Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Old Grey Whistle Test

What's Hot
stufisherstufisher Frets: 889
Haven't checked so apologies if this has been covered already.

Spotted this earlier when looking for something else ... just wondered what tFB would regard as the best (most entertaining/favourite/unusual/  10 performances on TOGWT
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14822
    Best is subjective.

I have fond memories of Cheap Sunglases by ZZ Top and The Police appearance during which Sting had to wear huge sunglasses because he had just sprayed himself in the eyes with hair fixative.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a few DVDs gleaned from TOGWT that I'm planning on revisiting over Christmas. 

I love that clip of Patti Smith performing Horses. Sadly, I'm pretty sure that Roxy Music and Ladytron is mimed to the album track. 

What I'd add, from memory, is Japan doing Ghosts (which also may have been mimed) and Little Feat doing Rock'n'Roll Doctor, which deffo was not.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5011
    Heart's performance was one where I went and bought the album next day.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4180
    No John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I rarely saw it. I remember being allowed to stay up late to watch ZZ Top on there, seems to have been I Thank You and Cheap Sunglasses. 
    I have a distinct memory of Whole Wide World by Wreckless Eric as one of those black and white videos. That song is from 1977 so gawd knows how I came to see that. 
    Of clips I’ve seen later The Specials, Blondie, New York Dolls,Talking Heads come to mind. And Steel Pulse doing Klu Klux Klan which is still slightly terrifying. 
    There were some whole episodes on YouTube that I was watching during lockdown but they were surprisingly dull. Stilted interviews and obscure prog bands. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5216
    the correct answer is Skynyrd.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    edited November 2022
    There is an Old Grey Whistle Test "special" from 1977 featuring a full live set by Emmylou Harris and her Hot Band which is arguably one of her best performances. Filmed around the time of the Luxury Liner album it has IMO the definitive band line-up and her voice is at its strongest during this period. The performances of Pancho & Lefty and Tulsa Queen are essentially perfect.

There was a decent, vaguely DVD-ish quality, copy on Youtube at one time but I think it has been taken down and there is only a very subpar video of the performance available at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1006
    This sticks in my mind "nils " from 81 ...

and

• Has to be this, a performance in every sense of the word - 
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    HippoPete said:
    Has to be this, a performance in every sense of the word - 
    YES!!!!!! I came to say this! Utterly brilliant, the band are having such fun. Cleminson and Glen ham things up beautifully and Alex is supreme as always.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5011
    Philtre said:
    No John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett?

I did go and see them shortly after their appearance on the OGWT; I remember Otway jumping off a speaker and landing on his head.
  • I recall this with fondness ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3137
    National Health with a drunk John Greaves dropping trays of cutlery on the floor!

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ... and this poignant one, given today's sad, sad news

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "American Girl" was a good one.
  • I don't remember this because I was only 5 at the time, but it's a beautfuly simple but effective performance. It also one of those tracks that just 'sounds like the 1970s' (in a good way) to my ear.

I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14855
    tFB Trader
    I recall OGWT from the 70's - At the time I was kind of finding out about other bands that were not Radio 1 chart bands of the day - ie Slade, T-Rex, Queen etc - I had no older sibling to take me there and dad was into jazz/big band, jump jive etc so no influence from there - Maybe I did not pick up to much in the actual day, but later you look at bands like Little Feat and realise you missed out on them at the time, but discover them later 

Great many acts and as/when I have a nostalgia trip I enjoy many clips - maybe at the time Gary Moore and Back on the Streets was a big influence and I think did Gary not snap a low E on the guitar during that clip - - Need to look at it again to confirm this