Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Custom build

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Wow that looks great @davros. Really impressive 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking great indeed 
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1525
    I haven't updated in a while but made some good progress the last couple of weeks. I've refined the top carve with sanding and scrapers, and the binding flush. Routed the control cavities and cover rebates. The neck seems to be stable so I routed and chisled the inlays and radiused the fretboard.

Next to refine the neck carve and ensure no more neck movement before gluing in the inlays. The body is done for now, until I glue in the neck.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Man that looks so neat - lovely work.  I am just tooling up for my first LP build - I have enough figured maple stock to do 3 and another with a plain maple cap.   After the 2 PRS type carves and watching your builds i am feeling more confident about it.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Looking forward to seeing that build thread @PeteC ! I highly recommend the top carve thread on MyLesPaul, it helped me a lot.
    davros said:
    Looking forward to seeing that build thread @PeteC ! I highly recommend the top carve thread on MyLesPaul, it helped me a lot.

Yep - Ive read the ExNihilo threads and been scanning the Barlett MLP thread too. 
    FreddyG's video series on building LPs on Youtube is also really excellent. 

I really like Scott (Ex Nihilos ) overarm router jig using the lexan/perspex plate and simple box construction to do the top carve like a budget overhead router.  I make rig one up. 

Quick q - where did you source your inlay set from ? 

Inlays were a bit of mare! Last set of block inlays I ordered for the olive telepaul were from jnnpearlinlay on ebay in China. They were really nice but out of stock this time (they are in now). For this build i ordered some from Crimson (Hosco i think) but they were the wrong sizes, a bit too small so returned them. This batch were from ToneTech and much better.

If you're doing a Standard then traditionally they would be celluloid not MOP, which I think is a bit more of a minefield to get good looking ones.
    Had a day off work today so been working more on the neck. No more movement so I've glued and filled the block inlays, glued on the headstock veneer, cut truss rod access, drilled for the tuners and sanded the headstock outline to the headstock veneer.

Looking pretty good, if I do say so myself. Will look better when the headstock is sprayed black.

The plan for spraying the headstock is to use masking film - I'll manually cut around the split diamond and use my wife's cricut to make a mask for the logo. The MOP is about 0.5mm too large all the way around, so the logo will be a little more delicate when painted over. That's way ahead though. Next up is finishing the neck carve at the headstock end, then I can glue the neck in and get back to the body end.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fabulous work as usual.   That looks so good.  
    The neck is now glued in and I have begun work on the last body bits, namely fitting the bridge and routing for pickups

And a quick mockup - I need to make a pickguard, this is just a random old one

Next up is finalising the neck to body transition, drilling for the controls and reducing the thickness behind them to make them fit square with the top.

Then that's pretty much it for the woodwork - onto the finishing!
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 88CuzJ88CuzJ Frets: 44
    Well done. This is amazing!
  • Incredible skill, I’m in awe every time I follow one of these threads. 
  • Looking good @davros ; :)
    Some more assembling, a bit of nut filing and now it's strung. Always looks different with strings on! I'm very happy with the alignment of neck/bridge/pickups. Tomorrow I'm planning to wire up the bridge pickup and see how the scrapyard dog plus sounds through an amp before starting work on levelling/crowning/polishing the frets.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow amazing job man 
  • What colour are you going to go for?
    White. Manchester Guitar Tech's olympic white, which I'm assured is a white white, and a good match for Alpine White.
    Mini update, it has a pickguard! Made from 5 ply, with a 50s correct 60 degree bevel.

I've ordered a new bracket as this is a thin metal, wider than normal one that looks a bit too 'import' for my liking.

And with its less custom sister. The Custom headstock is clearly a lot bigger!!! It's not neck heavy though, despite being fully chambered.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It all plays well and is fully set up, so onto finishing!

Starting with grain filler. Since this is going to be a solid white nitro finish, I'm using white grain filler to avoid any bleed through. It shows the grain much more than dark filler, I'd probably use this in the future for solid colours.

Finishing will start with the headstock. I got some solvent resistant masking film on ebay and used my wife's cricut to cut out the logo. I cut the split diamond mask with a fresh scalpel. The binding is masked with vinyl pinstriping tape, as I know it can be scraped but when it is multi-ply like this, masking should work well.

I've just sprayed the first coat of black nitro. Once it's fully covered I'll remove the masking before the last coat is fully dry with all fingers and toes crossed!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That seemed to go ok! the paint is a bit lumpy and there's a bit of build up around the masking but I can fix that once it's buried under some clear. the edges are very crisp.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom