Have you seen how bad the drought is in Europe?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24711
edited August 2022 in Off Topic
Just looking at these news reports;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62619397

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62648912

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62707435

Parts of Spain are the driest they've been for 1,200 years.

Europe hasn't had a drought like this for 500 years.

I mean.....  they have been telling us for years that there's a climate emergency, but most people carry on with their lives regardless.  Most people don't really seem to believe it's going to affect them for some reason.

How long have we got before this becomes a reality... ?

I'm being serious for once.
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12472
    Yes, we are seriously looking at the end of the world.  The changes are being felt already globally that might well spell the end of the human race.  That is assuming nothing happens with Russia that leads to nuclear weapons going off.

There is still time and hope, but we need a few really decent, forward thinking, statesmanlike leaders to pull heads out of behinds.

There is hope, but I'm starting to despair a bit myself.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    Should be in P&E
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7222
    End of the human race maybe; the world would recover.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:
    End of the human race maybe; the world would recover.

Fair clarification.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24711
    Should be in P&E
    Why ?

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    As we know it.
    tFB Trader
    Emp_Fab said:
    Should be in P&E
    Why ?

Because the environment is both political and economic and I block P&E so I can avoid this kind of crap.
    8reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I can see this thread is going to go well...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2591
    Look at the current crop of "world leaders". Unfortunately money and power is all that matters.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28044
    Emp_Fab said:

How long have we got before this becomes a reality... ?

You trying to work out whether it's worth getting the new car?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This should probably sit in p+e.

But yes. It has been on the way for a long time and leaders, media and populous have ignored all advice since the 60s.
  • Reminds me of a book by Michel Faber called The Book of Strange New Things. 

A pastor travels to a distant planet to preach to the natives. Whilst communicating with his wife back on earth via some kind of interstellar email,  it becomes clear that things are going to shit. 
    It starts with small things like her mentioning things not in stock at the supermarket. Then things gradually get worse - natural disasters, massive corporate corruption exposed etc. More natural disasters that no longer receive recognition as resources are depleted. Societal breakdown as anarchy looms. All told through snippets of messages sent to the pastor. 

Not really anything else to add other than it’s a really good book and you should read it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24711
    Emp_Fab said:
    Should be in P&E
    Why ?

Because the environment is both political and economic and I block P&E so I can avoid this kind of crap.
    Well, it's many things, and not just political and economical.  Sorry if you find those subjects uninteresting but the demise of our planet is IMO not so unimportant as to be called 'crap'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Should be in P&E
    Why ?

Well, it's many things, and not just political and economical.  Sorry if you find those subjects uninteresting but the demise of our planet is IMO not so unimportant as to be called 'crap'.

I don't consider it crap I consider the content of the "Sky is falling in" threads that you create to be crap.

Many people come here to escape from the horrors of real life. Show people the respect to allow them to choose if they want this shoved in their faces by posting it in P&E.

I know you don't want to because OT gets more traffic but there is a reason for that.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28044
    I'd like to read the write-up of the Human Species experiment sometime.  

It seems that at some  point we (Western capitalist perspective) swapped the pursuit of  individual growth (learning. knowledge, well-being) for that of national and corporate growth (profit, primarily).

Our lives stopped being about finding the stuff we needed, and became more about buying the stuff that we thought we wanted (but turned out that we didn't).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I think people are savvy enough by now not to click on Emp's terrifying threads.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6183
    Yes, we are seriously looking at the end of the world.  The changes are being felt already globally that might well spell the end of the human race.  That is assuming nothing happens with Russia that leads to nuclear weapons going off.
    Not the end of the world but quite possibly the end of us.
    JezWynd said:
    Not the end of the world but quite possibly the end of us.
    Clarification happily accepted.

Also though the 10s of thousands of other species we take with us will be missed no doubt.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5461
    From a musician's perspective I think we should ask the seagull before we bother Michael Stipe.

On the serious side: who knows? It's certainly not looking good, and we could well be in for some dramatic shifts in lifestyle, comfort and climate if recent trends continue. Particularly if we can't shift out of the big lie that these are problems we can all solve by just doing a bit more recycling and cutting back on plastic bags. All that stuff is good, but what individuals needs to be doing is banding together to get governments to realise that actually it's a vote loser if they don't actually do stuff and put the relevent pressure on multi-nationals etc. etc.

But apparently we're all* still too obsessed with short-term lusts and desires rather than long-term enlightened self-interest that means a bit of personal discomfort now.

Or maybe it is just a natural blip we'll ride out, and it doesn't matter that politics and policy have become short-term tools for popularity rather than strategic devices for overall national and global benefit over time.

*Sweeping generalisation, which encompasses me, but a big enough percentage that it may as well be all.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    it probably is the beginning of the end for human civilisation. But don't worry, even if the sky does fall, you'll all still have to pay your mortgages and utility bills. Armageddon in no way relieves you of your civic duty to the ruling classes!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom