The first track/song that ever really blew your mind!

What's Hot

Comments

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 410
    Elvis Presley -  Marie's The Name (His Latest Flame) When I was around eight. Still love it now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3057
    edited February 2023
    After being mainly into Iron Maiden, but only casually, music wasn't such a big thing. Then, at 15, I heard Dragging Me Down by the Inspiral Carpets and became totally obsessed with it, buying the 12-inch and playing it over and over. It was the first time I'd felt such a way about a song. Soon after I was completely into indie, and grunge, buying records, the NME, which led to buying a guitar, music became my life. The chorus and outro are superb and the organ intro is such a hook. This is how you end a song, even its a fade out

• Vertigo by U2 - Think it was on fairly heavy rotation on radio at the time. I loved the music video too. How to Dismantle an Atomic bomb was my first 'grown up' (not boyband) CD.
  • equalsql said:
    What was the absolute first song/track that ever blew you away. That track that completely redefined your understanding of music and what was our there in this big old world of ours?
    That truly WTF moment!

As a 12 year old back in 1971, This turned my world upon its head:

Speed King by Deep Purple..

11 or 12 year old in 79 in cleethorpes , I just got a tape recorder & my cousin sent me a mix of deep purple & rainbow . Smoke on the water 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    equalsql said:
    What was the absolute first song/track that ever blew you away. That track that completely redefined your understanding of music and what was our there in this big old world of ours?
    That truly WTF moment!

11 or 12 year old in 79 in cleethorpes , I just got a tape recorder & my cousin sent me a mix of deep purple & rainbow . Smoke on the water 
    This is mind blowing for 1971. It has aged extremely well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    I borrowed a mate's tape of this when I was 11. Up until then my musical tastes were more Showaddywaddy.

At the time this was so strange, and otherworldly.

TBH, it bores me to tears now.

• roberty said:
    equalsql said:
    That truly WTF moment!

This is mind blowing for 1971. It has aged extremely well

Ooh I must say though 10 year old me saw a video of fanfare for the common man by Emmerson Lake & Palmer around 77 they were playing in that huge empty stadium in Canada and it looked snowy & they had big leather jackets on & the music was pounding , that blew me away too ,but deep purple were more accessible . I did have that brain salad surgery album with the foldout gatesleeve cover but ended up selling it to a friend 
  • Kilgore said:
    I borrowed a mate's tape of this when I was 11. Up until then my musical tastes were more Showaddywaddy.

I did have Phaedra  it was good but it ended up being sold to the guy I sold brain salad surgery & wish you were here to , & I stuck with purple ,rainbow & whitesnake 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    The first pop song I ever liked as a child was David Bowie’s Space Oddity - I think I was about 5, and it was just because it was about space… I had no idea who David Bowie was until years later, I just called it Major Tom.

The first song that changed my understanding of music was ABBA’s SOS. I’ve loved that happy sound/sad lyrics thing (and ABBA) ever since.

The first that completely blew my mind was the first Deep Purple song I heard, probably either Speed King, Highway Star or maybe Woman From Tokyo (first track on 24 Carat Purple).

All still probably in my top twenty songs ever.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Kilgore said:

I did have Phaedra  it was good but it ended up being sold to the guy I sold brain salad surgery & wish you were here to , & I stuck with purple ,rainbow & whitesnake 
    The next albums I borrowed from the same mate were Machine Head and Bat Out of Hell.

I bought several Tangerine Dream albums over the years. Looking back, I was trying to relive that feeling I had when I first listened to Stratosfear.

Never happened, I'd rather listen to Shoaddywaddy.  :3
  • I loved music throughout my childhood. But the moment I realised I'd found my home was getting home with my vinyl copy of the newly released Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden and spinning for the first time. The evil in Bruce's voice as he sang track one Moonchild blew my 15 year old mind. 

• randellarandella Frets: 4386
    I was exposed to a lot of music growing up, some really good stuff. I think  the first record I heard where I thought "yep, this is for me" was Appetite for Destruction. I still remember hearing it for the first time.

The amount of absolute arse that was coming out of the Hollywood scene and its imitators at the time - Appetite stuck out like a nugget of gold. Loud and nasty, played by a bunch of guys who very clearly understood what it was that made rock great.

Next on the "mind blown" list was Surfing with the Alien, as per @digitalscream. Appetite was first though.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1999
    edited February 2023

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5011
    Mine would be this, I think the whole album actually scared me at the time. At that point I'd already been drawn in by heavy rock that my Dad liked, such as Purple, Zeppelin and lots of AOR. However I'd heard Paradise, Welcome, and SCOM too at this point and some bits and bobs like Maiden/Quo. My best mate lent me a tape with this on backed with No Prayer which never got a look in really :) The opening bars of Blackened with just James's guitar caught my ear and then the band came in and hit me like a freight train, had never heard anything like it, such a stark sounding, dark album. I was hooked from then on in really. Still am to this day, one of my fave albums.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• maharg101 said:
    Whola Lotta Love. Aged about 5 or 6. My brother (who would have been 16 or 17) let me listen to it through headphones... 
    Like this?

No, haha, just before Mum said "time for bed !!". I was gutted not to be allowed to listen to the rest of LP, but I soon made up ground !
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11444
    There was plenty of music that I found really good but the first thing that left me speechless with awe was the full version of "Light My Fire" by The Doors. I still, all those years later, haven't heard anything that had such an effect on me. 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    "One of these nights" by the Eagles. The guitar playing in general, and the intro in particular, is mesmerising.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    edited March 2023
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    Devil#20 said:
    I don’t really know the answer to the question but Hocus Pocus would be a contender. My eldest brother gave me a couple of records and the long version was on a compilation album. Yes, mind blown. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 363
    edited March 2023
    I came across it years later, but it's this one...