The Beatles - Revolver 2022 remix box set?

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    edited October 2022
    Just downloaded a copy of the Revolver remix and despite my reservations it's superb. The clarity is very impressive, for example in 'I'm Only Sleeping' on the little bass run that Paul does after the chorus when the drums stop, you can really hear the room ambience reflections so clearly now, they are there on the original and 2009 mixes but not at this level of clarity.

Eleanor Rigby Take 2 with just the strings is a bit or a goose bumps moment, sounds incredible. I know there was a strings only version on Anthology but that was quite soft sounding with reverb added, this is much sharper and "in the room"

Good stuff.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7063
    Looks like they’re using the latest AI tech to strip out parts and remix.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63226914

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    edited October 2022
    I’d like to know how the new mono cd  ( ‘from the original mono master’ )

compares to the mono version  in the Japanese mono cd box set..
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    I'll give this a proper listen as it's probably my favourite of theirs. We even had Here, There and Everywhere as one of the tunes at our wedding. The AI demixing process sounds like it could be very useful on other projects.

I'm also a little sceptical as the mix on those old records is part of the performance - I have the stems for Whole Lotta Love and the panning stuff in the middle section would be impossible to recreate even with decent automation imo.

It'll be interesting to hear which Revolver versions they've used as a lot of it was previously available on the "Revolving" bootleg. (It has about 5 versions of And Your Bird Can Sing).
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    mrkb said:

Developed for military use according to Giles Martin. He's done some promotional interviews for this, they are worth listening to
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1593
    Damn it. Everytime I find a way to leave, something turns up to drag me back in. You Bastards!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10615
    The tech is interesting … machine learning has separated the drums, bass and guitar so it is actually a remix in multitrack which has never been possible until recently. 
    Some things were fine as they were though.
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    mrkb said:

This tech has made huge strides in the last few years.  There are now free sites where you can upload a stereo track and then download stems of drums, bass, vocals and other instruments (further splits are available if you pay).  I was sceptical but I gave it a try and the results were impressive.

For my covers band I typically ‘sketch out’ arrangements by downloading a MIDI file, editing as required, then I keep the drums and bass and lay down a couple of guitar parts.  The band can then use these stems to practice at home.  What is missing, of course, are the vocals (sometimes I play the melody on keys or, if I’m feeling cruel, I record my own vocal take).  Using this AI technology I can extract a vocal from the original and then tempo match it to my MIDI track (and edit as required).
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27856
    The same tech has already been used on Get Back to split out the vocals and instruments to make it mixable for the Peter Jackson doc. It's hugely impressive and I can't wait to hear Revolver. 

And +1 on Sgt Peppers being overrated. Revolver and Abbey Road are the best ones. Perhaps not as groundbreaking, but definitely better.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5011
    That's a possibly interesting buy, though I've already got a Beatles box set, so do I need yet more copies of the same album...
    With the way things are going, buying at the start of the month and only having to pay at the end could represent a cost saving...
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5011
    JezWynd said:
    Was the original release mono or stereo? I looked in Wiki but could not find an answer. I did however find out that Ringo suggested calling the album After Geography, ‘cos The Stones had recently released the Aftermath LP.

I think the "stereo" one had musicians on either left or right, rather than placed across a sound-stage.
    prowla said:
    JezWynd said:
    Was the original release mono or stereo? I looked in Wiki but could not find an answer. I did however find out that Ringo suggested calling the album After Geography, ‘cos The Stones had recently released the Aftermath LP.

I think the "stereo" one had musicians on either left or right, rather than placed across a sound-stage.
    I have mono and stereo copies. Tomorrow Never Knows is rubbish in mono, Taxman is shite in stereo. I will probably end up buying this one too, and never listen to it :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Musicwolf said:
    mrkb said:

This tech has made huge strides in the last few years.  There are now free sites where you can upload a stereo track and then download stems of drums, bass, vocals and other instruments (further splits are available if you pay).  I was sceptical but I gave it a try and the results were impressive.

For my covers band I typically ‘sketch out’ arrangements by downloading a MIDI file, editing as required, then I keep the drums and bass and lay down a couple of guitar parts.  The band can then use these stems to practice at home.  What is missing, of course, are the vocals (sometimes I play the melody on keys or, if I’m feeling cruel, I record my own vocal take).  Using this AI technology I can extract a vocal from the original and then tempo match it to my MIDI track (and edit as required).
    Yes I’ve been using Moises and it’s great for what I need.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Musicwolf said:
    mrkb said:

Yes I’ve been using Moises and it’s great for what I need.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28079
    roberty said:
    prowla said:
    JezWynd said:

I have mono and stereo copies. Tomorrow Never Knows is rubbish in mono, Taxman is shite in stereo. I will probably end up buying this one too, and never listen to it :-)
    @roberty - if it helps, you buy it, and I'll listen to it for you?

I can't bring myself to spend that much ££s for so little extra content.

Should we hear the music as it was intended when it was made, or should we let modern technology "enhance" it?  If the same technology was available when the album was originally recorded, what would they have done with those opportunities?  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    @TTony the new Beatles remixes have been a revelation imo. They bring you closer to the performers and their intentions, and expose nuances that were previously buried. The finished product is all the more brilliant for it. I'm a fan
    I won't be getting the box set. Maybe the LP tho
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28079
    roberty said:
    the new Beatles remixes have been a revelation imo. They bring you closer to the performers and their intentions, and expose nuances that were previously buried. The finished product is all the more brilliant for it. I'm a fan
    I've got some of them - and agree with you in that they've been great to listen to.  But Revolver seems to have upped the price significantly, without any corresponding increase in content.

Or perhaps I just waited and bought the other releases when they got cheaped-out someplace (I do remember buying one of them from FNAC - the French supermarket - when they had a mad-price deal on it).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    @TTony I gave the White Album a serve for that reason. It's still £40 for the album, or £100 for the box. By contrast I got a box set with every Kinks studio album in mono for £110 a few years ago