I've started liking old music

What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5216

A very modern* take on old music

*by modern I mean a 2005 band sounding like a 1970 band
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29208
    1988 today. Pretty sure that's my limit, but Nothing's Shocking is rather good. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23762
    Sporky said:
    1988 today. Pretty sure that's my limit, but Nothing's Shocking is rather good. 
    That's like listening to Baroque music, by your standards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Indeed. I'll have to change my name to fporky. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1593
    I applaud your openness to new experience. Good new music exists, even if I doubt my ability to find it.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5040
    The demise of CD, my main music medium/source of new music, is one of the reasons it is so hard to get to hear any new music. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    The demise of CD, my main music medium/source of new music, is one of the reasons it is so hard to get to hear any new music. 
    Do you have Spotify, or Apple Music, or Amazon Music?  It's a great way of discovering new music.
    Amazon lists over 80,000 CDs. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5664
    Sporky said:

I honestly can't fathom people who don't listen to music since 19xx. Every day new music appears. Why chew the same old gum over and over? 
    Because most of the new stuff is so very, very bad.

(And because life is too short to waste vast slabs of it on dredging through endless buckets of dross to find an occasional hidden gem.)
    PS: "new" = after 1980.
    Most of the old stuff was very, very bad too! 
    Sporky said:
    Oh yes. Absolutely! That's the point really. If something from Mozart's day or Louis Armstrong's day or Pete Townsend's day has survived this long, chances are it's worth a listen. The thousands and thousands of other things from those three times that are now forgotten are, for the most part, forgettable.
  • How about some Van Der Graaf Generator from 1975?

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 364
    edited November 2022
    GoFish said:
    I applaud your openness to new experience. Good new music exists, even if I doubt my ability to find it.
    It's a bit hit & miss, but I've generally found some good new stuff here:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/best/albums/

Metacritic can also turn up some good results.

Off the top of my head, the new Just Mustard album is sonically interesting.
    Tannin said:
    Sporky said:
    Oh yes. Absolutely! That's the point really. If something from Mozart's day or Louis Armstrong's day or Pete Townsend's day has survived this long, chances are it's worth a listen. The thousands and thousands of other things from those three times that are now forgotten are, for the most part, forgettable.
    I'm probably repeating myself, but the good old stuff is rubbish too because I've heard it over and over and over and I'm bored of it. 

Came to my senses and am on Sundrowned now. Only a year or so old. 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28079
    Rocker said:
    Ray-Dee-O.

If you want to be with the cool kids, use one of the apps that gives you online access to radio stations worldwide (eg Radio Garden).

I get lost for hours picking on random dots (ie a broadcasting source) on the virtual globe and listening to stuff.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1593
    edited November 2022
    I still occasionally listen to new music - It's just not recently released. Library music, out-of-print vinyl, old acetates. I have a soft spot for what I call "solved genera": first and then second wave surf instrumentals, doo wop, girl groups, hot jazz, Brazillian psych, Mexican psych,  pre-blaxploitation soul sountracks, Hi Life, Calypso, Slack Key, Gamelan  and on and on... or is it just kids playing their grandparents' guitars that should interest us?

Edit: I've added an edit to say that I sounded a bit confrontational there^^^^ and that's not my intention. I'm open to new music and suggestions and will seek out all the stuff  from this thread - if only to say it was ok, I guess ;)

Now, back to grunting.

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5040
    TTony said:
    Rocker said:
    Ray-Dee-O.

If you want to be with the cool kids, use one of the apps that gives you online access to radio stations worldwide (eg Radio Garden).

I get lost for hours picking on random dots (ie a broadcasting source) on the virtual globe and listening to stuff.  
    Good God man, life is too short to waste listening to a radio, especially an online radio station.  Bring back CDs if new acts want to get better known.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    TTony said:
    Rocker said:
    Ray-Dee-O.

Good God man, life is too short to waste listening to a radio, especially an online radio station.  Bring back CDs if new acts want to get better known.
    And I'll go back to my earlier post.  Try Spotify.
    Rocker said:

Bring back CDs if new acts want to get better known.
    CDs haven't gone away. Amazon lists over 80,000 of them. But new acts get more exposure through Spotify et al.

If you want to hear new music it's easy. If you're going to dismiss every option for hearing new music then that's a deliberate decision on your part.