Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So are we thinking Oasis are getting back together then?

What's Hot

Comments

• rze99 said:
    They would still be a massive pull so they should do charity gigs for Manchester food banks or Ukraine 
    Noel would need a satnav to find Manchester, and is a massive Tory. Liam already did. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BilkoBilko Frets: 26
    edited January 2023
    Can't see it ever happening. I'd guess, so far as NG is concerned, keeping LG out of his life is a permanent state of affairs. Can't say I blame him. LG is an immense throbber.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2450

Definitely Maybe and What’s The Story… were moments in time, moments which have been and gone.
    Agreed. Back then, they were a group of young lads who had swagger about them, ready to take on the world. Hearing them then made you feel ace and as though you could take on the world too. So although these albums played a large part of defining an era (listening to them now takes me back to that time) its 2023 and life's not like the 90s anymore, and nor are Oasis. It'll be interesting to see them reform but it won't be the same if they do.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    What would actually make an Oasis reformation really interesting is if for the last decade Noel has written an album's worth of tunes that he rejected as "too Oasis-y".  His solo stuff has a very different style.

I know we wouldn't get an album of WTSMG level songs, but we could easily get something better than the last two proper Oasis albums (all of their solo stuff is,, really).

If Noel and Liam both want to do that stuff again, then there might be more to it than a few eye-wateringly expensive opportunities for nostalgia.

Which Oasis would join them though?  Oasis Mk1?  Could they get Bonehead, Guigsy and Alan White up there? (I think we all know McCarroll won't, wayyy too much bad blood) or do they Get Gem and Andy Bell up?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...

• Which Oasis would join them though?  Oasis Mk1?  Could they get Bonehead, Guigsy and Alan White up there? (I think we all know McCarroll won't, wayyy too much bad blood) or do they Get Gem and Andy Bell up?
    I think the bad blood is more Noel than Tony.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    Andy Bell has been quite critical of Noel too. Alan White can't play any more can he? I reckon a mk1.5 with some solo band members to fill out the lineup. Gem was in Beady Eye and is in Noel's solo band so he's a shoe in.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2394
    If it happens I reckon the likely outcomes are:
    (1) Forgettable album;
    (2) Tour for which all the tickets are immediately hoovered up by the likes of TicketBastard;
    (3) Massive backstage punch-up half way through said tour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112

Which Oasis would join them though?  Oasis Mk1?  Could they get Bonehead, Guigsy and Alan White up there? (I think we all know McCarroll won't, wayyy too much bad blood) or do they Get Gem and Andy Bell up?
    All Noel's favourite people from the last version of Oasis are in his High Flying Birds so I would imagine it would be the Chris Sharrock, Gem, and the piano player joining them. Andy Bell and Noel didn't seem to get on so well, so I'd imagine Russ Pritchard would play bass.

Can only see them doing it if Noel needs or wants the money. With a divorce you would think he would, but being the control freak he is, I'm sure he had that all tied up just in case.

Keefy said:
    If it happens I reckon the likely outcomes are:
    (1) Forgettable album;
    (2) Tour for which all the tickets are immediately hoovered up by the likes of TicketBastard;
    (3) Massive backstage punch-up half way through said tour.
    1.  They could "do a Suede"
    2.  Oh definitely.
    3.  Has to be on stage, during the first gig, or I refuse to believe its actually them...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited January 2023
    Bilko said:
    Can't see it ever happening. I'd guess, so far as NG is concerned, keeping LG out of his life is a permanent state of affairs. Can't say I blame him. LG is an immense throbber.

I used to think it was Liam that was the immature, trouble causer, totally full of himself, but after watching the documentary/movie (can't remember what it's called) I kind of changed my mind. IMO Noel came across as pretty jealous and petty.

I suppose they were as bad as eachother, but it did seem like Liam just wanted to keep on rockin' and Noel got all "muso" and started hanging about with people that they both used to mock.
    Bilko said:

I used to think it was Liam that was the immature, trouble causer, totally full of himself, but after watching the documentary/movie (can't remember what it's called) I kind of changed my mind. IMO Noel came across as pretty jealous and petty.

I suppose they were as bad as eachother, but it did seem like Liam just wanted to keep on rockin' and Noel got all "muso" and started hanging about with people that they both used to mock.
    It goes much deeper than that.

Noel got the rough end of the beatings from their Dad as a kid, Liam was younger and the one their Mum was most successful at protecting.  Ironically when they got famous and their Dad wanted to build bridges, of their money I'd imagine, Liam's reaction was more aggressive than Noel's.

Noel does seem to rankle easily at any challenges to his talent, probably one of the reasons he doesn't get on well with Andy Bell these days.  I can imagine Noel's reaction if Liam comes in with a belter written by him and his songwriting team, not positive!

Ultimately, they are brothers, and eventually they will forgive each other.  Whether that gets the band back together is moot.  The two of them defined a period in British music history and their solo careers, for me, have both been excellent.

I'm equally happy with or without a reunion personally.  I'd watch their inevitable Glasto set on the telly but I doubt I'd drop £150 a go for tickets to Wembley or wherever.
  • Oh God. Not more sub par Beatles pastiches played in a plodding pub rock style. I cannot stand them (and I did see them live) and their success helped to finish off a lot of amazing early 90's indie bands who didn't fit the new laddish, britpop mould. Their fans will enjoy it immensely I'm sure, I'll just look the other way. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 792
    Hope so. 5 of family going to see Noel at Audley End in August so would be nice if this transmogrified into Oasis concert! :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4075
    I guess it would be good for the generation of Oasis fans who missed them first time round, like I got to see The Stone Roses on their reunion tours and I will always appreciate that.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3332

Neither. Based on the Coxon tweet, get him in on lead and go all 90s throwback theatre touring band and get Damon from OCS on bass. :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14794
    I draw comparisons with three superficially unlikely candidates.

1) Six Of The Best - the one-off Genesis/Gabriel reunion concert after Peter sunk rather too much money into underwriting WOMAD. 

2) Pink Floyd 
    It took a charitable cause and a hefty shove from Bob Geldof to get Waters, Wright, Mason and Gilmour to share the same stage for Live8.

At the time, in answer to the inevitable press speculation, Gilmour stated that there was no point reforming the classic line-up unless there was a bunch of decent new material to record and take on tour. (He knew full well that there was none.)

3) The Cream
    The 2005 reunion concerts at the Royal Albert Hall saw the trio in (relatively) good humour in each other's company. After the US dates were added, things turned nasty. By then, Baker had probably found out that Bruce earned more than him. Fisticuffs time time.

An Oasis reunion could work as a one-off event. Glastonbury, Reading, Donnington, G-MEX, the Eithad Stadium, Hyde Park. Any one of those but just one. A special occasion for the fans but not together long enough for the old resentments to spoil things.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    I really like the first Beady Eye album...
  • ALRALR Frets: 146
    I became an Oasis fan at 14 after seeing the video for Shakermaker on the chart show. Followed their every move for years, my first gig was the Saturday night at Knebworth. Noel influenced me to pick up the guitar. That said, I would not want them to reunite.

As others have said, Oasis were a moment in time in the 1990s. Like them or not there's an argument from the Gallagher brothers being the last rock and roll stars in the classic sense, and they should stay in the past.

I've actually really enjoyed Noel's solo work since the split, and it's been interesting watching him embrace some of the influences I'd hear him talk about in the 1990s. I think he truly does whatever he wants without pressure from anyone else, and is happy to be lower key - I'm sure he has nothing to prove to himself.

I got Liam's first album, and while it was nice to hear his voice again I've not put it on for years. Even in 1995 they put his vocals for Morning Glory through an Eventide harmoniser to correct the pitch (there's a Sound on Sound article where Owen Morris confirms), and his voice now sounds so processed I can't imagine it bears much relation to what actually comes out of his mouth. The fans are lapping it up, but it's not for me.

I'm looking forward to Noel's forthcoming solo album. I really think he's one of the best when it comes to melody, I just wish he'd put a little more time on his lyrics!
    mhep mhep mhep!