Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Old Grey Whistle Test

What's Hot

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2438
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 685
    edited November 2022

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's more Whistle Test extant than the BBC would like us to think - someone uploaded a lot of complete episodes (including the pre-show count-down clock) a couple of years ago. Mostly from the early seventies, so it featured a huge quantity of now-forgotten solo albums from the likes of John Entwistle and Chris Squire. And other people who aren't bass players. But the BBC only broadcast a couple of hours'-worth of clips. Either a rights thing or an incredibly-lazy-researcher thing.
    We'll have to wait for Guy Garvey's team to dig it all up.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14855
    tFB Trader
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-k6ZJyfWsU

This was a clip I always enjoyed - Probably the first time I was aware of Freddie as well and still my favourite 'King' 

First 5 mins with the boggie shuffle is my fav
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-k6ZJyfWsU

This was a clip I always enjoyed - Probably the first time I was aware of Freddie as well and still my favourite 'King' 

First 5 mins with the boggie shuffle is my fav
    That’s fantastic. That first shirt collar deserves some kind of award but Freddie’s playing (that vibrato) and singing are great. 
    That a Quad Reverb? I might be making that up? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 364
    edited November 2022
    I know the tune but never seen their faces before  3
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    I love many of the OGWT performances (and have the 3 DVDs - well 4, since the first volume is 2 DVDs) but there's no getting away from the fact that some of the earlier performances look very much like they're being mimed, which is perhaps understandable, but seems a shame.

I'm pretty sure The Wailers' "Stir It Up" is, watch Peter Tosh, what he's playing doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to the sound coming out, which is very similar to the recording on Catch A Fire. Maybe the vocals are live.

My favourite is probably Little Feat doing "Rock 'n' Roll Doctor". I wouldn't have seen it at the time (was a bit too young) but I think it's just great.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11448
    Early OGWT was mimed, certainly the backing tracks.

Wishbone Ash doing Vas Dis is note-for-note what's on the album except for the vocal. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6253
    I remember seeing Pat Travers on the show back around 1977 perfoming Makin' Magic. He and his band Nicko McBrain and Peter Mars Cowling were just incredible, just blew me away. I went out next day and ordered a copy of his Putting It Straight album which is a masterpiece of blues-rock guitar playing and as tight as feck.
    I've searched t'internet for years for that OGWT clip but have never found it.  :/
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • @Hurling_Fruitmig ; Michael Chapman was great. I remember that very well, though not as well as I thought as I forgot how good the bass sounded. You can actually hear if for one thing! I have the record this is on, but I think this version is better.

Something else I think I remember from OGWT (post Bob Harris) was Green on Red, especially Sea of Cortez, have loved them ever since.

I remember Dr Feelgood seemed to be on a lot>

I had no idea anyone ever mimed on that programme.
  • markv said:
    I love many of the OGWT performances (and have the 3 DVDs - well 4, since the first volume is 2 DVDs) but there's no getting away from the fact that some of the earlier performances look very much like they're being mimed, which is perhaps understandable, but seems a shame.

I'm pretty sure The Wailers' "Stir It Up" is, watch Peter Tosh, what he's playing doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to the sound coming out, which is very similar to the recording on Catch A Fire. Maybe the vocals are live.

My favourite is probably Little Feat doing "Rock 'n' Roll Doctor". I wouldn't have seen it at the time (was a bit too young) but I think it's just great.
    I’d have to check in the case of Stir It Up but Peter probably didn’t play what was on the record (would have been a session musician), he seems to be credited as ‘lead guitarist’ at times but he was the other singer songwriter in the band and I don’t think he ever took a solo. On his solo recordings there is some superb soloing, mostly by Al Anderson who also played with The Wailers. The story is that Bob wanted Paul Kossoff to join The Wailers live but he was too unwell and recommended Al. 

Yes, Wikipedia says live vocals on OGWT, it was session muso Wayne Perkins who played on the recording. 

There are certainly many OGWT performances with additional instruments that aren’t in the studio or obvious overdubs. Perhaps none of that was apparent on black and white telly in 1975. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • And I've just stumbled across this - Adam and the Ants doing Ants Invasion and Killer in the Home from the Kings of the Wild Frontier album. With a Youngish Annie Nightingale intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyzNWovliXk
    Was going to post this, one my fave OGWT clips.

• westwest Frets: 1006
    Just remembered some of john martyn performances ....

• westwest Frets: 1006
    sorry for the double link ...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16082
    Focus on this show tore me a new one and have been a fan ever since and have delved down the JA and TVL rabbit hole
    tae be or not tae be
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 949
    This is when I first heard UFO 
    https://youtu.be/NQm8rTb9tZ
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14855
    tFB Trader
    Need to see if I can find it - was a 'naff' cartoon style video about 'basket ball Joe' - who sang it  
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 364
    edited November 2022
    And I've just stumbled across this - Adam and the Ants doing Ants Invasion and Killer in the Home from the Kings of the Wild Frontier album. With a Youngish Annie Nightingale intro.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyzNWovliXk
    It looks like the lead guitarist really doesn't want to be wearing that blouse 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3091
    edited November 2022
    I secretly thought this was rather good, back in the day.   Even on the tele, you get a sense of how loud it was….

https://youtu.be/t1SwRK2ScNk