Have you seen how bad the drought is in Europe?

What's Hot

Comments

• Yep.  Don't be such a lefty, snowflake.. its all absolutely fine..  all ‘woke’ fake news.  

Just get out and spend, spend, spend.. make me more money! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7362
    I don’t see the point of these Chicken Licken style threads tbh .  The answer is ‘dunno ? / Yes / No / Maybe ?’

No one on here knows or can comment with any degree of certainty which means the thread will just pull in people that are genuinely worried and those that are more laissez faire and they will have it out until it gets personal and the thread gets closed
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    JezWynd said:
    Yes, we are seriously looking at the end of the world.  The changes are being felt already globally that might well spell the end of the human race.  That is assuming nothing happens with Russia that leads to nuclear weapons going off.
    Not the end of the world but quite possibly the end of us.
    Don’t do that.

Don’t give me hope.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    The thing is that the human race see themselves as the apex in the story of our planet, and believe we will continue forever.
    The Earth is 4.5 billion years old, the whole of human history is insignificant in this timescale and the planet has undergone many many changes, disasters and extinction events in the past and will endure many more in the future. The fact that we won’t survive is inevitable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10400
    When the end of the world comes will someone let me know please. I'd like to get off. Thanks. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7225
    One of the most annoying things to me is how we, as humans, learned long ago to work in harmony with nature and progress our civilisations simultaneously, but we left it all behind.

Look at how Incas made walls that would strengthen during earthquakes; how they made Machu Picchu to align with contours of mountains so the rain wouldn't wash it away; native Americans knew to burn overgrown land so it could grow back lush and be cultivated.

Now we just chase dollars and have pretty much done ourselves in in the process. We're fucked.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1600
    As a bit of a history buff, it does put into perspective all those grand civilisations who are no longer with us, for no reasons we can fathom. How did the Roman Empire just "collapse"? What about the Mayans? What ended the Mesapotamians' run? Well, it's a lot easier than it appears at first glance...

Shelly had the right idea, but hits harder seeing it from the sharp end. Ah, let's raise a glass to the end of days!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15908
    When the end of the world comes will someone let me know please. I'd like to get off. Thanks. 
    dude, you can bash one out anytime you want, you don't need to wait for the end times.

Oh wait, you meant leave the planet, my bad.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12566
    VimFuego said:
    dude, you can bash one out anytime you want, you don't need to wait for the end times.

Oh wait, you meant leave the planet, my bad.
    Imagine if space travel were as common place as masturbation.. we wouldn't be worried about this old planet!

Sadly, we are stuck here wanking while our ecosystem dies.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 755
    The answer is definitely yes unless someone buys the gretsch I've got in the classifieds,  or maybe it isn't because should I really sell it, c especially if the world is ending.... wine time....
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24730
    edited August 2022
    I don’t see the point of these Chicken Licken style threads tbh .  The answer is ‘dunno ? / Yes / No / Maybe ?’

No one on here knows or can comment with any degree of certainty which means the thread will just pull in people that are genuinely worried and those that are more laissez faire and they will have it out until it gets personal and the thread gets closed
    It will only get personal if people are that incapable of having a debate that they shouldn't really be on a forum... which is by definition, a place for debate.

I wasn't actually asking for answers to the question, it was more rhetorical, more "shit, have you seen how bad things are at the moment?"
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:

I wasn't actually asking for answers to the question, it was more rhetorical, more "shit, have you seen how bad things are at the moment?"
    Can I humbly suggest you change the title then or some folk may assume it’s yet another Emp click bait thread
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3210
    The 20th and 21st Century AD of humanity has never had it so good. Go back 150 years, no penicillin, shit dentistry, high infant mortality rate, dismal working conditions, extreme poverty etc, etc, etc.

But, we're on the cusp of another age now I think. We need another Einstein type to come along and find a way to regulate the Earth's temperature and climate, they come along every 100 years or so, so we're due one soon.  It may well be AI that becomes the next Einstein of course.

Anyway, although it's a bit hotter nowadays, our standard of living (in the west at least) is pretty darn awesome compared to what our ancestors had to cope with.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7225
    Emp_Fab said:

It will only get personal if people are that incapable of having a debate that they shouldn't really be on a forum... which is by definition, a place for debate.

To be honest if you want a good debate then you're probably better off with a non-rhetorical starter.

But yeah I've said it before on here but I can't see humans getting any futher than the year 2100.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24730
    Can I humbly suggest you change the title then or some folk may assume it’s yet another Emp click bait thread
    Better?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Emp_Fab said:
    Better?
    Nicely done Emp , much better :-)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19525
    JezWynd said:
    Yes, we are seriously looking at the end of the world.  The changes are being felt already globally that might well spell the end of the human race.  That is assuming nothing happens with Russia that leads to nuclear weapons going off.
    Not the end of the world but quite possibly the end of us.
    Don’t do that.

Don’t give me hope.
    You got futures or investments tied up with cockroaches?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19525
    edited August 2022
    As good free market opportunists, we should be talking to Pakistan about exporting their current windfall excess of cheap water, as should Australia, instead of exporting millions of tons of coal to China while suffering crippling drought as a result of global warming that they contribute to.

Not a piss take, just an observation on how fast things can get fucked up when you leave it to 'The Market' with no basic thought or planning for the needs of the majority of people, long or short term.

Bless our wonderful Western capitalist constant expansionist cloud cuckoo land...

Hello darkened room my old friend, I've come to lie in you again...  B
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12566
    Loveable virtuoso stadium rock conspiracy loon Matt Bellamy has an opinion...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...