Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which cheap pedal utterly exceeded your expectations?

What's Hot

Comments

• Branshen;345480" said:
    Line 6 otto filter. No decent demos online but this thing funks like no other in the filter mode. Don't use the auto Wah mode..

Good choice. I got mine for about £20 I think. I'm an envelope filter junkie and it's great!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    does the EHX Soul Food count as cheap? I got one last month on a whim and in all honesty its the best pedal I've ever owned. It might not be all fireworks and fancy features but it just does exactly what you want and it does it WELL!

I was supposed to be giving up gigging at the end of this year and this pedal has singlehandedly made me decide to continue!
    Everyone I know who has tried one has said precisely the same. Almost like a BK Tubedriver.
    I was loathed to mention it coz i suppose its kinda the "obvious" one but I really can't get over how much its changed my sound and my playing. Although i will say i DETEST the cheesy name and crap styling of it. other than that its not gonna move off my board for a long time
    How very rock and roll
  • Nobels ODR-1 

Amazing and I think it was £35 or £40 new!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Not cheap but have felt like absolutely wonderful value for money was the 3 big Strymons. I know they're bloody pricey but they've replaced so many pedals for me and sound absolutely amazing. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31254
    edited September 2014
    Iamnobody said:
    A lot of pedal for the money I guess if it's decent. I like that the reverb is independent...

I always wondered about these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400766730844

Cheap as chips.

Wow. GOing off course slightly, I truly believe the analog modulation allrounder is a piece in the boutique market that has yet to be filled properly.

Eventide, TC Nova, Line6, Zoom all a bit meh. The Mobius is the best of that digi brgiade.

I always loved the TC SCF- so clear and accurate. That and the Hartman are the best options for a 'just one modulation pedal approach'

I'd also kill for another Mayer  VoodooVibe. That's a pedal.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I am surprised about you saying that @gassage

I have been impressed by the modfactor, its a little fiddly in that it almost has too much sound shaping but it seems to have all the bases covered
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17942
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:

Wow. GOing off course slightly, I truly believe the analog modulation allrounder is a piece in the boutique market that has yet to be filled properly.
    EBS Unichorus can do analog Chorus, Flange and VIbe. 
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 146
    tFB Trader
    Arion SCH-1, I love them. My absolute favourite chorus even with its flaws.

• shadyshady Frets: 252
    This 'un

Does some weird shit as well as the more standard phase tones.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2411
    edited September 2014
    IanSavage said:
    Thing is, I wouldn't call eighty-odd quid 'cheap' for a guitar pedal ;)
    +1 :))

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of pedals which cost way more than that, and 105 euros may well qualify as "reasonably-priced". But yeah not cheap, for me anyway. If you ask me there's cheapo (sub ~£25-£30), reasonable (~£50), serious (~£100) and then boutique (£100+). For most of the more basic effects types, and for all I use them, there's no real need for me to go past the "reasonable" section. For a few things like delay and reverb I might need to go close to £100. I'd need to think really hard before spending more than £100.

EDIT: +1 on the hardwire OD monquixote. Several of the hardwires are pretty decent value at the moment- the dirt pedals and the delay and reverb are all quite a bit less than they used to be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited September 2014
    Deijavoo;345645" said:
    Not cheap but have felt like absolutely wonderful value for money was the 3 big Strymons. I know they're bloody pricey but they've replaced so many pedals for me and sound absolutely amazing. 
    Lol - think you misread the op - what was the outlay on your 3 big Strymons? At least £1k? Why post?

When I bought my CE2 roughly 27 years ago it was cheap - still using it - stock other than replacing the power socket which crumbled to dust about 2 years ago.

Dano Chicken Salad (£22 I think) - after doing the Regis Coyne mods it gave a Fulltone Mini Déjà Vibe a close run for the money.. http://www.regiscoyne.com/tech/CS_mods/

Joyo American Sound - again around £25 - would happily use one at the end of my pedalboard if my amp crapped out - great backup

Seemed like a good idea.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Behringer CC300 Space C Chorus. Basically a clone of the Boss DC-2 Dimension-C for thirty quid.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31254
    Gassage said:

EBS Unichorus can do analog Chorus, Flange and VIbe. 
    Similar to TC I am guessing? PM not vibe?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Excluding clones the Hardwire Overdrive is a massive bargain at the moment.

Yes, and the Digitech pedals (Bad Monkey, Hot head, Metal master, etc) are all excellent dirty pedals for not much dollar.

I'd also say the Digitech multichorus and Digidelay are both excellent at their respective jobs, again at the cheaper end of things.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JD50JD50 Frets: 662

Behringer RV600, been on my board for over 5 years now

NUX modcore, hours of fun making jetplane noises etc

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    JD50 said:

I must admit, I do like the Univibe and Rotary settings. Spent quite a while on my board for that reason. 18 quid from Donner!
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    edited September 2014
    JD50 said:

I'm quite tempted by one of those, as I rarely use modulation, so it would be a handy little pedal.  I had the Time Core, and was really rather impressed by it.  Did some pretty big gigs with that on my board!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • mike_l;345812" said:
    monquixote said:

Excluding clones the Hardwire Overdrive is a massive bargain at the moment.

Yes, and the Digitech pedals (Bad Monkey, Hot head, Metal master, etc) are all excellent dirty pedals for not much dollar.I'd also say the Digitech multichorus and Digidelay are both excellent at their respective jobs, again at the cheaper end of things.

I second that. A good set of pedals to consider. No massive outlay involved, very often keepers, and easy to flip if they don't stay on your board.

Gary Moore used the BM in what became the final phase of his career, amd that's a recommendation in my book.
  • Used Pedal Mods modified CE-2. My favourite sounding chorus of all time. Totally unmarked (it's 30 years old) - I paid £85 for it a couple of years ago.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited September 2014
    Skarloey said:
    Gary Moore used the BM in what became the final phase of his career, amd that's a recommendation in my book.

I didn't know that.

Funnily, I play nothing like GM, but the Bad Monkey is a favourite of mine for adding grit and boost to a dirty Marshall.

I'm very impressed with the MXR Distortion+ I recently acquired from Coda. Cost £40 (used), and sonically it delivers. Nice as a boost, doesn't colour the overall sound, and tightens the low-end (with amp/pedals for dirt) nicely.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)