The first track/song that ever really blew your mind!

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6252
What was the absolute first song/track that ever blew you away. That track that completely redefined your understanding of music and what was our there in this big old world of ours?
That truly WTF moment!

As a 12 year old back in 1971, This turned my world upon its head:

Speed King by Deep Purple..

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    edited February 2023
    I liked music from a very early age but the one thing I remember hearing for the first time was A Day in the Life on the Beatles ‘Blue’ double album. I must have been 10 or 11 at the time. Lennon’s vocal was like nothing I’d ever heard. A definite realisation that music could be something other than a nice tune…
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5037
    G’bye to Jane, Slade
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    I think getting into music was quite a gradual process for me - from Disney soundtracks to "Big Movie Themes" albums, to Top of the Pops, to buying my first few singles, then albums.  I honestly can't think of any particular song which really blew me away, there was no road to Damascus moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited February 2023
    "Purple Haze" by Jimi Hendrix.  Early 1967.  I was 12.
    All or most of the pop/rock/soul/blues music I'd heard up to then had been amazing, new, exciting and different but this was completely beyond all that.

And I still love 'Speed King'.  I played "Made In Japan" yesterday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1571
    edited February 2023
    New Years Day by U2…. Appeared on a “chart hits” double cassette compilation album. Amongst all the early 80s pop dross on the compilation, it stood out like a beacon and set me on my way, musically speaking.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3204
    Kate Bush singing Wuthering Heights had me drooling and wanting to hear (and see) it again from memory. I was 11 I think. 

It was in 1982 where I got into this band, following a school trip to Germany where this song was played relentlessly and became like a soundtrack to those 5 days and the school year that followed. I was too young to appreciate them back in 1978 but they had a massive impact on me aged 15/16 until the end of my schooldays back in 1983.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    edited February 2023
    Honestly Smells Like Teen Spirit. I was pretty late to it but a friend brought the CD over when I was 12. He was a bit older than me. It was the first time I'd felt that any music had been 'for' me. Completely the experience you describe @equalsql, same age as well

I'd never really been into any of the rock music before that, Guns'n'Roses and stuff. AC/DC was fun, Thunderstruck, but more like as school disco sort of thing. Music to run around to

I was a bit of a weird kid. I listened to classical music a lot, and then Queen and chart music, and then grunge. I had A Night At the Opera on a cassette dubbed off my uncle's record player which I adored but I'm hindsight must have sounded like total shit lol
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    California Dreaming Mama’s & Papa’s 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The absolute first was probably The Lion King soundtrack to be honest
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Whola Lotta Love. Aged about 5 or 6. My brother (who would have been 16 or 17) let me listen to it through headphones... 
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5651
    edited February 2023
    A Day in the Life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2061
    Probably Live & Let Die which obviously combined music with movies that blew my mind as a kid.

In my teens though it was listening to Oasis that made me think to pick up a guitar.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6252
    Rocker said:
    G’bye to Jane, Slade
    That's a belter ain't it, my favourite track by them.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • maharg101 said:
    Whola Lotta Love. Aged about 5 or 6. My brother (who would have been 16 or 17) let me listen to it through headphones... 
    Like this?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 988
    Child in time from made in Japan.

A friend lent don't to me aged about 14. It just about exploded my head.

• Up to that point, I'd only ever really listened to a bit of blues and my dad's collection of 60s and 70s rock, and it completely changed the way I looked at music and playing guitar.
    <space for hire>
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I was about 14, it was 1977. I had discovered the top 40 in the past 6 months and was really into it. Then I heard Santana, She's not there and the guitar solo was the most exciting thing I had ever heard! I still think it's a great song and solo.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31157
    This little masterpiece.

I can actually remember the first time I played it too!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Up to that point, I'd only ever really listened to a bit of blues and my dad's collection of 60s and 70s rock, and it completely changed the way I looked at music and playing guitar.
     @digitalscream ;Oh no...the cover art's gone wrong! ;)

'Surfing...' is a good call...although I'd heard 'Eat 'Em and Smile' by then.