Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

RIP iPod Classic

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    I have a 160G, practically new that I don't use....

If that's an offer ... PM me a price?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    Wasn't the original design by some dude in Newcastle or is that an old wives tale? 
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    Deijavoo said:
    Wasn't the original design by some dude in Newcastle or is that an old wives tale? 
    This guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Ive
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    Leaving aside the reality that the iPod itself was bad for music (compression and poor ear pieces etc.), a lot of train commuters use them to reduce boredom on the journey and to block out the sounds of fellow passengers eating crisps. Smartphones are hard on batteries as it is without using them to play music (which they can do). I was never a fan but Apple got the axing of the iPod timing wrong this time. IMHO of course...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Rocker said:
    Leaving aside the reality that the iPod itself was bad for music (compression and poor ear pieces etc.)
    Only if you play back mp3s. It sounds fine if you use the huge capacity to store a smaller number of uncompressed AIFF/WAV files. And you can plug in better headphones…

I really hope Apple understand why many of their customers want a high-capacity portable music player and have something planned, hopefully a 256GB (or bigger) unit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Deijavoo said:
    This guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Ive
    I'm going to where he studied, except it was a polytechnic then. Sting went there too, soon they can add "internet legend, holnrew" to their alum.
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Heard whisperings they're discontinuing the Touch eventually too.

I fucking hate Apple.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    edited September 2014
    Oh :( it's the only one of their products I've ever thought offers something different to what others already offer, I'm definitely getting another as a back up, as much as it pains me to indirectly give them my custom haha
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    In case anyone wonders why they're doing this - essentially pushing all their customers into buying iPhones instead of other devices - this picture is worth a thousand words…

But a company which drops less-profitable (not un-profitable, just less) lines and puts all its eggs in one basket is asking for trouble if something big changes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sansa clip with a 128GB SD card. Excellent sound quality and extremely light with a long battery life. Quality 3rd party firmware if you don't like what it comes with. £31 plus whatever the SD card costs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726

Sansa clip with a 128GB SD card. Excellent sound quality and extremely light with a long battery life. Quality 3rd party firmware if you don't like what it comes with. £31 plus whatever the SD card costs.
    Agree.

I've got a Sansa although a 32GB card is more than enough for me at the moment.  I'll still carry this to preserve battery life on my phone.

Sansa has several improvements over my old iPod Nano.  Can play FLAC files if you want to go lossless.  Can just drag and drop files onto it from any computer.  My main music library is on my desktop PC.  If I want to rip something on another computer and put it onto an Apple device using iTunes it will wipe off all the other music on there.

Most importantly it sounds better.  The bass was really farting out on my old iPod.  That may have been because the battery was dead and it didn't have enough voltage to let whatever amp drives the headphones work properly, but given the choice of changing batteries on the iPod or getting the Sansa I chose the Sansa.  The Nano I had only had 8GB anyway so it wasn't enough, so I needed something with more storage and the Sansa was about a quarter of the price of a new iPod.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    edited September 2014
    Another +1 for the sansa.

I've got one and a 64 GB card. Cost me £40 all in and it's tiny.

To be honest, just sticking a large microsd card in any modern phone gets you about 75% of the way to an ipod anyway.
  • Which Sansa thing do you get for 128gb? This site seems to say it handles less but I may be being fick

I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I'm sure I've said good things about the sansa clip before, but not in this thread yet apparently.
    Replaced my old iAudio/Cowon G3 which was pretty good, but eventually gave in to mechanical failure, the Clip is more capable.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited September 2014
    if they did a high capacity Nano with an okayish screen and battery, I MIGHT think about buying it. 16gb is nothing though, particularly when 32gb micro SD cards can be picked up for seemingly pennies now. 
    For crying out loud, I can get a 128GB micro SD for about 67 quid. even if they just added a micro SD slot to the nano I'd buy one
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/SanDisk/SanDisk-128GB-Ultra-Android-Micro-SD-(SDXC)-Class-10-UHS-1-30MB_s?products=&gclid=CjwKEAjwkMWgBRCJ1L_wypbX0wkSJAC3Xio2qWQAhZXJaAqFxlZLPStgR_eJdM6AawNAQTHQiBLFmhoC3Tnw_wcB
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    Apple.
    Style over function.
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    allicio said:
    Apple.
    Style over function.
    Snooze.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    Jeez, all this kafuffle over a bloody walkman, Apple really has got everybody by the balls hasn't it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    It wouldn't matter if someone else made one that was at least 160GB and didn't cost two grand.

Maybe they will soon...