Westbury Standard

What's Hot

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2440
    ICBM said:
    I would cut a v-shaped notch into the end of the headstock, larger than the missing peak, glue in a new piece of wood, then shape it back to original. That will be stronger as well as removing the round-over damage.
    I like this! 
    Thanks! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2522
    Sarge said:
    A bit further on today, 99% of the finish is off, revealing the butcher block mahogany under the veneers.

Are only the black ones "butchers block"?
    Ddigger said:
    Sarge said:
    A bit further on today, 99% of the finish is off, revealing the butcher block mahogany under the veneers.

Are only the black ones "butchers block"?
    As far as I know, yes. 
    some of the Deluxe models are also butcher block, but that's hidden under the burst
  • KevSKevS Frets: 628
    edited July 2022
    Sarge said:
    KevS said:
    I have just gave my Westbury  Standard to my Younger Cousin as I totally dwarf the thing...
    Mine sustained forever..Great Wee Guitars..I have a nice pile of guitars,
    so keeping it would have been greed..
    Those Old Dimarzios sound brilliant though..
    Seriously great guitar...

Supposed to be Mahogany,,but  to me doesn't look like it..
    Mine is battered,,but Dark SG Red...Love the German Carve in the design..

A Real Tone Monster,,but I just looked silly playing it..
    this is my keeper Standard, was trans wine red but chipped and in need of attention, so the heat gun and a bottle of Tru Oil were introduced   
    Mine is /was ,,was it "Burgundy Wine" the Westbury finish was called ?..
    and very shall we say quite naturally reliced..
    A lot of dings and varnish missing,but it looks good for it..
    I'm not into purposely relicing things,but the guitar looks like it has really lived and has a story to tell..
    It kind of looks happy as it is...

When I got it the switch didn't work and you couldn't bend a string the frets were so tarnished..
    Like seriously nasty with growth on them..

It now sounds great,but looks like a badminton racket on me..
    I kind of Dwarf an SG too..
    I can get away with a Les Paul and I like they way they hang on me..
    The Westbury for lack of a better description sounds like 1978,,
    maybe it is the Super Distortion in the Bridge..
    The Sustain though..Awesome..

I came across a few other people having them during my travels and thought they sounded great
    and always found the owners loved the guitar..
    "Sounds like 1978"  =)
    So a wee update.
    Superglue grainfill, epoxy to fill in the gouges around the body and Milliput epoxy putty to reshape the headstock peak.
    Guidecoat primer is on to show me where I've missed a couple of places. 
    I've gone for auto paint in a RAL9005 Jet black with a 2k clear, I really hope I've not missed the window for outside spraying... ideally 18-20 degrees... so not this weekend then :(

I've managed to source an original bridge and tailpiece (50mm spacing) and hopefully an original set of pickup rings. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    edited September 2022
    That actually looks great in grey primer :). It's like Midge Ure's early-80s Ibanez which he had done like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Silver sparkle and filtertrons! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    ICBM said:
    That actually looks great in grey primer :). It's like Midge Ure's early-80s Ibanez which he had done like that.
    I'd heard it was finished in Cumulous Grey... which was the colour used for BT vans around that time..
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

ICBM said:
    The thought did cross my mind to just hit it with the clear, save a can of black :D
  • impmann said:
    ICBM said:
    I'd heard it was finished in Cumulous Grey... which was the colour used for BT vans around that time.
    According to an interview in International Musician & Recording World magazine, the entire Ultravox tour stage set was painted that colour. Drum riser, keyboard riser, monitor wedges et cetera. Ure carried no conventional amplification, just a Sholtz Rockman rack pre-amp, fed through the P.A.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 464
    edited September 2022
    impmann said:
    ICBM said:
    That actually looks great in grey primer . It's like Midge Ure's early-80s Ibanez which he had done like that.
    I'd heard it was finished in Cumulous Grey... which was the colour used for BT vans around that time.
    According to an interview in International Musician & Recording World magazine, the entire Ultravox tour stage set was painted that colour. Drum riser, keyboard riser, monitor wedges et cetera. Ure carried no conventional amplification, just a Sholtz Rockman rack pre-amp, fed through the P.A.
    His guitars were resprayed by Brian (can't remember his surname) who worked with me at Ivor Mairants in the 80s. Lovely job on this Westbury looking forward to the finished deal.

Finally remembered his name, Brian Harding. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489

Ure carried no conventional amplification, just a Sholtz Rockman rack pre-amp, fed through the P.A.
    To this day he has the worst live tone of any professional guitarist I’ve seen. I don’t know what he’s using, but I’ve seen him a couple of times and it’s just dreadful. Nasal and buzzy like a wasp through a kazoo. Doesn’t detract *too* much from the music, but it’s still quite distracting. Interestingly, even through whatever it is, he used a Gibson Les Paul once and it sounded slightly less awful than his Vintage (both at the same gig).

It’s not the lack of amp, Nik Kershaw uses Fractal direct to the PA and sounded great at the same shows, in fact probably the best sound of any guitarist there including the ones with amps.

Sorry, thread hijack! :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited September 2022
    Looks good and they're solid guitars. I had a black one in 1980 and it was my first guitar and I loved it.

Neil Macdonald of Nightingale (Goodfellow) basses did a fabulous set up on it and it played and sounded great and I regret selling it on. However, I bought  a Roland G-202 guitar and unit, which was also excellent and given what they are, both could actually be with HarrySeven!!! :)

Took advantage of some of the last sprayable weather today.
    Bought some better primer, Indasa High Build... brilliant stuff and way more in the 500ml can than the 500ml I was getting previously from the auto supplier, but twice the price so it evens out =) 
    Got 3 coats of the jet black basecoat on, and on the last coat I got a bit overzealous on the headstock and have a run on front and back  :#
    So I'll leave overnight and deal with that tomorrow, then weather permitting I'll get the clear on. 

hanging in the shed, and yes, those are my greasy fingerprints  :s

Should I be expected to flatten this basecoat before the 2k clear? I'd assume so as it has a slight texture to it, but I'm not certain. 

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1738
    @Sarge - are you going to leave the front grey like that - with clear-coat ?
    AK99 said:
    @Sarge - are you going to leave the front grey like that - with clear-coat ?
    That's black, just a trick of the light. 
    gloss black everywhere but the fretboard. 
    Dear blessus - I see it now. That's on a par with that black and blue / white and gold dress thing :)

I do love a proper black Westbury mind you. Look forward to seeing the finished article!
    AK99 said:
    Dear blessus - I see it now. That's on a par with that black and blue / white and gold dress thing :)

I do love a proper black Westbury mind you. Look forward to seeing the finished article!
    haha fooled you! it is actually a gold dress! 
    don't you feel silly now! 
    Quit faffin man - gerritdun, so we can see the finished article :)