Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Custom build

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• davrosdavros Frets: 1525
    2 weeks are up!!

Wet sanded 800 to 2000 grit, then used Meguiars Ultimate Compound with a foam pad on a drill. Just ordered some Ultimate polish to get rid of the last fine swirls.

Going to try and resist assembling it for another week to give it a little more hardening time and give it a final polish.

Top tip, don't wet sand with white spirit without gloves. Chemical burns sting!

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2023
    Finished! Well, not wired up yet... I am going to coil split the bridge pickup but I'm planning to add a trim pot so I can adjust how much of the second coil is removed.

Unsurprisingly, acoustically it sounds very similar to its red sibling, but it should be a little different plugged in as it has a slightly hotter bridge pickup.

Here are a few pics. I'll do a NGD thread on the main board with some more.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Unreal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    That looks great 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Amazing job, really cool guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    Yep, that'll do
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2778
    I’d have put a sheet down on the carpet before spraying white paint, but otherwise an awesome job
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    Fantastic work!
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fantastic work!
    Thanks. Many of these parts came from you!! Thanks for the always great service!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    that's really fabulous - your finishing jobs put mine to shame !   Thats a true rock n roll guitar for sure. 
    Thanks Pete, the finishing is certainly getting better with each build. Next to learn is doing a decent burst!
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 428
    Custom looks amazing and the Standard's not bad either!
  • Needs a monkey grip!
    edited February 2023
    Last post (probably), got it wired up last weekend but added the final touch, a trimmer on the coil split, today.

Mostly just standard modern LP wiring scheme with a bridge coil split on the bridge tone pot. I put a 5k trimmer on the coil split to allow me to adjust how much of the second coil gets shunted to ground, giving a thicker sound than one single coil (which sounded very thin before). I have it set just below the max, probably 4k or a bit more.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    davros said:
    Last post (probably), got it wired up last weekend but added the final touch, a trimmer on the coil split, today.

Mostly just standard modern LP wiring scheme with a bridge coil split on the bridge tone pot. I put a 5k trimmer on the coil split to allow me to adjust how much of the second coil gets shunted to ground, giving a thicker sound than one single coil (which sounded very thin before). I have it set just below the max, probably 4k or a bit more.
    Nice touch, that. Dab of clear nail varnish or something to stop it drifting maybe?
    Good thinking! I was going to live with it for a while, test it with the band and ultimately measure the resistance and replace it with a normal resistor.
    davros said:
    Good thinking! I was going to live with it for a while, test it with the band and ultimately measure the resistance and replace it with a normal resistor.
    You know me. Always looking for an excuse to buy more nail varnish

How are you getting on with it? You must be smitten, it's absolutely stunning