Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Microsoft: Windows 8 sucks; Windows 9 has been scrapped; Hail Windows 10

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27125
    edited October 2014
    imalone said:
    FTFY ;)
    Though according to wikipedia Windows 1.0 apps will run. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1.0 I've never actually met a windows 1.0 binary.

Suspect the "Windows 9" is just a joke though (I thought it was funny anyway). I can well believe there's code like that around, but this sounds like more of a marketing decision.
    Sorry, my bad - support for 16-bit programs was removed in 64-bit versions of Windows, but some of them may run under XP mode in 32-bit Windows (x86 versions, obviously...Windows RT is 32-bit, but won't run them on an ARM CPU). 
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    No, because there's no code that would run on Windows 1.0 that would ever run on a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.
    I'm not getting my point across. I'm not talking about Windows 1 at all.
    I'm talking about Windows 10 and subsequent builds having the '1' at the beginning - as in 11, 12, 13, 14 etc.

Like I said I'm no programmer but if Win 9 was ditched cus of the code that might conflict with Win 95 and 98 (because of the presence of the '9' in the code) then will the same issue not arise with Win 11 which will be next after Win 10..? 

Seems like the same thing to me.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    No, because there's no code that would run on Windows 1.0 that would ever run on a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.
    I'm not getting my point across. I'm not talking about Windows 1 at all.
    I'm talking about Windows 10 and subsequent builds having the '1' at the beginning - as in 11, 12, 13, 14 etc.

Like I said I'm no programmer but if Win 9 was ditched cus of the code that might conflict with Win 95 and 98 (because of the presence of the '9' in the code) then will the same issue not arise with Win 11 which will be next after Win 10..? 

Seems like the same thing to me.
    You are :P

;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Just got windows 8.1 on the laptop and its not as bad as I feared it would be.
    Old Is Gold
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    edited October 2014
    Jalapeno said: You are :P

;)

Ok so now we've established that I am indeed the worlds most preeminent coder I have written my own version of the Windows 9
    'excuse code'.

if(version.StartsWIth("Windows 9) {turn it the fuck off and start OS X}

just kidding windoze fanboiz

:P
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tried a hackintosh, could never get it 100% stable. Would work for weeks without a hitch then suddenly go all crashy with no hardware/software changes.