SORTED NOW: suggestions for a good but low cost 'compact pedal size' noise-gate for pedal board

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited November 2014

@monquixote - appreciate the thought, but I don't think these are made anymore.  Only found one on Ebay at £132 which seems an unrealistic price. 

@Drew_fx - the Zoom MS70CDR is a multi reverb/modulation/delay pedal. I'm after an effective but inexpensive noise-gate pedal.  

So far the Behringer NR300 looks favourite to try and not much of a risk at only £16.99.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Voxman said:

@Drew_fx - the Zoom MS70CDR is a multi reverb/modulation/delay pedal. I'm after an effective but inexpensive noise-gate pedal.

It has a very good noise gate algorithm built into it. It's a cheap pedal. Bobs your monkey.
    I've just had a listen on you tube - sounds a super multi FX pedal to add to a pedal board...but I need a separate noisegate.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17680
    tFB Trader
    Actually @Drew_fx speaks sense. 

It may seem a bit counterintuitive but ZNR is very good and you don't have to use any of the other effects. You are effectively getting a free multi fx with your noise gate!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2014
    I had a look at the manual and whilst it looks terrific and I was impressed by the video, from a versatility perspective, I think its too awkward and impractical to use live. Fine for home use and having some fun but you have to bend down to press the scroll button and cannot do this via footpedal.

With regards to free noise gate, not really. This is around £80 compared to £16.99 for the NR300. The whole point of having stomp pedals is they are quick and easy to tweak on the fly and stomp on or off. If I want something programmable I have my Vox Tonelab LE.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Every behringer pedal I've had has been noisy as shit so a 16 pound behringer noise gate sounds like a joke to me really. Is the tuner any good on the zoom? I've been considering a gate too and if it can act as a decent tuner then I might go with it.
    edited November 2014
    Behringer pedals are no noisier than Boss. I have the Boss GE7 and Behringer EQ700 and they have the same noise floor level. If anything the Behringer may even be a fraction quieter.
    I've broken two Behringer pedals, and the ones we've got at the office are junk. If you're looking for mummy and daddy to say it's okay to go buy one, you'll be waiting a long time!! How about you do so, and then do a video review of it a month after owning it? ;)
    edited November 2014
    Drew_fx;422877" said:
    I've broken two Behringer pedals, and the ones we've got at the office are junk. If you're looking for mummy and daddy to say it's okay to go buy one, you'll be waiting a long time!! How about you do so, and then do a video review of it a month after owning it? ;)
     Yes of course its my decision, and I appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions.  I understand you've had bad experiences and don't think much of the Behringer pedals, which is fine. Conversely my experience has been positive in that I've had the EQ700 and To800 for some 4-5 years now and both continue to perform admirably.  

However I was under the impression that this was a mature forum where there was mutual courtesy and respect. The 'your mummy and daddy' comment was uncalled for and completely out of line. 

Voxman said:

However I was under the impression that this was a mature forum where there was mutual courtesy and respect. The 'your mummy and daddy' comment was uncalled for and completely out of line. 

Hey mate, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I gave you a perfectly reasonable suggestion before, and you came back with sarcasm and a snide attitude with this:

the Zoom MS70CDR is a multi reverb/modulation/delay pedal. I'm after an effective but inexpensive noise-gate pedal.

So maybe check yourself first huh?
    edited November 2014
    Drew_fx said:

Voxman said:

Hey mate, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I gave you a perfectly reasonable suggestion before, and you came back with sarcasm and a snide attitude with this:

the Zoom MS70CDR is a multi reverb/modulation/delay pedal. I'm after an effective but inexpensive noise-gate pedal.

So maybe check yourself first huh?

How in goodness name you interpreted that as sarcasm and snide I have no idea - I would never be sarcastic & snyde to someone offering a suggestion..they were simply two short factual statements clarifying what I was looking for. And I also acknowledged that it was a nice pedal & that I took the time to check out your suggestion on you-tube - but it simply wasn't what I'm looking for at the moment.

Your interpretation and attitude is quite extraordinary and I am certainly not following your lead to name call you back. But your behaviour is out of order, pure & simple - whether you  recognise and acknowledge that at all is up to you.

But on a lighter note, your avatar did make me laugh and anybody brave enough to put that up must have a sense of humour and can't be all bad! 

• The Zoom is a great option. The Z noise gate works really well. Best thing I've used to defeat the horrid hum in my study.

edited November 2014

The Zoom is a great option. The Z noise gate works really well. Best thing I've used to defeat the horrid hum in my study.
      And I will check it out as I said. But its around £80 and until I'm back in work the Behinger will hopefully be a cheap solution.  
    Voxman said:

But on a lighter note, your avatar did make me laugh and anybody brave enough to put that up must have a sense of humour and can't be all bad! 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    (yes I am naked under the hoody)
    edited November 2014
    Voxman said:

Drew_fx said:
    (yes I am naked under the hoody)
      Now THAT'S a scary pic!  Definitely one for 'America's most wanted'! '

>:D<

So, re the Zoom - is the noisegate one of the adjustable pedal options in the menu or is it just 'there' and works automatically in the background?  

The problem is positioning of the Zoom in the chain -  my current pedal order is Tuner, Boss CS3 compressor/Sustainer, Behringer To800 Vintage tube Overdrive, Marshall Jackhammer JH1 (or Guvn'r2) , Marshall Regenerator, Marshall Echo-Head, Boss GE7 EQ. If I substitute the EH1 and/or Regenerator for the Zoom, the EQ will be after the noisegate (it needs to be last in the chain).  Whereas with a free standing noisegate I can put it in the best place ...the noisegate really needs to be at the end of the chain. Even if the Zoom has an EQ pedal, I need it to be separately switchable, so that wouldn't solve the problem.   

I do like the muteable tuner...my Boss TU12H doesn't have that as an option.  

This is an old pic of my pedal-board - the To800 Vintage Tube Overdrive is now after the CS3 and before the GV/JH1:

Voxman said:

So, re the Zoom - is the noisegate one of the adjustable pedal options in the menu or is it just 'there' and works automatically in the background?  

It is it's own algorithm. So you get 6 slots. You can make the first one the noise gate, and then add delays, choruses, and reverbs after it if you want. There is also a line selector algorithm, which when activated or deactivated will bypass any effects *after* it. So you could do something like this (I am assuming you want the noise-gate for your FX loop):

Noise gate
    Line selector
    Delay
    Reverb
    Chorus

Then as long as you're looking at the line selector on the screen, you can deactivate the delay+reverb+chorus as you wish, but leave the noise gate on constantly.
    edited November 2014

Interesting, thanks for that - it's clearly a clever piece of kit and I've seen that it does have an EQ too.  But I thought the noisegate needed to be at the end of the chain rather than the front - or have I got that wrong? 

I put the pedalboard in front of the amp.  If I put the Zoom in place of say the Regenerator or even both the Regenerator & EH1, how could I best position the zoom so that the noisegate is catching everything, and easily toggle between delay and modulation or have both on at the same time without having to bend down to press the menu scroll.  As I said, it sounds a brilliant all-in one pedal for home use but I'm struggling to see how I can best integrate it into my pedalboard for ease of use at a gig?  

• Drew_fx said:
    Voxman said:

It is it's own algorithm. So you get 6 slots. You can make the first one the noise gate, and then add delays, choruses, and reverbs after it if you want. There is also a line selector algorithm, which when activated or deactivated will bypass any effects *after* it. So you could do something like this (I am assuming you want the noise-gate for your FX loop):

Noise gate
    Line selector
    Delay
    Reverb
    Chorus

Then as long as you're looking at the line selector on the screen, you can deactivate the delay+reverb+chorus as you wish, but leave the noise gate on constantly.
    La di da di da...

Thanks to this post, I've just ordered one.  

And I might need to sell off my Digitech Hardwire Chorus to fund it... Damn you, Drew!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:

Interesting, thanks for that - it's clearly a clever piece of kit and I've seen that it does have an EQ too.  But I thought the noisegate needed to be at the end of the chain rather than the front - or have I got that wrong? 

I put the pedalboard in front of the amp.  If I put the Zoom in place of say the Regenerator or even both the Regenerator & EH1, how could I best position the zoom so that the noisegate is catching everything, and easily toggle between delay and modulation or have both on at the same time without having to bend down to press the menu scroll.  As I said, it sounds a brilliant all-in one pedal for home use but I'm struggling to see how I can best integrate it into my pedalboard for ease of use at a gig?  

I reckon I would still use it the same way. Put the noise-gate before the delays and reverbs so that it doesn't cut off the tails of those effects when you're not playing.

Toggling between delay and modulation might be a bit more annoying.