Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which cheap pedal utterly exceeded your expectations?

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31253
edited September 2014 in FX
What pedal has blown you away for the money?

I was trying to find that impossible dream, the all analog multi modulation pedal. Still to this day the TC SCF is the most versatile I've come across.

However, about a year back I scored one of these and was utterly blown away by it. The flange, phase and reverb were brilliant, the chorus OK and the trem I never bothered with as I have it on my amp.

It is digital though, but excellent nonetheless.

Highly recommended.

The ZCat QMod.

http://www.zcatpedals.com/?dir=view&id=q-mod

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Boss OD-3.  

My god, it kicks all kinds of arse.  
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31253
    Boss OD-3.  

So does the BD2.

• Thing is, I wouldn't call eighty-odd quid 'cheap' for a guitar pedal ;)

Personally, if the Danelectro Tuna Melt tremolo had a decent casing it'd be on my 'board to this day, and the purple Nobels trem that routinely goes for twenty or thirty notes secondhand is my trem of choice.

Boss SD1, natch...and the Dano Rocky Roads, actually; again, victim of cheapy casing and my uncomfortableness with stomping on 'em too hard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Joyo Vintage Overdrive
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    All the mooers really save the few shitty ones. 

I cant help but reminise about when they were something stupid like £25 each.
  • Joyo AC Tone. £25 and incredibly flexible sounds.
  • Gassage said:
    Boss OD-3.  

So does the BD2.
    Apparently, they're quite similar circuits - or more closely related than the SD-1/SD-2.  

I couldn't believe my ears, I thought it was a boutique drive pedal - sounded fab.
  • Mooer Ninety Orange (is £60 cheap?). Blew me away, still my absolute favourite phaser.
    <space for hire>
  • does the EHX Soul Food count as cheap? I got one last month on a whim and in all honesty its the best pedal I've ever owned. It might not be all fireworks and fancy features but it just does exactly what you want and it does it WELL!

I was supposed to be giving up gigging at the end of this year and this pedal has singlehandedly made me decide to continue!
    How very rock and roll
    does the EHX Soul Food count as cheap? I got one last month on a whim and in all honesty its the best pedal I've ever owned. It might not be all fireworks and fancy features but it just does exactly what you want and it does it WELL!

I was supposed to be giving up gigging at the end of this year and this pedal has singlehandedly made me decide to continue!
    Everyone I know who has tried one has said precisely the same. Almost like a BK Tubedriver.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Line 6 otto filter. No decent demos online but this thing funks like no other in the filter mode. Don't use the auto Wah mode..
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Behringer PH-9 phaser.  The housing is awful.  The switching is awful.  It's about £15 new.  But it's the best phaser I've ever had for sticking in front of some overdrive for that chewy swirly sort of thing.  Bought it on a whim, ended up rehousing it and it has never left my pedalboard.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7927
    Joyo Tremelo - to my ears as nice as a Keeley-modded TR-2 I once had
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I am currently in love with a one knob Tonebender that I bought off someone over on the OSG forum for 20-odd quid. Apparently a Poodle Pedals kit build, it is simple and fab!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    edited September 2014
    Zoom B3.

OK it's not a single pedal, and at just over £100 it's not 'cheap cheap', but considering that it contains 12 amp simulators, 99 effects, a looper, a tuner and a DI box, I think it's cheap. And it sounds genuinely good, not just good for the money.

I bought it just to mess about with and try loads of wacky effects I wouldn't want to buy individually, but I took it to a band practice a couple of days after I got it and I haven't used anything else since. I've sold off all the pedals from my old bass pedalboard and have no desire to replace them.

It's not perfect, but the flaws are acceptable given how well it does what it does.

There's even a built-in basic drum machine if you need to work out something without a drummer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17942
    tFB Trader
    Excluding clones the Hardwire Overdrive is a massive bargain at the moment.

• Gassage;23094" said:

I was trying to find that impossible dream, the all analog multi modulation pedal. Still to this day the TC SCF is the most versatile I've come across.

However, about a year back I scored one of these and was utterly blown away by it. The flange, phase and reverb were brilliant, the chorus OK and the trem I never bothered with as I have it on my amp.

Highly recommended.

The ZCat QMod.

That looks ideal to compliment my T-Rex Soul Mate for seldom used modulation. But as Ian said it's not really a cheap pedal...

Might add it to the list for future consideration. Certainly don't need it now...

Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    Gassage;23094" said:

Highly recommended.

The ZCat QMod.

That looks ideal to compliment my T-Rex Soul Mate for seldom used modulation. But as Ian said it's not really a cheap pedal...

Might add it to the list for future consideration. Certainly don't need it now...

My point is maybe more for what it does it's very cheap. They come up on eBay quite often for c. £60. Really nice things.

• A lot of pedal for the money I guess if it's decent. I like that the reverb is independent...

I always wondered about these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400766730844

Cheap as chips.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • I'm a big fan of the metal muff, it's bloody cheap but a really versatile high gainer. I'm really into Rats which are definitely cheap by today's standards, they're a hard to beat for distortion, overdrive and fuzzy goodness.