SORTED NOW: suggestions for a good but low cost 'compact pedal size' noise-gate for pedal board

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Drew_fx said:
    (yes I am naked under the hoody)
    Stop showing off....we're all naked under our clothes.  It's just some of us are more pleasantly naked than others.

I agree with modding both the CS-3 & GE-7 and see where you are from there.  A lot of Boss pedals are noisy and they easily are amongst the noisiest.  I'm biased because I personally hate noise gates, unless for effect, and especially on a strat you are going to lose a lot of low volume/output detail.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    Drew_fx said:
    Stop showing off....we're all naked under our clothes.  It's just some of us are more pleasantly naked than others.

I agree with modding both the CS-3 & GE-7 and see where you are from there.  A lot of Boss pedals are noisy and they easily are amongst the noisiest.  I'm biased because I personally hate noise gates, unless for effect, and especially on a strat you are going to lose a lot of low volume/output detail.
    I hear you, & Ideally I would love to get them modded but budgets are a bit limited at the moment.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    Drew_fx said:

I hear you, & Ideally I would love to get them modded but budgets are a bit limited at the moment.
    Can you solder, or know anyone who can?  I can send you a list of the parts you need...  or to put it another way, the parts that certain suppliers bag up and make 1000% profit on as their own 'unique' mods that they may have actually found readily on the web!
    Voxman said:
    Drew_fx said:

Can you solder, or know anyone who can?  I can send you a list of the parts you need...  or to put it another way, the parts that certain suppliers bag up and make 1000% profit on as their own 'unique' mods that they may have actually found readily on the web!
    That's really kind thank you very much - I can't myself but I might know a man who can!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I'll dig them out and post them this evening.  Even if you don't that route at least you've got them for future reference if you need them.
    Thanks very much RHC ;)
  • @thorpy6 has an already modded GE-7 for sale, buy that and punt your stock?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    Cheers @smudge_lad. @voxman the GE7 i have listed has been modded to high heaven, its brand new. Its a great sounding EQ and the noise floor on it is very very low. Price is £84 for Paypal gift with Special Delivery..... oh and it has a superbright blue led :)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Drew_fx said:

The look of a man who's just sat down on a beer bottle........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    A noise gate can go anywhere you want in your chain. I used to put mine near the front so it cuts off hum from the guitar, which stops it from becoming an issue before it gets amplified by the gain pedals. The amount of noise the pedals on their own add is marginal.
    edited November 2014

@thorpy6 - many thanks for the offer of your modded GE-7. But as I already have a GE-7 and a Boss CS3, if I decide to 'mod' it's probably more economical for me to send the pedals away. Pedalmods UK charge £31 for the GE-7 and £41 for the CS3 (both are Keeley supported mods) combined postage £4.70, so I can get them both done for under £80.  Once I'm back in work I think I'll treat myself.

I was reading up on the Boss NS-2 (noise suppressor) and the Boss NF-1 (noisegate). My understanding is that a noise Gate blocks the entire signal until you start playing, and shuts off everything again when you stop. Better gates do this faster, and suck less tone. Whereas a noise suppressor attempts to filter out the noise when you aren't playing, and when you are playing.   Although I mentioned the Boss units for comparison, I have noted that dedicated noise gates/suppressors recommended by you guys that are felt to be better than Boss include the MXR (gate?) and the Decimator (Suppressor?) and I might try to pick up a used one once I'm working again.    

Any views on which is better (gate or suppressor) to eliminate hum and unwanted feedback (I'm using my pedalboard in front of the amp, not in the FX loop)?  And which type is best from a tone perspective?

And to add to my confusion, where does the Electroharmonix Humdebugger fit into all this - is it just a noise suppressor, or does it do something different?  It seems to be great for cancelling/reducing Strat 60 cycle hum - would a noise gate or noise suppressor do the same thing? 

Thanks guys - sorry for so many queries on this but with so many different options its a fair old learning curve. 

Ok guys, update with thanks again for all the suggestions.

I saw an MXR Noise Clamp on Gumtree and just bought it for £37 delivered which at half the new price seemed to be a pretty fair deal.

Several good recommendations by folk here and I was impressed with several youtube comparison demos. So it seemed well worth a punt. Should receive it in next few days.