Been bitten by the overdrive bug, what in the world should I do? A rambling journey of some sorts...

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    +1 to the MXR Dist+. It ain't subtle and it ain't particularly flexible but it's a great sound. 
    I've never actually tried this circuit, despite the DOD 250 being my favourite OD. I might get an old one at some point
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    roberty said:
    +1 to the MXR Dist+. It ain't subtle and it ain't particularly flexible but it's a great sound. 
    I've never actually tried this circuit, despite the DOD 250 being my favourite OD. I might get an old one at some point
    Yeah it's great. I got my battered old one in Japan a few years back (Tokyo, I think, but maybe Fukuoka - I went to ALL the guitar shops...). It's already modded for a PSU but I want to add an LED as well

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • roberty said:
    I'd recommend trying some cheap, non boutique stuff. Some of it is great and may get you what you want. Or a flavour for a song.
    Good point, a cheap way to audition circuits is to get a pile of cheap knock offs. Lots of repro's of classic circuits

Or original circuits, like the ds1, sd1, sd2, ds2, bd2, od3, dist+...lots of stuff to be had more affordably that ticks a lot of boxes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    Boss SD1 or Thorpy Gunshot, or any Thorpy overdrive.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    Oh and welcome to the search for that sound.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • So, I acquired the lemmo drop and twin twelve from. Fuzzdog. Incredible guy btw and superbly built pedals. 

Once I acquire a microphone I'll record some sounds from both. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3715
    A Timmy or similar would be a good shout for vintage sounds..
    So, I acquired the lemmo drop and twin twelve from. Fuzzdog. Incredible guy btw and superbly built pedals. 

Fuzz Dog is legendary 
  • roberty said:
    So, I acquired the lemmo drop and twin twelve from. Fuzzdog. Incredible guy btw and superbly built pedals. 

Fuzz Dog is legendary 
    Yeah, the lemmo drop and Silvertone pedals that arrived recently are incredible.

• NickBNickB Frets: 280
    Barber Gain Changer or if you can find one Barber 1/2 Gainer…thank me later. I have just bought the Jackson Audio Broken Arrow. Sounds good so far and I like it’s gain ramping feature a lot. 
  • NickBNickB Frets: 280
    Scratch that. The Broken Arrow is going back. When engaging the boost with the overdrive on it farts out. Faulty unit I suspect... Frustrating as I really liked the concept.
  • marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 89
    edited November 2022
    Calling @4114Effects .
    As far as I know, Dan is still around.. understand he is busy with family and work time.
    but he is still building his famous 'flux capacitor delay'. Top guy to deal with, had a few pedals from him. He even fixed my daughter's beats pill  speaker many moons ago. 
  • Just acquired a bearfoot FX honey beest and my word, this might just be the camel nailed in the straw coffin....or something.

Seriously incredible over drive, it does all kinds of crunchy goodness. Its like putting earplugs in and munching down a big bowl of cornflakes.

I still want the silver bee though. I might build one.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6834
    How about a Nordland ODR-C? I have a spare...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7768
    BD-2 ? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    BD-2 ? 
    I am looking at blues drivers and the alternatives, the fredric effects blue monarch is on my radar right now.

merlin said:
    How about a Nordland ODR-C? I have a spare...
    I'll check it out, not something I know much about though or given any thought.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    For proper oddball stuff have a look at Rainger FX.

TC Electronic do a very reasonable line of overdrive pedals "in the style of". Handy to try stuff out.

• stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 199
    edited February 2023
    So a little update on my overdrive journey. I ended selling the Supro Overdrive as I felt there was a bit too much overlap with the Bearfoot Honey Beest and the Lumpy's Class A Overdrive. And after A/Bing it with the Hudson Broadcast, I felt that the Hudson narrowly came out on top for my tonal preferences.

I acquired a DOD looking glass and a Fairfield Barbershop just before Christmas, the looking glass had a hiss/white noise issue which bothered me and the Barbershop just didn't have enough gain on tap and sounded a bit flat. 

I think the last few overdrives/circuits I want to try are a timmy, blues breaker, TS/808, a DOD 250 style pedal and maybe a dual overdrive of some kind.

I think im in love with the sag though, I love that lo-fi crunchy kinda dirty transient breakup.

And in my usual obsessive, OCD kinda way I have a current shortlist:
    Hudson Sidecar
    Benson Preamp
    MXR Distortion+
    Ryra 808
    Jam Pedals Tubedreamer 
    JHS Morning Glory
    MXR Custom Shop Timmy
    Lovepedal Valve Reamer

If anyone has used any of the above or anything similar and could weigh in then please do.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3715
    edited February 2023
    So a little update on my overdrive journey. I ended selling the Supro Overdrive as I felt there was a bit too much overlap with the Bearfoot Honey Beest and the Lumpy's Class A Overdrive. And after A/Bing it with the Hudson Broadcast, I felt that the Hudson narrowly came out on top for my tonal preferences.

I acquired a DOD looking glass and a Fairfield Barbershop just before Christmas, the looking glass had a hiss/white noise issue which bothered me and the Barbershop just didn't have enough gain on tap and sounded a bit flat. 

I think the last few overdrives/circuits I want to try are a timmy, blues breaker, TS/808, a DOD 250 style pedal and maybe a dual overdrive of some kind.

And in my usual obsessive, OCD kinda way I have a current shortlist:
    Hudson Sidecar
    Benson Preamp
    MXR Distortion+
    Ryra 808
    Jam Pedals Tubedreamer 
    JHS Morning Glory
    MXR Custom Shop Timmy
    Lovepedal Valve Reamer

If anyone has used any of the above or anything similar and could weigh in then please do.

I've got a Valve Reamer. Essentially, a high-gain TS with extended top end. Allegedly it has a bit of SD-9 DNA. I like it, I have to say. 

Glad you're enjoying the Hudson Broadcast @stylesforfree. It's actually my favourite fuzz but it works just as well as an overdrive. I think it's quite unique in the world of pedals