Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which bands have gone backwards since their inception

What's Hot

Comments

• Im not a huge fan, but Ill add Paloma Faith, only in that her first LP was crazy, as was she. Really inspired My wife had her new record on at the weekend and its really bland, mediocre washy pop music.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got one: The Darkness

First album is a proper rock classic. Second is awful. Third is better but still nothing compared to the first
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Stevepage said:
    Motorhead

Massively disagree with this! The Campbell/ Dee era albums are consistently good.

• Stereophonics - bands evolve, yes, but this band started as an exciting indie trio and evolved into a dirgey load of bland, Costa coffee shop shite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDave;352617" said:
    Stevepage said:

Motorhead

Massively disagree with this! The Campbell/ Dee era albums are consistently good.
    They're probably a good candidate for starting another thread - bands that you thought had lost it, then come back into form in the latter years of their career...
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3452
    edited September 2014
    As I sit here listening to the awesome bass line of Sweet Emotion, Aerosmith come to mind as having gone downhill badly, but then again the rest of the Toys album is very hit and miss...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23695
    edited September 2014
    Funnily enough I was just thinking about Aerosmith, though not that particular album.

I can't stand their recent albums, in fact it's got to the point where I can't even bear the sight of Tyler and Perry with all those silly clothes hanging off their scrawny old frames.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10416
    Stereophonics - bands evolve, yes, but this band started as an exciting indie trio and evolved into a dirgey load of bland, Costa coffee shop shite.
    This in spades.

Started off as a great Rock n Roll band then sacked the drummer because he was too Rock n Roll.Got nice haircuts and flashy clothes but forgot how to make good music and went downhill from there.

I'm no longer a fan 
    :(
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73083
    breakstuff said:
    Stereophonics - bands evolve, yes, but this band started as an exciting indie trio and evolved into a dirgey load of bland, Costa coffee shop shite.
    This in spades.

Started off as a great Rock n Roll band then sacked the drummer because he was too Rock n Roll.Got nice haircuts and flashy clothes but forgot how to make good music and went downhill from there.

I'm no longer a fan 
    Agreed. The first four albums with Stuart Cable are all good. Although I like some of the Language Sex Violence Other album, I haven't liked anything they've done since at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Moe_Zambeek;353211" said:
    As I sit here listening to the awesome bass line of Sweet Emotion, Aerosmith come to mind as having gone downhill badly, but then again the rest of the Toys album is very hit and miss...
    Yiu could argue Aerosmih have the definitiv rollercoaster career. Great start, late 70's lull. Late 80's reboot seeing them hit the heights again and a slow decline...
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    ICBM said:
    breakstuff said:
    This in spades.

I'm no longer a fan 
    Agreed. The first four albums with Stuart Cable are all good. Although I like some of the Language Sex Violence Other album, I haven't liked anything they've done since at all.
    I'd limit it to the first 2 albums being good (but very good), I thought that J.E.E.P. was very disappointing (although a few good songs) then I lost all interest after that with the exception of the single Dakota which is cool.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    ICBM said:
    breakstuff said:
    This in spades.

I'm no longer a fan 
    I'd limit it to the first 2 albums being good (but very good), I thought that J.E.E.P. was very disappointing (although a few good songs) then I lost all interest after that with the exception of the single Dakota which is cool.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    dafuzz said:
    Reef. [snip] Oasis. [snip] Green Day. [snip]
    American Idiot is a great record. A blip, granted, but a great record. Not going to argue with the others though.
    I did actually like a few of the singles off that now you remind me - might check it out.
    Chuffola said:
    The Killers - first album is stunning, everything else is tripe.

Much the same with King of Leon.
    Killers totally agree. KoL - I agree the first album is head and shoulders over everything else they've done, but they've settled into nice groove I think - their new albums are still enjoyable. Which reminds me...

The Strokes. The first album is stripped back and punky and ace. The second album is all faux electronica for no reason at all and they've carried on with this ridiculous sound ever since.
    All practice and no theory
  • I miss Stuart Cable :(
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10571
    I really like the graffiti on the train last Stereophonics album and mechanical bull the last Kings of Leon album

Killers win the thread I think hot fuss is amazing all the rest of it is rubbish
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12460
    Pink Floyd went boring after Piper At the Gates of Dawn
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pink Floyd went boring after Piper At the Gates of Dawn
    That's my favourite Floyd album, but I tend to think of them as almost two separate bands with and without Syd Barrett. 

I have to admit that I haven't heard all fate PF's albums anyway so I can't reliably comment. 

I certainly don't think Syd Barrett got better in any sense after that album, musical or personal. Poor sod definitely went downhill after the summer of 67. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10571
    Skarloey;358182" said:
    jonnyburgo said:

Pink Floyd went boring after Piper At the Gates of Dawn

That's my favourite Floyd album, but I tend to think of them as almost two separate bands with and without Syd Barrett. 

I have to admit that I haven't heard all fate PF's albums anyway so I can't reliably comment. 

I certainly don't think Syd Barrett got better in any sense after that album, musical or personal. Poor sod definitely went downhill after the summer of 67. 
    Agreed me too but I think of pink floyd as three eras
    The Sid era
    The waters driven era (the best stuff)
    And the gilmour led era
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73083
    Danny1969 said:
    Killers win the thread I think hot fuss is amazing all the rest of it is rubbish
    I just don't get this. Hot Fuss is great, but there's really not that much difference between any of the albums, so it puzzles me why anyone thinks this one is great and the others are rubbish. It's not even my favourite.

Danny1969 said:
    I think of pink floyd as three eras 
    The Sid era
    The waters driven era (the best stuff)
    And the gilmour led era
    The best stuff for me is undoubtedly the Waters period, but he needed Gilmour. Neither of them were remotely as good without the other.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I agree with ICBM...

Sam's Town is the best Killers album. Hot Fuss is excellent until halfway and then it goes off a bit, whereas Sam's Town doesn't.

And all Floyd that doesn't have Waters and Gilmour running at 100% is shite.