Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I spend £3000 a term on my childs education so she can marry a rich man

What's Hot

Comments

• don't get me wrong, I hate the daily mail
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited September 2014
    Evilmags said:
    ToneControl;363536" said:
    capo4th said:

£3000 a term is cheap, education is expensive

state school is £5500 a year last I heard, so private school at £10k a year is not as expensive as people think, but AFAIK there is no way to get the £5500 knocked off
    Within that average there is a massive variance. From under a grand to we'll over twenty...

My son is 5 and his school is £13200 a year and we are by no means rich! Add in the extras and after school care you are looking at £15000+! This price will go up as he gets older. Private school goes against all my principals but we are forced into this situation by the poor standards and over subscription of local schools in the London area. Hopefully he meets a nice well educated girl who can provide for herself!
  • capo4th;364091" said:
    Evilmags said:

ToneControl;363536" said:capo4th said:

£3000 a term is cheap, education is expensive

state school is £5500 a year last I heard, so private school at £10k a year is not as expensive as people think, but AFAIK there is no way to get the £5500 knocked off

Within that average there is a massive variance. From under a grand to we'll over twenty...

My son is 5 and his school is £13200 a year and we are by no means rich! Add in the extras and after school care you are looking at £15000+! This price will go up as he gets older. Private school goes against all my principals but we are forced into this situation by the poor standards and over subscription of local schools in the London area.

Hopefully he meets a nice well educated girl who can provide for herself!
    And him to, in a pinch. :D
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    VimFuego said:
    Parker said:
    Evilmags;363336" said:
    Three grand a term is hardly major public school. If you want a top notch husband the 32,000 a year for Marlborough is closer to the amount you have to spend, not to mention all the clothes and accessories required for an aspirant sloane ranger....
    Yes, it worked for the Middletons!!!

that's harsh, it's only worked for one.
    Which in turn has opened doors for the others ..... :-)

The mother fails on one major count - children never listen to their parents so the daughter will probably go to uni, do chemistry at Cambridge and then run off with a hot Islamist to Syria to join ISIL and make bombs. The mum will then be back in the Daily Mail ranting about suing the school ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FWIW I went to my local comp, got into Oxford and found myself a city lawyer :D

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15905
    well, if ISIL are insisting on those qualifications they are gonna have one hell of time recruiting people.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Sh*t parenting. Not the concept (necessarily), but sticking your daughter in the media like that over that kind of story.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    My wife spent her school years in boarding school, prep school - the whole works.
    I can still see the disappointment on her parents faces when they met me. Apparently they hoped I was a phase she'd grow out of. That was 1988 and I think they're still waiting
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    VimFuego said:
    Parker said:
    Evilmags;363336" said:
    Three grand a term is hardly major public school. If you want a top notch husband the 32,000 a year for Marlborough is closer to the amount you have to spend, not to mention all the clothes and accessories required for an aspirant sloane ranger....
    Yes, it worked for the Middletons!!!

that's harsh, it's only worked for one.

I'll have the other 'un. Drop her off when the wife goes to work. Nice arse.

My Mrs left home at 14yrs, shite parents, dropped out of education, had a mortgage at 18yrs, got a degree at 25yrs, another one before 30yrs, (both on my credit cards, which she failed to mention until I saw the saw the balances, bless...) earns at least twice the amount I do (which I am very happy about), and quite frankly, will only look to earn more. She's 30. She went to a reasonable state school in Co Durham. And she ended up with me! The lucky bitch.  ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    fing is, education is big business now. Down here, the universities and out reached campuses are major economic drivers; towns like Exeter, Plymouth, Falmouth etc. rely on the universities to bring in wealth. You cut them down to a "proper" level and you'll have much wailing and gnashing.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    VimFuego;364747" said:
    stickyfiddle said:
    i
    On a related note, this is excellent: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11124612/Todays-university-students-are-being-sold-a-lie.html

fing is, education is big business now. Down here, the universities and out reached campuses are major economic drivers; towns like Exeter, Plymouth, Falmouth etc. rely on the universities to bring in wealth. You cut them down to a "proper" level and you'll have much wailing and gnashing.
    There is a fair bit of truth in that. Exeter is at least reasonably highly regarded though. Even secretaries are graduates these days. I get the wanting to avoid real work for four years, but unless it is Russell group or specific to a profession it's probably not worth getting into debt for.
  • I work in Canterbury - The two big universities here are the big drivers for development - constant expansion at the campus of one of them and new buildings in town all the time for the other.

The thing is, it's like some Premier League clubs - you get the feeling that the whole thing's on a knife edge, and one slip will send the whole thing crashing down.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • VimFuego said:
    Sure, but it's not real money. It's almost entirely based on student debt and therefore future taxation. You can't keep growing on that basis.

I agree there'd be much discomfort if it had a big change, same as a house market drop, but you wonder if it'd be better off in the long run (Iceland looked fucked a few years ago but they're doing very well now). The entire last 10 years of government policy feels geared towards managing the hole in the pension pot, propping up an overpriced house market and sending shitloads of kids to uni just to keep them off the unemployment stats.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    heh, it's worse than that. Not only will you have a deeply indebted generation, but they'll also be paying the pension and healthcare costs of the baby boomer generation which is a demographic time bomb waiting to go off as well as paying inflated housing costs. That's a lot of costs they'll have to pay, glad I don't have kids.

• VimFuego said:

other industries have shrunk, it is possible. A few Univs closing or shrinking could help people understand supply/demand

They need to start increasing the proportion of useful courses, with incentives as pointed out, and stop trying to pretend that 50% of people are well-served by degree-level traditional-format studies

• Looking at the mother, I'm guessing that's the only pearl necklace she's ever had that hasn't been paid for.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    VimFuego said:
    Spot on. What people forget when moaning about the education sector is the amount of revenue and tax it generates from overseas pupils. A reasonable percentage of the boys at Eton will be foreign. The UK is also exporting education with big projects in China, Africa and Vietnam. Better to export education than bombs.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    A good education is a useful key or a springboard to many things. The fact is if people don't use it then it's a waste. Too many graduates still doing general jobs that could be done by anyone with half a brain. I think a lot of young people today lack ambition and self motivation. They seem to want everything presented to them on a silver platter along with a fat salary. They don't understand the concept of hardwork.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • if you send 50% of kids to uni, they cannot all get "top jobs", and most of them won't be all that bright

If you changed the entrance rule for Mensa from top 2% to top 50%, you wouldn't increase the number of really bright people by a factor of 25, you'd just be drawing a line somewhere different

If only 10% of the population are fortunate enough to be clever enough to succeed as an actuary, lawyer, account or doctor, accountant, etc, then pushing the next 40% through lesser universities won't change what they are capable of, or what jobs there are that need filling: we don't need 30 million incompetent doctors, just the necessary number of competent ones 

btw the only reason unis run courses for lots of students from overseas is pure business. Don't believe for one minute that it doesn't seriously compromise the unis for the Uk students. Fee paying foreign students can expect a lot of leeway and assistance getting degrees (higher degrees especially). What do you think this does to the reputation of Uk unis around the world when these people represent the UK institutions? As well as that, it leaves the UK lecturers with less time to spend on UK students who have English as a first language. I'm not convinced that the fees from overseas students is a serious contribution to GDP

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom