Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Singers' voices you cayn't stayund...

What's Hot
I'll start the ball rolling:

Anastacia - I hate that gargling warble she calls a singing voice...

Scott Stapp - The ultimate Eddie Vedder clone but worse for it.

Ed Kowalczyk/Billy Corgan - They've got that horrid, piercing nasal honk to their voices that makes me want to rip my ears off...

Liam Gallagher - SEEEEIIIIIIIINNNEEEE - that's what the sun does if you believe him...
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    Olly Murs, does my head in.

Michael Buble, so much autotune it hurts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Michael Buble

Jon Newman, Live though more than the Studio recording, live, he sounded like he had quickly choked down a Mars Bar and had to start singing before it had all gone down properly.

Tom Odell, but I appreciate his songwriting talent.

Chris Martin, oddly I like some Coldplay songs though, just a case of putting up with it I guess.

Joe Elliot, a terrible Faux American accent he puts on, again, oddly I like a few Def Leppard tracks.

There is likely many more.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73082
    I like Anastacia and Billy Corgan.

Completely agreed about Liam (and Noel for that matter) Gallagher.

For me...

Alicia Keys - except on Empire State Of Mind, for some reason.

Tanita Tikaram

John Martyn

Heather Small

Kanye West/Ne-Yo/Usher/Akon/Drake/Chris Brown/Craig David/etc - identikit autotuned talentless twats who all think they're God's gift.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 692
    Miles Kennedy, although for some reason I'm perfectly happy with it on the new Slash album.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would also add:

Maverick Sabre - Sounds like Deputy Dawg after all his teeth have been smashed out...

Jon Bon Jovi - Sounds like he's trying far too hard and it makes me cringe.

George Ezra - Like the lovechild of Rick Astley and Gary Stringer from Reef...

Good call by someone else on Joe Elliott as well - I also like some of DL's tunes but not because of his singing; as mentioned, that cringey half American drawl - like on Hysteria etc...
  • Tim Burgess.
    Bob Dylan
    Billy Corgan
    Myles Kennedy
    Simon Fowler
    post-Jacksons Michael Jackson
    Mika
    Ali Campbell

• @ICBM - Heather Nova...

I'm joking actually - I have no idea what she sounds like, just a pop at your appalling lack of judgement on John Martyn....

I've thought about this and come to the conclusion that the voices I like are very varied - from Peter Gabriel to John Lennon, from Joni Mitchell to Chrissie Hynde.

The only ones I tend not to like are 'bubble-gum' voices, that carry no real emotion - Kylie/Cheryl Vasquez Harnadez PTang PTang Ole Biscuit Barrel, et al....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • T Pain and most badly executed Autotune.

Cheryl Cole/Tweedy/Whatever, see Autotune dislike above.

Too Many Faux mockney accented songstrels/popsters.

Aaar Liam and Noel too, nasal and whiny. Like a lot of their songs though.

All of one direction.

Ed Sheeran

Any amount singers on angsty songs in teen or rom com movies, yes i am looking at you Twilight and the rest.
  • Anastacia I quite like and she does stuff for the same charidee I have a connection to ( although they have her picture on the website but not me for some reason...) so I'm speaking up in her defence! However, I'll go a +1 on Miles Kennedy as someone in need of a gag. And never understood the fuss about Adel.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16403
    edited September 2014
    Tim Burgess.
    Bob Dylan
    Billy Corgan
    Myles Kennedy
    Simon Fowler
    post-Jacksons Michael Jackson
    Mika
    Ali Campbell

I once saw Ali's dad folk singer Ian Campbell. I think 'acquired taste' would be the kind way of putting it. May he rest in peace, obviously.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6245
    Carol Decker of T'Pau -- If anyone was ever in dire need of autotuning it was here.

Chris de Burgh
    Chris de Burgh..
    ....Oh  and did I mention Chris de Burgh...  like finger-nails down a blackboard.

John Newman... sounds like he's swallowed a golf-ball.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • johnnyurq;360139" said:

Too Many Faux mockney accented songstrels/popsters
    This as well - that guy from Bastille deserves a mention I reckon.
  • The guy from The 1975. I believe he's Denise Welch and Dennis Off Auf Wiedersehen Pet's lad. Sings like a c#nt, either way.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73082
    @ICBM - Heather Nova...

I'm joking actually - I have no idea what she sounds like, just a pop at your appalling lack of judgement on John Martyn....
    lol. I actually have come across people who don't like her voice! I don't understand that any more than you probably can't understand why I can't stand John Martyn...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2040
    Mick Jagger. Like fingernails down a blackboard.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    edited September 2014
    Matt Bellamy. I just can't effing stand him at all. The bloke out of the Temperance Movement... it sounds put on to me.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• 'Er from the Cranberries. Every time I hear her voice, my ears feel like they are trying to vomit. It's that unpleasant!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23695
    Agreed about Billy Corgan - I loved Smashing Pumpkins in the early years but as they went on his songwriting seemed to emphasise the whininess in his voice more and more.  I find them very hard to listen to now.

And I hate to say it, but.... Bruce Dickinson.  Not all the time, but sometimes his voice is absolutely horrendous. "Back in the Village" from Powerslave springs to mind.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Scott Weiland too - especially on Interstate Love Song.

And that fella from The Calling with that awful song they had - you can sort of see where I'm going with some of these; Vedder clones annoy me.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    No mention of Axl Rose yet?

Just awful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom