The Beatles - Revolver 2022 remix box set?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10615
    prowla said:
    JezWynd said:
    Was the original release mono or stereo? I looked in Wiki but could not find an answer. I did however find out that Ringo suggested calling the album After Geography, ‘cos The Stones had recently released the Aftermath LP.

I think the "stereo" one had musicians on either left or right, rather than placed across a sound-stage.
    The trouble was in the days of 2 track and 4 track the drums, bass, guitars  / piano would be recorded to one track in mono ... meaning the drums could be in mono spread across the master L&R or shoved to one side. You couldn't get any stereo width from the kit like a modern mix. Likewise anything else that was recorded on the "1" track 
    This approach was to maximise overdubs on separate tracks rather than create a proper stereo mix.

Years later it became more the norm to record the drums, bass, guitars  / keys panned in stereo across tracks 1 & 2 which left 3 and 4 available for vocals and solos and created a true stereo record. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    Looking forward to listening to this over the weekend. 

Those first few seconds of Tomorrow Never Knows still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. When Lennon’s voice comes in it is truly otherworldly. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1630

• robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Oh cool I'll get this on later thanks for the heads up @duotone
  • Picked up the 2CD version, will be listening later.

I've been really impressed with the remixes so far- nothing really drastically changed, it's just like coming back in to a room you know and finding that someone has cleaned and dusted and put things back just differently enough that you notice everything again.

Only when you write that down it sounds sort of creepy and invasive. Imagine the cleaning done by someone you love and trust.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1597
    Picked up the 2CD version, will be listening later.

I've been really impressed with the remixes so far- nothing really drastically changed, it's just like coming back in to a room you know and finding that someone has cleaned and dusted and put things back just differently enough that you notice everything again.

Only when you write that down it sounds sort of creepy and invasive. Imagine the cleaning done by someone you love and trust.
     Yes, it's like when you've been stalking somebody for years and they finally get their windows cleaned
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    FFS

• I think Giles should stop now. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    I think they probably will stop now. They have gotten five years out of it by now. Sgt. Peppers and the White Album were fantastic (or were they? Didn't they just turn up the bass and drums? I wonder which Beatles are still here with us!? Ha!) But I was less excited about Abbey Road and Let it Be. And I haven't even listened to Revolver.

The huge White Album CD and vinyl book thing was absolutely fantastic though. I must get it out again. 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Hugely enjoyable- I've been listening to my favourite songs off the album on Spotify. Something like "For No One" is a completely different song, with the proper stereo mix allowing you to actually hear all that's going on, and making it a different emotional experience. 

The only thing I'll say is that for me, nothing quite captures the sheer punch on Paperback Writer in Mono- Ringo kicking on the bass drum a beat before the riff starts. Compressed as hell and hitting the listener like a good one-two.