Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

RIP iPod Classic

What's Hot

Comments

• I do like the idea of the sansa clip but unsure how it works with larger cards than they claim it can handle. Seems a nice idea to have perhaps a couple of cards, one with modern one with classical etc, could be good
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Which Sansa thing do you get for 128gb? This site seems to say it handles less but I may be being fick

Yeah - I was wondering this too?   Will the Sansa Clip Zip actually take a 128gb card?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    A quick google suggests that people are successfully using 64GB cards.  I don't know about 128GB though.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    It does annoy the crap out of me the the iPhone and iPod (or iPad) don't take SSD or microSSD cards.  Macbook does .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Jalapeno said:
    It does annoy the crap out of me the the iPhone and iPod (or iPad) don't take SSD or microSSD cards.  Macbook does .....
    A large solid state drive would be better.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Well that's what they are already in effect. Just closed systems as usual with Apple.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I had 2 classics - one U2 "pre-classic" and one of the final 80Gb. Both were excellent at the time but I can get just enough music on my 32gb iPhone to keep me sane.

But anyone mourning the iPod Classic could always buy Neil Young's Pono player? 

No?
    Anyone?

*tumbleweed..*
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I'm interested now it appears you can boost its capacity beyond 128GB if it will take larger MicroSD cards. Assuming it plays 128kbps mp3s, of course :). (Sorry Neil ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    160gb means I can only use a bit of my collection on my ipod. I kind of hoped they would bring out an improvement but they seem to be aiming at streamers rather people who own.
  • I love my classic, it's permenantly hooked up to my car radio. I wouldn't ever get a touch or use music on my iPhone because every now and again, Apple release an OS update that means it is no longer compatible with some older devices, like my car stereo.  They tend to leave the interface/firmware alone on the classic!!

Glad I bought one a month or two back now!!
  • Which Sansa thing do you get for 128gb? This site seems to say it handles less but I may be being fick

Dunno about 128GB. 

I've got a Clip+ with a 64GB card and I put rockbox on it because I didn't like the original firmware. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Jalapeno said:
    But then they wouldn't be able to charge an extra £50 per 32GB
    My V key is broken
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Hilarious how people are saying they need more than 160gb. Off the top of my head isn't that about two weeks of music?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    capo4th said:
    Hilarious how people are saying they need more than 160gb. Off the top of my head isn't that about two weeks of music?
    Much more, depending on the file size. My current 131GB (almost entirely at 128kbps) is over 88 days of music.

The point is not to listen to it all continuously, but to be able to listen to *any* of it at any given time, without having to work out in advance what I might want to take with me. The iPod Classic is the only player I can put my whole library on.

I'm not in a hurry to replace it unless it dies, but if and when it does and Apple don't make one with at least the same capacity, I'll find another one which does rather than reduce the amount of music I put on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    capo4th said:
    It's more to do with managing a device. It's easy to just let my iPod copy all the songs in my iTunes library onto its hard disk rather than having to manually copy and delete files, which is time consuming. I currently have about 155 GB of music on my nearly full iPod Classic.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    I have about 135 gb on my new ipod. I have about 1000 downloaded albums and promos, 2000 LPs, 600 singles and perhaps 3000 CDs.
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    I don't get the need to carry around your whole music library on one device. My digital music collection wouldn't fit on 10 iPods so I suppose it's not even a choice for me but 160gb is large enough to carry a great selection and with playlists in iTunes or whatever application you use it's easy to swap and change when you want something new.
    It's not like it takes ages to do - we aren't doing tape-to-tape these days. Plus I like creating new playlists for holidays etc - I guess it's the closest thing to the art of making a mix tape (ooh get the old guy;-)

(the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    iTunes Match is great but I wish they would increase the number of songs that could be matched, currently limited to 25000 and I have over 40000 songs on my Mac. I have a 160GB iPod but rarely use it - usually just use my iPhone and listen to songs streamed from iTunes Match. As long as you have a signal you can't tell you'r not playing music straight from the device.