Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I spend £3000 a term on my childs education so she can marry a rich man

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2739

if you send 50% of kids to uni, they cannot all get "top jobs", and most of them won't be all that bright

If you changed the entrance rule for Mensa from top 2% to top 50%, you wouldn't increase the number of really bright people by a factor of 25, you'd just be drawing a line somewhere different

If only 10% of the population are fortunate enough to be clever enough to succeed as an actuary, lawyer, account or doctor, accountant, etc, then pushing the next 40% through lesser universities won't change what they are capable of, or what jobs there are that need filling: we don't need 30 million incompetent doctors, just the necessary number of competent ones 

btw the only reason unis run courses for lots of students from overseas is pure business. Don't believe for one minute that it doesn't seriously compromise the unis for the Uk students. Fee paying foreign students can expect a lot of leeway and assistance getting degrees (higher degrees especially). What do you think this does to the reputation of Uk unis around the world when these people represent the UK institutions? As well as that, it leaves the UK lecturers with less time to spend on UK students who have English as a first language. I'm not convinced that the fees from overseas students is a serious contribution to GDP

I used to work a prestigious UK university, and can confirm that fee paying overseas students received preferential treatment, to the point I would say is unethical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Another brilliant example of the UK taking care of visitors before looking after our own....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfamps said:

I used to work a prestigious UK university, and can confirm that fee paying overseas students received preferential treatment, to the point I would say is unethical.
    and me too, half the students I saw awarded higher degrees would have failed if they were UK students. Long time ago, but I suspect things will be worse rather than better
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    She could alternately get her daughter to hand around some Manchester, Liverpool or East London ghettos and keep an eye out for the next emerging Wayne Rooney to latch on to. Definitely much cheaper then sending her to private school :D

If this is what the girl wants then who are we to be shocked by this. Plenty of women marry for money but whilst this might be her dream now, I suspect the reality might in the long term if she gets her dream is that she'll end up in cliched loveless marriage until her 40's at which point her husband will divorce her for the much better looking younger model, probably his secretary or a work colleague.

His solicitor will make sure she gets very little of his fortune and she'll then find herself in a position that she probably needs to get a job and whilst she's been well educated the fact that she hasn't worked for 20 odd years means means her education will mean nothing anymore and she'll have to make do with a run of the mill job and then have to shop in 2nd hand boutique stores to try and keep up appearances.

Her dream after that will be to find another man to support her but in her 40's it will be unlikely. 

Alternately, she might just meet someone whose not rich, she falls in love and has a normal life or she'll live the above, might not get divorced but spend her whole life knowing that her husband is cheating on her is he doesn't divorce her. 

Marrying for the wrong reasons IMHO never works.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Needless to say I think this woman is a filthy gold digging whore and I hope she dies in a nursing home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx;372549" said:
    Needless to say I think this woman is a filthy gold digging whore and I hope she dies in a nursing home.
    Is that a BUPA nursing home, my grumpy chum?
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    ToneControl;365417" said:
    jpfamps said:

ToneControl said:

and me too, half the students I saw awarded higher degrees would have failed if they were UK students. Long time ago, but I suspect things will be worse rather than better
    It rings true of my MBA course. Although a couple of Tim Nice but Dim types also scraped passes. No such luck for me in Spain, as Austrian Economists tend to be hard core meritocrats. That said three Chinese students were caught faking qualifications. The Chinese guys that got through did unfeasible amounts of work.

I will say that until you deal with higher level books and lectures in a foreign language you have no idea how hard it can be. If any Spanish speakers want to try they can Google Jesus Huerta de Soto. His lectures, all on you tube, are delivered at a speed which would pit Eminem to shame. Technical foreign is a lot harder than domestic foreign when it comes to language. It is easy to forget that a lot of overseas students sound a lot less knowledgeable than they are because of the language barrier. I know what speaking in front of 100 people on economics or banking research in Spanish or French feels like, and it is a much less comfortable place than in English.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    £3,000? You could buy your own school for that round these parts.