The Beatles - Revolver 2022 remix box set?

What's Hot
Listed to the new Taxman mix and compared it to the 2009 stereo mix. Sounds better but not really a "wow" moment.

Is the Giles Martin remix treatment now running out of road on the older albums?

Will have a listen to the whole album but I dunno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd5WSqOJF7M

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28079
    And, how much £££ ???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • £120 credits of the realm!

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11448
    £120 credits of the realm!

Wow. That's enough to heat a house for the length of the album.

I always thought it was the best Beatles album, maybe if it ends up on sale somewhere.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve always thought this is the most over rated Beatles album. It’s far less of a move forward beyond Rubber Soul, than Rubber Soul was beyond its predecessors.  

Even though I’m a massive fan, I doubt I’ll buy this.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27856
    It's the second-best record (after Abbey Road, not Sgt P's - fight me) but compared with the other remixes it has simpler arrangements that were already mixed really bloody well.  

I'm still hugely looking forward to it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    edited October 2022
    I’ve always thought this is the most over rated Beatles album. It’s far less of a move forward beyond Rubber Soul, than Rubber Soul was beyond its predecessors.  

I'm staggered by that. This album is the very essence of Beatles inventiveness and was pioneering in changing people's ideas of what albums could be.

Each to their own but I don't see personally how it's possible to overrate or overstate its importance. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4076
    Love Revolver, and looking forward to hearing the alternative takes etc.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2438
    The alternative takes will be interesting, the remixes are shite if Taxman is anything to go by.
  • In an ideal world, I’d choose a box set of all the albums ,
      consisting of only out-takes , but in original album order.
     No remixes, however good or bad.
    Each could have alternative  sleeve covers too.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 685
    Late capitalism.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410

Great album. As it was and is and it needs nothing else.  

More money for old rope from old people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Meh to all remixes. I would never waste my money on any. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    The remix gravy train is running out of steam. The White Album one was the best for me, but in many ways it was just turning up the drums and bass (which Beatles are still alive, I wonder?)

The Tomorrow Never Knows take 1 they shared is awful. The world doesn't need to hear that. Just go back and really listen to the original track. The drum loop is absolutely mind blowing today never mind in 1966.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73141
    The Sgt. Pepper's remix was amazing - it genuinely increased my love for the album, including the track I hadn't really liked much before but do now (Lovely Rita). It was remarkable in that at first listen nothing actually seemed to have changed, you could just hear it all better. Probably the best remix/remaster I've ever heard.

The White Album one a bit less so, although there's still a lot to like. With both of them, the bonus was the extra disc with early developmental takes and demos of songs that aren't on the album. I didn't bother with Abbey Road because without buying the very expensive full box set, you only got a disc of alternate takes of the album tracks. Let It Be didn't even seem to have that option.

The Special Edition of Revolver does look like it might have some good stuff on it though, I might get that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I’ve always thought this is the most over rated Beatles album. It’s far less of a move forward beyond Rubber Soul, than Rubber Soul was beyond its predecessors.  

St Peppers is by far the most overrated. Revolver or The White album for me. Sometimes even With the Beatles. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    I’ve always thought this is the most over rated Beatles album. It’s far less of a move forward beyond Rubber Soul, than Rubber Soul was beyond its predecessors.  

St Peppers is by far the most overrated. Revolver or The White album for me. Sometimes even With the Beatles. 
    Rubber Soul and Abbey Road for me. Good job we’re all different!
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I won't buy it, but this is very good, especially when you consider the incredible process used to effectively split the instruments off the old tape (I assume four track) to enable a proper mix. 

I still think all these old Beatles tracks are best heard in mono, but I agree totally with @ICBM about Sgt Pepper. To my ears, this is the same- it's a totally new mix that is on the one hand proper stereo with a clear balance, but on the other hand retains much of the clarity and force and overall 'wow' factor the mono mixes had. 

The original stereo mixes of Beatles stuff is really dated to my ears- always was- but it's been in the public realm for so long that it will always be enough for many people. Each to their own.

Thank god for Spotify, eh? I'll give this one play through, skip through a few of the unreleased tracks and then probably not bother with it again. Job done, cash saved, rinse and repeat with Rubber Mallet next year, A Soft Night's Day the year after, and so on.  

• robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Will probably get the non-deluxe one in vinyl. Already have mono and stereo so what the hell
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6185
    Was the original release mono or stereo? I looked in Wiki but could not find an answer. I did however find out that Ringo suggested calling the album After Geography, ‘cos The Stones had recently released the Aftermath LP.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    JezWynd said:
    Was the original release mono or stereo? I looked in Wiki but could not find an answer. I did however find out that Ringo suggested calling the album After Geography, ‘cos The Stones had recently released the Aftermath LP.
    There was one of each. The mono mix of Tomorrow Never Knows is not as good imo
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom