Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which bands have gone backwards since their inception

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73082
    And all Floyd that doesn't have Waters and Gilmour running at 100% is shite.
    Not quite sure about that - it's arguable that Gilmour wasn't at 100% on The Final Cut (he certainly didn't like it, or really want to do much on it), and I now think that's some of Waters' greatest writing and one of Floyd's best albums. I still don't like the last two tracks, but I think Gilmour is wrong that the others were just songs that weren't good enough for the Wall - they simply didn't fit on The Wall.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Final Cut is a post Syd album I do know, and I can see why it would alienate some Floyd types, but I think it's very powerful at its very best.

I think like all good political polemic it is by definition of its time, but it's so well done that it retains its power. The track about the post-war dream particularly hits home very hard with things as they currently are.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12460
    I think the first album had a playful spark and energy to it, very much of its time of course. I'm not a massive fan really, I've got a few albums, other than a few songs I think they're a bit snoresome.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10569
    As good a guitarist as gilmour is I much prefer waters stuff. I love all 3 of his solo albums, the writing is superb. The final cut as well

Maybe I need to listen again to the killers but nothing I have heard has that impact hot fuss had. Despite it pretty much being a cheap sounding recording it's got the best writing for me
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Has Prince been mentioned yet? If not, a huge vote for him from me.

• Skarloey said:
    Moe_Zambeek;353211" said:
    As I sit here listening to the awesome bass line of Sweet Emotion, Aerosmith come to mind as having gone downhill badly, but then again the rest of the Toys album is very hit and miss...
    Yiu could argue Aerosmih have the definitiv rollercoaster career. Great start, late 70's lull. Late 80's reboot seeing them hit the heights again and a slow decline...
    I'd agree with the second point, but Toys in the Attic is generally thought to be one of the best Aerosmith albums; if you think it's patchy, maybe they're just not for you :) 
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73082
    Skarloey said:
    The Final Cut is a post Syd album I do know, and I can see why it would alienate some Floyd types, but I think it's very powerful at its very best.

I think like all good political polemic it is by definition of its time, but it's so well done that it retains its power. The track about the post-war dream particularly hits home very hard with things as they currently are.

Today as the government commits us to another war in Iraq I am more reminded of Southampton Dock.

I find The Final Cut sounds less dated today than it seemed twenty years ago, in fact...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein