Been bitten by the overdrive bug, what in the world should I do? A rambling journey of some sorts...

What's Hot
stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 199
edited June 2023 in FX
Quick introduction: I was never too bothered about pedals, especially overdrive and distortion but over the past few years I ended up branching out my musical taste which gave way to feeling a certain need to look into overdrives to really get a gauge for different circuits and how they sound.

This was mainly to find a versatile pedal that would give me a range of sounds that I wanted (from late 60's bluesy psych rock like Quicksilver Messenger Service to early white stripes/Black Angels/Ty Segall/Murlocs). 

First overdrive pedal was a keeley oxblood, I didn't do much research but after watching a few videos demoing it alongside the KTR, Soul Food, Tumnus and Ryra etc I decided it was the one for me. It did most of what I wanted in terms of being a simple overdrive pedal with a couple of extra options to clip the signal and bost the low end alongside the usual boost/sparkle/fuzz/drive/distortion settings it offered.
After a while I decided I wanted to try out different circuits so I got a plumes, it was versatile and sounded decent but it wasn't for me in the end.

Then I went down the fuzz route and got a Hoof, park fuzz, keeley fuzz bender and a ramble twin bender, loving all of them and kept all except the park fuzz. Fuzz was definitely something I learnt to appreciate and enjoy very quickly.

I then sold off the plumes and stuck with the oxblood and fuzzes until recently when I saw a Caroline Icarus for £80 and then I saw a 2nd hand Hudson Broadcast for a few quid less than retail and then I saw a Supro drive for a good price and then I saw a Lumpy's class A overdrive and you know where this is going......so I ended up buying them all to try out. 

Long story short: they all sound amazing and I am enjoying them all.

So here I am thinking about the different circuits in these pedals and how much im starting to really enjoy the different sounds from various overdrive circuits. After doing a side by side with the Icarus and Oxblood....the Oxblood just sounded...really bad, like it sounds really really bad.

Maybe the Icarus is just the pedal for me, maybe its the best overdrive ever?

I started comparing it to the supro, broadcast, lumpy's overdrive but they all sound great in their own right.

I did a little shoot out again with the oxblood.......the oxblood is going.

A little more research into transparent overdrive led me to the Red Spiral Overdrive.

I found out it was a collaboration between the same guy who used to design and release pedals for DOD and the guy from Shoe pedals. A spiritual successor to the DOD looking glass of which one might say, is a pedal I was gunning for

But this has sent me down a new path and got me thinking about each type of circuit and which ones I want to try out and the pedals that piqued my interest. So I started looking into the following:

Hudson Sidecar 
Jam pedals Tubedreamer
4114 Mythical Overdrive
Frederic Golden Eagle
Catalinbread 55 and SF6
Bearfoot FX Honey Bee
Obscure amp in a pedal type circuits

So I just ordered a lemon drop and twin twelve clone.....

Its great having a varied choice of overdrive pedals but ultimately I've realised I would prefer to just have one or two versatile pedals that cover my needs (nearly impossible you might say). 

(By the way, does anyone know if 4114 is still making the mythical overdive?)

The problem is after having such a varied choice of what to noodle and play around with, the want outweighs the need, right?

I have no idea why I even posted this but its a lazy sunday afternoon and I quite often get caught up within my own internal existential ramblings that this whole episode of chasing tone and researching different overdrives has offered me a healthy distraction from the usual dread and self pity for the coming work week.

So if someone wants to chip in and offer some advice on what pedals I should look into or if anyone wants to share a cool obscure overdrive, an amp in the box type circuit or a cheap klone that ticks all the boxes, please do share.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    One of us, one of us, one of us....  (welcome aboard... pedals are fun. I have too many... but they're fun!) 

Don't overthink Klones. They're all very similar and their magic is overstated. That said if you want recommendations from outside the typical youtube-demo mainstream...

- Spaceman Polaris
    - Way Huge Green Rhino
    - Blackstone Mosfet
    - DOD Looking Glass
    - Anarchy Audio Gold Class

Also you can't go wrong with @ThorpyFX - especially the Warthog. And everyone should try a Strymon Deco which isn't really an OD but man it's a great pedal. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    I just keep coming back to the peacekeeper, which is sounding sublime into the boneyard fuzz on 2 diode mode…. <3
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, the Peacekeeper - not so much an overdrive as a toolkit. The Presence is a wonderful thickener control. For me, Klones work wonderfully in some situations (depending on guitar, amp, room, what I'm trying to do, etc), but a lot of the time they just seem muffled, while the Peacekeeper has something for every occasion. 

When I get money I'll get another of his overdrives (and maybe a Fredric Blue Monarch to put some Bluesbreaker-ness on the board). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You can cover an enormous amount of range with just a Peacekeeper and a Warthog. They stack brilliantly too. If I could only have two drive pedals, it'd be these two.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Wow you really got the bug. Welcome lol

Tom Cram is a legend. He posts quite regularly in the Digitech/DOD Fans Facebook group and genuinely loves pedals and guitar. The Carcosa is on my board (beating maybe 30 or 40 other fuzzes), I want to try one of his new designs

I would say if you have an academic interest in classic circuits you could get into doing DIY clones. It's not cheap and it's time intensive but if you want one of everything it can be a good way to go about it. Fuzz circuits especially can have very few components and sound amazing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited October 2022
    DIY clones is a good shout if you're handy with a soldering iron. Much more affordable way of trying out some often overpriced boutique pedals. The only thing is resale will be terrible but I suppose it's a good way to stop the temptation of the endless pedal flipping cycle. Fuzzdogs kits are great.

For something different, how about the Catalinbread Katzenkonig? I've wanted to try one for a while, the demos sound great. It's based off a tonebender into a Rat I believe so they're pretty noisy but it sounds really cool. I've also been interested in the Catalinbread SFT with the stoner mode, seems like a really versatile pedal and a nice break from MIAB style drive.
  • Crazed_FandangoCrazed_Fandango Frets: 64
    edited October 2022
    If you can find one, a Mojo Hand FX Zephyr fuzz.  It's more of a bright, fuzzy overdrive.  I've no idea why they stopped making that one.

Amptweaker Tight Fuzz Pro is also good.  I used one as my only drive for ages; it covers so much ground.

DOD Looking Glass was popular when it came out, but hardly ever gets a mention these days.  I have their Carcosa and it's very good.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
    TTBZ said:
    DIY clones is a good shout if you're handy with a soldering iron. Much more affordable way of trying out some often overpriced boutique pedals. The only thing is resale will be terrible but I suppose it's a good way to stop the temptation of the endless pedal flipping cycle.
    Exactly, yes. The sticker price is lower on a DIY clone but on top of this you have:
    • Tools/time investment
    • Un-flippability of DIY builds (but this can be a benefit in disguise)
     I've been going back to the kits I built when I first started and tarting them up, inside and out. Once they're 'done' there's nothing to stop you going back and doing them again when your skills improve. I could probably sell them now if I wanted to

Boutique fuzzes are often beautifully made but it does get expensive quickly unless you're careful with your buying and selling. This is another time investment!

TTBZ said:
    Fuzzdogs kits are great.
    Fuzz Dog is the best honestly
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    Oooh, Icarus user! you are like the only person i know that have one! Love it.
  • MarchMarch Frets: 287
    I have the two versions of the Revival Drive Compact (normal and Hot versions). Between them they cover so much ground they have more of less usurped everything else on my board. 
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 199
    edited October 2022
    TTBZ said:
    DIY clones is a good shout if you're handy with a soldering iron. Much more affordable way of trying out some often overpriced boutique pedals. The only thing is resale will be terrible but I suppose it's a good way to stop the temptation of the endless pedal flipping cycle. Fuzzdogs kits are great.

For something different, how about the Catalinbread Katzenkonig? I've wanted to try one for a while, the demos sound great. It's based off a tonebender into a Rat I believe so they're pretty noisy but it sounds really cool. I've also been interested in the Catalinbread SFT with the stoner mode, seems like a really versatile pedal and a nice break from MIAB style drive.
    What is MIAB?  

I find even buying a prebuilt kit from fuzzdog is still very economically viable when looking to try out clones of different 

Until recently I didn't even think about looking into Catalinbread pedals. The Forumla series sound great. Checking out the Katzenkonig and  SFT now.

One of us, one of us, one of us....  (welcome aboard... pedals are fun. I have too many... but they're fun!) 

Don't overthink Klones. They're all very similar and their magic is overstated. That said if you want recommendations from outside the typical youtube-demo mainstream...

- Spaceman Polaris
    - Way Huge Green Rhino
    - Blackstone Mosfet
    - DOD Looking Glass
    - Anarchy Audio Gold Class

Also you can't go wrong with @ThorpyFX - especially the Warthog. And everyone should try a Strymon Deco which isn't really an OD but man it's a great pedal. 
    Too many indeed haha. The blackstone looks pretty interesting, quite a unique take with those trimpot style pots on the top of the chassis. Looking glass is one i keep circling back to but im also seeking out shoe pedals, alas they are hard to find this side of the pond.

roberty said:
    Wow you really got the bug. Welcome lol

Tom Cram is a legend. He posts quite regularly in the Digitech/DOD Fans Facebook group and genuinely loves pedals and guitar. The Carcosa is on my board (beating maybe 30 or 40 other fuzzes), I want to try one of his new designs

I would say if you have an academic interest in classic circuits you could get into doing DIY clones. It's not cheap and it's time intensive but if you want one of everything it can be a good way to go about it. Fuzz circuits especially can have very few components and sound amazing
    I have a soldering iron laying around, but my only foray into DIY electronics was a bad attempt at a passive attenuator, so really...technically not electronics seeing as it was passive. The soldering joints are shocking.

Good shout on the carcosa, another pedal thats crossed my path a couple of times.

If you can find one, a Mojo Hand FX Zephyr fuzz.  It's more of a bright, fuzzy overdrive.  I've no idea why they stopped making that one.

Amptweaker Tight Fuzz Pro is also good.  I used one as my only drive for ages; it covers so much ground.

DOD Looking Glass was popular when it came out, but hardly ever gets a mention these days.  I have their Carcosa and it's very good.
    Holy mother of fuzz....Amptweaker TightFuzz Pro looks and sounds icredible. Did the Carcosa replace it though? haha.

roberty said:
    TTBZ said:
    DIY clones is a good shout if you're handy with a soldering iron. Much more affordable way of trying out some often overpriced boutique pedals. The only thing is resale will be terrible but I suppose it's a good way to stop the temptation of the endless pedal flipping cycle.
    Exactly, yes. The sticker price is lower on a DIY clone but on top of this you have:
    • Tools/time investment
    • Un-flippability of DIY builds (but this can be a benefit in disguise)
     I've been going back to the kits I built when I first started and tarting them up, inside and out. Once they're 'done' there's nothing to stop you going back and doing them again when your skills improve. I could probably sell them now if I wanted to

Boutique fuzzes are often beautifully made but it does get expensive quickly unless you're careful with your buying and selling. This is another time investment!

TTBZ said:
    Fuzzdogs kits are great.
    Fuzz Dog is the best honestly

Looking inside the Lumpy's class A overdrive to see a piece of stripboard with a handful of vintage looking components hand soldered etc, makes me think if I could add something to it to mod it one day. It is a tad noisy and there's a slight hum when its upside down haha.
    @stylesforfree MIAM = Marshall (sound) In A Box

eg

• I have a pedal that I've not anyone else mentioned on here.. an Electronic Audio Experiments Longsword. I haven't tried a vast amount of other drive pedals, but it totally gives me what I need and been looking for. Massively versatile eq settings, especially the mids, 3 clipping modes (mosfet, silicon and no clipping/op amp), goes from extreme metal/doom, to a clean boost, and a lot in between. Also has a boost switch which even at its lowest levels tightens things up and gives a more modern sound. Sounds great in front of my Orange Rocker 15, or into a HX Stomp. 

• I'd recommend trying some cheap, non boutique stuff. Some of it is great and may get you what you want. Or a flavour for a song.

Mxr dist+ is a goodun
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 364
    edited October 2022

I think that's basically a sam ash fuzzz boxx, there are a good few other clones of it knocking about.

Also as always the answer to any dirt question is a proco rat.
  • Bog Standard Boss Blues Driver or a JPTR FX Tesla Overdrive
    I'd recommend trying some cheap, non boutique stuff. Some of it is great and may get you what you want. Or a flavour for a song.
    Good point, a cheap way to audition circuits is to get a pile of cheap knock offs. Lots of repro's of classic circuits
  • If you can find one, a Mojo Hand FX Zephyr fuzz.  It's more of a bright, fuzzy overdrive.  I've no idea why they stopped making that one.

I think that's basically a sam ash fuzzz boxx, there are a good few other clones of it knocking about.

Also as always the answer to any dirt question is a proco rat.
    It is, but at the time I compared the Astro Tone and the BSM versions, this one was a winner.

I quite like Rats, but they don't clean up....which is a deal breaker.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    +1 to the MXR Dist+. It ain't subtle and it ain't particularly flexible but it's a great sound. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

• If you can find one, a Mojo Hand FX Zephyr fuzz.  It's more of a bright, fuzzy overdrive.  I've no idea why they stopped making that one.

Holy mother of fuzz....Amptweaker TightFuzz Pro looks and sounds icredible. Did the Carcosa replace it though? haha

Believe it or not, I swapped it out for a Boss BD-2 with a phat mod.  I liked it so much I bought another for my other board and this has been my main drive for 5 years.  I run another pedal after this for solo boost, which is either a fuzz or distortion.

The Amptweaker is great, especially if you use the fx loops it has.  I just wish it had separate EQ for the boost side (but you can always put an EQ in its loop).