should plug it into, so not great.

Q1 - Just a nickname that friends called, first name plus first syllable of second

Q2 - Near Manchester, UK

Q3 - to keep learning, always so much to learn

Q4 - has to be my Japanese made 1983 Tokai Strat

Q5 - something by Led Zepp 

• Hi there! Joined a fair bit ago and never posted or contributed, only lurked, so figured time to flip that and get into the community!

It came about when me and a friend were trying to come up with 'cool' gamertags for our new xbox 360 accounts, figured it sounded funky being like inverted vertigo, i dunno. It stuck, use it pretty widely nowadays

Manchester, UK. I hear a fair few bands have come out of this town...  :#

Honestly, main driver is enjoying it. I'd love to get to a point of playing live on a fairly regular basis, even if that's just a covers band down the local pubs

Now I'm more of the 4 stringed low end persuasion, my top piece of gear is a Fender Jazz I've had for years now. Just feels so good to play and I have struggled to get any other bass to feel the same to play

Bending the rules a bit here to a current number 1, just based on what I've been playing, and right now it's Sir Duke. Find the breakdown riff to be so catchy and trying to get my playing up to the same speed/cleanliness is a fun challenge

• Q1:  Where did you username come from? It was a nickname given to me by my students when I first started teaching. 

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? UK - Dorset. 

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? Enjoy playing. Constantly learn.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Probably my Martin OM21

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Is it cheesy to choose a song I wrote? Gettin' me Down by The Measure. I love the samba style guitar part that Billy recorded on the outro.